Damion Cook... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Damion Cook...

dolphinheel said:
The real question is...who is our center? McKinney is horrible!

Wade Smith will be moved to center to compete with McKinney.

byroan said:
Our whole oline was overpowered last season. No one can base a players performance based on last season.

I can't agree I observed a great deal about our line. I'll say this, St. Clair was consistently good. James didn't make a lot of mental errors, but he was not strong at the point of attack.

aqua vita81 said:
Jeno James...overrated and overpay IMO.
Hes not overrated he blocks well we just had a messed up system last year with an oline coach who didnt know what he was doing.

T tes said:
Hes not overrated he blocks well we just had a messed up system last year with an oline coach who didnt know what he was doing.

Look at the tape, his blocking was not great. Maybe he gave up or was frustrated or whatever, there might be reasons, but overall it was not a great effort by James.

Can we win a SB said:
i think jeno james is very good blocker, more than we think he is.. what he lacks is leadership in the offensive line..

thats what we needed for the oline, he was good at times, but on others seth mckinney made it look like it was james fault.

Leadership is overrated except for the QB. What is Jeno going to do? Yell at all of his fellow lineman about how they suck? That would go over well.

Leadership generally means that you make good decisions for others. QBs do that. You could make the claim that centers do too. Left guards do not make decisions for anyone but themselves.

Leadership gets misinterpretted by many people to mean "getting people to play up." That is the coaches job via schemes. In my experience as a player and coach (diff sport), any player who needs words to play better, will only play better for a few minutes. Coaches want guys who have that inner drive and think of pep-talks as b.s. for the crappy players.

finsnchips said:
we'll see... I like Jeno but he had a horrible year last year and has a lot to prove. More than anything, he's got to prove to Saban that he is worth the money that he is getting paid.

James had a less than spectacular year, but how much of that is due to the rest of the OL, the continuity (or lack thereof) of the OL, and poor coaching and OL blocking schemes...comparing his year to anyone other than perhaps St. Clair last year, you'd have to say he had a good year. You can't forget that he was the starting LG (with a weak LT I might add) for a SB team in the Panthers. They predominantly ran to their strength, which was the right side, but JJ caused some problems for opposing DLs. He'll be back to his normal self this year with improved schemes, better coaching and better continuity between the OL.

As was mentioned above...the LT and C spots are the areas we really need to see improvement in.

dolfanmark said:
Saban has already said that Smith is moving to Center. It will be interesting to see how quickly he takes to the position. He was a TE early in his college career, and didn't have much OL experience, period. Now, he's been asked to learn a more complicated position, due to having to make the line calls. I think Smith has a lot of upside, but I wonder if he'll have enough time to develop to beat out McKinney.

Well, if my memory serves me right, Smith is pretty intelligent. That may be the reason he is being moved (that and it may keep him on the roster). One of our problems is that McKinney seems to be dumb as a rock as far as calling the line schemes goes...that may also be to lack of coaching and setup of the schemes we've had with Wise. We'll have to wait and see. McKinney seemed to me to really get pushed around last year. I didn't notice it as much in past years from him though ?? Perhaps he was thinking too much about the calls and lost the advantage that the OL should get in getting off the snap.

Back
Top Bottom