Daniels CB or SS | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Daniels CB or SS

kingfin

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Why are they saying CB in the draft.I thought he was a SS in LSU with Saban.Anybody no something on this.

kingfin said:
Why are they saying CB in the draft.I thought he was a SS in LSU with Saban.Anybody no something on this.

He was converted to corner. But I think he plays safety for us. FS.

Dubfire said:
He was converted to corner. But I think he plays safety for us. FS.[/QUOTE Ya i hear you,but we his he fast enogh to play FS

From the way Saban talked in his post draft news conference, I think he'll be a nickel/dime back the 1st year or two (if he makes the team, of course). I don't think he's big enough, yet, to play safety. He's still pretty skinny.

But, if he gradually gets a little bigger over the next year or two he could move into that slot.

He's probably moving to FS. Tebucky Jones is at SS, and he's more of a run-stuffer than a pass-defender. So the other safety needs to be pass-minded, like a converted corner.

yankeehillbilly said:
Saban has said he will remain at CB, but since we have Madison, Poole, and Howard at CB, and we have a bit of a shortage at safety, I think he plays safety for us.
... and Mario Edwards.

Daniels will be a cornerback. Nick Saban has always felt that cornerback is Travis's most natural position. Tall frame, long arms, good speed, great ball skills. I believe he will come in and play in the star and money package of Nick's defense, which are his terms for nickle and dime. He's going to make an immediate impact because he can play the outside corner, inside corner, and the safety position.

IMO, his drafting means that Reggie Howard won't be long for Miami. He's been asked to take a pay cut, and he has refused.

Miami's top corners will be Poole and Madison with Daniels and Edwards giving them support off the bench.

No great loss. Reggie was awful last year, and is slated for a pretty decent payday in 2005. I hoped that he could be salvaged this year, but if he's done, he's done.

phunwin said:
No great loss. Reggie was awful last year, and is slated for a pretty decent payday in 2005. I hoped that he could be salvaged this year, but if he's done, he's done.

Im still giving Reggie another year. He was playing out of position last year as a nickelback. Reggie is not a man to man cover corner IMO, I would slate him as more of a zone and off coverage guy and he is an excellent tackler. Poole IMO is more of a press coverage guy, I dont know about him playing zone......

I agree that Reggie RIGHT NOW is overpaid, but if we play more zone defense then Reggie should be worth what we are paying him....... I dont know what Saban's plan for defense is, but we have:

Madison: Good man to man cover corner. Not a good tackler... excellent nudger. I think he has the recovery speed to be good in a zone and Madison has always had great jumps and reads on the ball.

Poole: More of a press man to man corner. I dont think he has the recovery speed that Madison does. Poole is a playmaker but I dont think he is your ideal zone corner CB.

Howard: Excellent tackler. Not a great man to man corner. I wouldnt want him isolated on an island against the other teams #2 WRs. Howard would be a very good zone CB.

So who do we start? If we are playing zone, Madison and Howard. Press its Madison and Poole. I would love to have another guy come in who is like Madison who can be good in a zone AND press coverage scheme. You could disguise your coverage very well if we had 2 guys who can do that... I think Poole is more likely to be able to play both ways than Howard is.... but he isnt the ideal guy.

Daniels comes in competing with Mario Edwards for the dimeback/nickelback position. For once, I have no idea what we do with Poole and Howard. IMO it depends on the coverage scheme we plan on using. Both Daniels and Poole would have adequate size to play FS.... but I dont see either of them floating there. Our secondary is very interesting this year.

I think Daniels was a good pick because he can play either SS or CB

When Nick gets his plan into place, I believe you will see the Dolphins with cornerbacks that are 6'0" to 6'2", 200-205 lbs and safeties that are 6'1" to 6'3", 215-225 lbs that can run, cover, and tackle.

KB21 said:
When Nick gets his plan into place, I believe you will see the Dolphins with cornerbacks that are 6'0" to 6'2", 200-205 lbs and safeties that are 6'1" to 6'3", 215-225 lbs that can run, cover, and tackle.

.....as much as I would love to see that. How long are we talking til he gets his plan into place? Madison, who MAYBE has another 2 years left here is 5'11 around 185ish, Poole, who is a rookie and I think has tremendous upside, is 5'10 190ish, Howard is 6'0 190.

Howard, Daniels, and Mario Edwards would be the only CBs on this roster with the ability to meet that CB criteria.

Safetywise, I agree with you. I like a 6'2 225 lb safety that isnt slow as Sammy Knight for SS and a 6'1 215 LB safety as a FS.

Saban will draft cornerbacks every year, so it won't take long to get the type of corners he wants. Mainly because he will draft corners that fit the criterion he wants.

Back
Top Bottom