Dan Marino or John Elway | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dan Marino or John Elway

Dolphan23

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was at a friend's party this weekend and I got into a debate with someone who was a Broncos fan telling me emphatically I may add, that Marino does not deserve to have the type of fame that he had/has. He also mentioned that Elway was way better than Marino. I, of course disagreed. The only difference between the two is that Elway has 2 Super Bowl rings. Other points that he made were as to why Marino was so good only because of Mark Duper and Mark Clayton.Also, he compared Marino to someone who wasn't tough as a player and Peyton is the today Marino as well. Elway, he insisted had no receivers and was still "great." I need some support on this so I figured I would start a thread to hear all of you Dol-Fans explanations for Dan Marino being so great. Because I sure as hell think he was the best :dolphins:

Elway has been sacked more than any other QB in history.

He compared Peyton to Marino? I would compare Eli to Elway, for cryin his way outta town after getting drafted #1.

haha....but seriously though if that were you in a conversation and someone said all of those things to you about Marino not being a tough player and only having great receivers to explain your only excuse to throw 48 tds in a season?

Didn't Elway win those championships when Terrell Davis, which was the best running back at that time, came to the Broncos?

Did Dan Marino ever had a decent running back? No.

Uncle Rico II said:
Elway has been sacked more than any other QB in history.

He compared Peyton to Marino? I would compare Eli to Elway, for cryin his way outta town after getting drafted #1.

bro, you have the best sig on this board.:sidelol:

Elway didn't win those rings until he had a Great back named Terrell Davis, who if he weren't so injury prone would be easily challenging Emmitt's yards record in a few years here. He also had the best tight end of the last 20 years, plus Ed MC, Rod Smith, etc... There were also some great defenses over there. This is obviously going to get a lot of posts in Marino's favor, but outside of being a Dolphins fan, I would think it would be 50/50 just due to those 2 rings. Marino's numbers are insane considering he never had top flight talent on offense to support him.

Even if Marino wasn't a Dolphin, I'd still say he'd be better. Elway didn't win his rings until Terrell Davis came along and that defense started to play better. Marino didn't have any of that. If he had the 2003 Ricky Williams and our defense in 2000-03, we'd be a lock for the Super Bowl.

marino.elway wouldnt have done much better without a good rb

the difference between Marino and Elway was that Elway made the changes to keep their offense on the field .. Marino made the other teams change the way they play defense to try to get their offense off the field

IMO 1 and 2 of all time. but posting this on a dolphins board, what answer do you expect?

What boggles my mind is how the winningest coach of all time, the one that led his team to a perfect undefeated season in 72' Don Shula could not put together a team around Marino to take it all. I love Shula but man why couldn't he get some better players around Dan the Man.

Rant done sorry

It sounds to me that the guy you got into this discussion with is a little jealous that Marino is still so popular with the fans and Elway isn't (at all really). Don't get me wrong, Elway is still regarded by most experts as one of the best of all time, the guy just doesn't (and never did) have the fan base that Marino enjoys.

This is a tough one. First off, I think Marino is the greatest of all time but if
anyone is in the same class as Marino it is Elway.

Elway had plenty of good receivers over the years. He also had consistently
good running games. Everyone remembers Terrel Davis of course because
he was the ticket to the Super Bowl Wins. Elway also had Bobbie Humphrey who rushed for over 1,000 yards in each of his first two seasons and also helped them get to the Super Bowl.
Elway also had the greatest Tight End of the past 20 years.

If you look at the running backs alone, Elway was blessed with a more balanced offense. Elway and Marino are the only two QBs of the past 20 years that could single handedly carry a team. I'm not surprised your friend
thinks Elway was better but to think Marino is over rated is just a joke!

Vertical Limit said:
Didn't Elway win those championships when Terrell Davis, which was the best running back at that time, came to the Broncos?

Did Dan Marino ever had a decent running back? No.

TD was the best RB of all time? no.

i loved TD, but he wasnt close.

Back
Top Bottom