Darkhorse Picks for Dolphins at #11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Darkhorse Picks for Dolphins at #11

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
We've talked a lot about Edmunds, Smith, James, Vea and Mayfield. Some about Nelson as well, but who are players that haven't been discussed who could be picked at #11. Here's my list.

Ridley WR --- I doubt Miami goes wide receiver early. The team has drafted three wide receivers in the two drafts since Gase has been hired, though. Plus, they've brought in a lot of collegiate free agent wideouts. If Miami goes Ridley it probably means they aren't sold on Parker getting to that next level. SF or Chicago could take him before that 11th spot as well.

Rudolph QB -- I like Rudolph, but not at #11. Still, you know some team is going to reach for him earlier than expected. Miami, Buffalo and Arizona are the most likely. New Orleans and New England if those teams pass.

Jackson QB --- Gase won with Tim Tebow and could feel that he could work on Jackson's mechanics for a year while he sits behind Tannehill.

Bryan DT -- Bryan needs work in the running game, but he can rush the passer from the middle. That is big for teams like Miami that face NE twice a year and was a big reason the team overpaid so significantly for Suh.

Vander Esch/Evans LB's --- The next LB's in line after Edmunds and Smith. I have a feeling Miami might have both of these guys rated above Smith on their board.

Guice RB --- The #11 spot seems too early for a running back, but he's the move the chains, keep the drive going kind of back Miami needs. I think the team looks for a RB around R3, though.

Josh Jackson DB --- Miami appears set at DB with the way Howard emerged in the second half of the season. But a ballhawk like Jackson could still be considered.

I think DT - Vita Vea is also a dark horse candidate @ #11. He’s a run stuffer and would allow Miami to let an inconsistent Jordan Philips walk after 2018. In terms of Vea, he’s the quintessential run plugger and plays consistently within his athletic abilities. I also like CB - Josh Jackson @ #11 as well, not just because of his abilities, but also because both Lippett and McCain are F/A after the 2018 season. And quite frankly, I think Jackson is better than both and would be a “Huge” upgrade to the Dolphins secondary. As for Derrius Guice, it seems as if, Adam Gase has had his eyes on RB’s ever since he came to Miami. The rumors surrounding Guice to Miami, I think are very real.

Lord help my soul if the dolphins were to take mason Rudolph at 11

There are a few players I would be okay with at 11. Trading down and getting them would be better, but I wouldn't hate some of these names if we stay put.

I don't think Vita Vea is any kind of dark horse. The DT position is pretty much front and center now that they cut Ndamukong Suh, and Vea is generally regarded as the top DT in the class.

Based on what I know, I think some of the more unexpected dark horses would include Leighton Vander Esch, Derrius Guice, and Mike Hughes.

Da'Ron Payne wouldn't shock me. With Miami using the Wide 9 weed need those strong, athletic and quick DT's to cover the gaps. Payne fits the bill imo.

I don't think Vita Vea is any kind of dark horse. The DT position is pretty much front and center now that they cut Ndamukong Suh, and Vea is generally regarded as the top DT in the class.

Based on what I know, I think some of the more unexpected dark horses would include Leighton Vander Esch, Derrius Guice, and Mike Hughes.
I mentioned Vita Vea, because he’s not being mentioned by most Dolfans. I know he’s very good and it makes sense Miami having met with him already. He also shares my mother’s first name, so he’s got a special place in my heart. CK, what are your views on Mike Hughes? I know he’s very good, but why do you view him as a fit in Miami? What’s his game like? I also understand Vanderbilt Esch, he’s solid.

Vander Esch would be my bet that high...the FO would have to be sniffing glue if they took Mason Rudolph @ 11.

Lord help my soul if the dolphins were to take mason Rudolph at 11
I don't think they will, but I do expect he'll go higher than people think. In a way, I see Mason Rudolph as the Kirk Cousins of this draft. There will be a lot of qb's taken before him, but he might end up outplaying some of them.

To my eyes, I don't think he's an upgrade over Ryan Tannehill though.

I could see Gase saying get me my power back and tight end and my offense will be complete. Guice and Andrews going 1-2 for Miami could do that. Not sure they'd be able to find a starting linebacker or defensive tackle from the third round on. That would be the dilemma. But the offense would look pretty good in that scenario.

Reactions: BSQ
I don't think they will, but I do expect he'll go higher than people think. In a way, I see Mason Rudolph as the Kirk Cousins of this draft. There will be a lot of qb's taken before him, but he might end up outplaying some of them.

To my eyes, I don't think he's an upgrade over Ryan Tannehill though.

I just can’t get down on him. I don’t like the system or his instincts

But your right size and arm strength and favorable stats will get him what imo is over drafted

For my money I’d rather burn a 4 or lower on mike White Lauletta or woodside if I’m not going qb in round 1. If undrafted I could bring litton or shimonek in for camp. I think shimonek has nice natural arm talent

I could see Gase saying get me my power back and tight end and my offense will be complete. Guice and Andrews going 1-2 for Miami could do that. Not sure they'd be able to find a starting linebacker or defensive tackle from the third round on. That would be the dilemma. But the offense would look pretty good in that scenario.

Malik Jefferson or Uchenna Nwosu maybe? I'd be okay with Guice and one of the TEs.

Back
Top Bottom