Dan Marino or John Elway | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dan Marino or John Elway

marino never had a great running back he's hands down the greatest QUARTERBACK to ever play the game he holds more records then anybody else the best player should not be determined on who holds the most super bowls it should be who could play the position best and nobody could play it like Dan

PHINZONER said:
John Elways 1st 7 seasons he was never close to an all pro, his passer rtg was 73.6

In his 1st 17 postseason games he threw 16 tds' and 17 ints

Marino never was blown out in a Super Bowl like Elway

120 TDs....That is how many more Marino threw for! That alone is more than most throw in a career.

Marino threw more Td's against the Jets (record 72)alone than most qb's do in a career
Where do charles Jordan, and OJ Mc Duffie rank compeared to targets Elway had?

Marino had to overcome greater deficits in the 4th qtr to winn those games he did! Look it up.

Marino at his prime faced the Super Bowl runner ups 8 times in 4 seasons(the regula season alone).What did Elway face?

Everyone knew Marino threw the ball, and he was supposedly a statue. But the real fact is he threw 600 passes in a season and was sacked only 6 times! Not because the oline was the best ever or even close. It was because Marino had pocket presence, 1 step avoid the sack and get rid of it. Why would Marino run for 5,6, or even 10 yards when he could take 1 step and gain 20?

Bruce Smith retired as the ALL TIME SACK KING!!!!! 200 Sacks, 9.5 against Marino in close to 30 games.

Marino in his prime, was eliminated by Buffalo 3 times b/c the defense gave up 110pts.

I will add much more fire power later, but I have got to run!

This is the best post on this topic! Bring on the ammunition! Sub par Dolphin defenses or not Dan is the greatest qb to play the game..period!! You bring up good FACTUAL points and it is appreciated here. Whenever I have this discussion with another fan of another team who is very vocal about bringing up another qb as best all time I get accused of 'well you are just saying that because you are Dolphin fan ..." I give out a few facts and if they don't agree well.. who cares! My own narrow minded one sided view is just fine knowing that we are right and they are wrong!

Kansasdolfan said:
marino never had a great running back he's hands down the greatest QUARTERBACK to ever play the game he holds more records then anybody else the best player should not be determined on who holds the most super bowls it should be who could play the position best and nobody could play it like Dan

100% agree. People just need to watch the film and compare Dan with anyone else. He dominated the game. The other team's only focus was stoppin him and he still dominated them. That is the mark of a great player. Look at guys like Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, and Lawerence Taylor. You knew what they were going to do, and you still couldn't stop them. That was the case for Dan also. To me, he is in the class with those guys as one of the greatest players of any position.

The broncos offensive line those 2 years was unbelievable. Even if it wasnt Davis back there they would have had someone...trust me. It seemed that the dolphins had a decent line but it seemed to be built for passing untill jimmy got here but hell, he didnt do crap for this team either.

Elway did get to 3 superbowls before the broncos drafted davis. Having shannon sharpe and rod smith didnt hurt either. Face it Marino and Elway are both great QB's but elway simply had a better team around him....pretty much a better front office at the time including the head coach.....i know i know rat face but hes a damn good coach so give him his due. Sadly jimmy was just here to pay off his boat and guranteed his retirement till ..........well his death, and shula was just and the end of his era.

Dolphan23 said:
Hey guys, I was at a friend's party this weekend and I got into a debate with someone who was a Broncos fan telling me emphatically I may add, that Marino does not deserve to have the type of fame that he had/has. He also mentioned that Elway was way better than Marino. I, of course disagreed. The only difference between the two is that Elway has 2 Super Bowl rings. Other points that he made were as to why Marino was so good only because of Mark Duper and Mark Clayton.Also, he compared Marino to someone who wasn't tough as a player and Peyton is the today Marino as well. Elway, he insisted had no receivers and was still "great." I need some support on this so I figured I would start a thread to hear all of you Dol-Fans explanations for Dan Marino being so great. Because I sure as hell think he was the best :dolphins:
Elway had no rings before a real running back arrived in town.....Anyone remember TD Davis, so ask your friend how many great running backs marino had????and id mention that marino never scrambled he passed the ball......and you also might mention 48 tds in asingle seasonLMAO:sidelol:

slyfox13 said:
Elway had no rings before a real running back arrived in town.....Anyone remember TD Davis, so ask your friend how many great running backs marino had????and id mention that marino never scrambled he passed the ball......and you also might mention 48 tds in asingle seasonLMAO:sidelol:

Yeah man definitely good points :)

I'd just like to say thanks again for everyone posting their opinions/discussions on this thread. You all helped out a lot! When I see this guy again I'll let you all know how it went :D

There is no comparsion. Dan was the best. He won most of the games single handley. He was good, accurate, fast and a team player--he just needed a better team to back him up. There were some good receivers like, Clayton, Dupe and Moore, but instead of getting him any more players for the team, they (meaning the powers that be) just sat back and let him try to do it alone. That's why he got hurt and worn out like he did.
dolphindebby

Back
Top Bottom