Damion Cook... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Damion Cook...

Jeno James was a very bad acquisition in my opinion. I really do not understand why he has so many defenders on this site. Maybe it was because we were so desperate for O-linemen last year, and when he came he was billed as being a real nasty and tough player. But he was a weak spot on a bad line last year, and never attained the promise that was ascribed to him. He is definitely not worth the cash we dropped on him. DON"T BELIEVE THE HYPE.

As far as other lineman are concerned, it is really hard to predict where people are going to play. I would think that McDougall, Carey, Hadnot, Cook , St. Clair and D-Mac will be the top candidates to get on the line. Who will be the odd man out, and where they will all play however is a mystery to me.

Oboy said:
That is the big question. McKinney showed some promise two years ago... hopefully Houck can get him up to par. OR we can have St. Clair or Hadnot step in. We'll see!

I thought there was talk that Wade Smith would be tried at Center. Perhaps he will be starting there by the opener.

If Houck is as good as advertised, he is exactly the OL coach we need for a line like this--plenty of young, raw talent with flexibility as to who plays where, mixed in with a couple of guys who are decent veterans (James, McDougle). They might develop into a solid OLine this year with decent depth.

The key position (verified by Saban) is LT. If someone steps up and is solid there (McIntosh, Carey), this line can be good. If not, we will struggle this year on offense and may have to use our 1st round pick in the 2006 draft on one of the potentially-great LTs.

Oboy said:
That is the big question. McKinney showed some promise two years ago... hopefully Houck can get him up to par. OR we can have St. Clair or Hadnot step in. We'll see!
I hold out some hope for Wade Smith. He is a smart player (swithed positions recently), has some speed and agility to get to the next level (was a TE) and showed some promise as a rookie. Many scouts had him projected as a C out of college. Of course in Wanny's infinite wisdom, Smith become a LT. :shakeno:

jeno gets a bum rap b/c of the crappy game that mckinney played last year.
Mckinney's garbage, Macintoch was recovering from an injury, and he was cought in the middle of this, IMO hes a great run blocker that can pull and explodes through the hole and a decent pass blocker. hopfully hadnot will play center, carey at RG and mckinney will get cut or something as long as he dosent play a snap i'll be happy.

:cooldude: Trust me Cook is a heel of a player. He played defense while attending Bethune Cookman College. With Hock's help Cook will rip a new one in some D lineman arse. 1 st Damian Cook than Rashian Mathis and now Nick Collins thats pretty damn good for a 1AA school Lets Go Wildcats and Alrightt Miami. :cool:

armyfinfan said:
Jeno James is our starting LG period. He is a good player and may get noticed more this year with the rest of the line improving.

You are right on there. Don't get this discussion.
Jeno James has already proven himself in this league and played very well with the Panthers. Then he gets dumped in a trash heap with 4 deadbeats playing around him. How do you think the guy is going to look trying to block his assignments and trying to cover Mckinney's mistakes at the same time. James will do fine with Houck and a better crew around him. Cook is depth that may develop on down the line. He's not going to beat out James. :rolleyes:

albyfinfan said:
jeno gets a bum rap b/c of the crappy game that mckinney played last year.
Mckinney's garbage, Macintoch was recovering from an injury, and he was cought in the middle of this, IMO hes a great run blocker that can pull and explodes through the hole and a decent pass blocker. hopfully hadnot will play center, carey at RG and mckinney will get cut or something as long as he dosent play a snap i'll be happy.

Hadnot is a baller no doubt about it. It would be nice if he could successfully switch over to Center. Question is does Hadnot have the mental ability to anchor the center position?

Trekbiz said:
You are right on there. Don't get this discussion.
Jeno James has already proven himself in this league and played very well with the Panthers. Then he gets dumped in a trash heap with 4 deadbeats playing around him. How do you think the guy is going to look trying to block his assignments and trying to cover Mckinney's mistakes at the same time. James will do fine with Houck and a better crew around him. Cook is depth that may develop on down the line. He's not going to beat out James. :rolleyes:
he should have at least stood out.

Wade Smith should be tried at Center. I think his lower body strength and speed will benefit him there, and his lack of upper body strength won't hurt him as much as it did at LT.

There was something fishy going on with the OL last year. I think Tony Wise was not up to the challenge of teaching 4 new starters his blocking system, with the only holdover being a second year player that was still raw as they come. I think they brought Jeno over to be the strong veteran presence and leader on the OL, to help Wise teach the other guys, but let's face it Jeno needed the extra TLC as much as any of the guys because he was in a completely new blocking system. No coincidence that the guy that stood out the most on the OL was John St. Clair, who had the most experience of any of the OL due to his being moved to every position on the line.

finsnchips said:
yup... spot on.

ATM... I think McIntosh will beat out Carey at LT, and Carey will start at RG, but if Carey plays LT then I think Cook will play RG. It is pheasible that he beats out Jeno.

If McIntosh is 100% healthy, I don't think Carey has a chance of beating him out. McIntosh was a solid LT at San Diego, starting there for 3 years. I also expect that Carey ultimately winds up at RG, where many people suggested he belonged from the moment he was drafted. As for James, I remember in last year's SI Football Preview, where one scout said of James, "To me, he's just another guy, nothing special." I think he played ok last year, but I also think he has a little left to prove to justify his salary.

ckparrothead said:
Wade Smith should be tried at Center. I think his lower body strength and speed will benefit him there, and his lack of upper body strength won't hurt him as much as it did at LT.

Saban has already said that Smith is moving to Center. It will be interesting to see how quickly he takes to the position. He was a TE early in his college career, and didn't have much OL experience, period. Now, he's been asked to learn a more complicated position, due to having to make the line calls. I think Smith has a lot of upside, but I wonder if he'll have enough time to develop to beat out McKinney.

PhinKev said:
I did quite a few reviews of the OL last season, going play by play. Frankly, James was overpowered way too much. Maybe he is better than he showed, but based on last year I wouldn't praise his performance or ability.

Our whole oline was overpowered last season. No one can base a players performance based on last season.

IMO Damien MacIntosh will be solid this year. He knows whats expected from him, as hes played for Houck before, hes healthy and will have a full TC.

finsnchips said:

Actually on a line like Miami had the only players that would stand out would be the guys letting everyone go by. I saw much more pressure coming from the LT spot the RG spot and center. So I would like to know what you would consider standing out on that offensive line.

Back
Top Bottom