Darko Milicic traded to MAgic | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Darko Milicic traded to MAgic

HysterikiLL said:
Or Wade, or Anthony.

They're just -- so -- stupid.

In their defence, the didn't really need him to win games.
nah bosh would of fit in perferct for them i dunno about melo

dominizzo said:
Espn news what a deal Darko IMO is the biggest bust in NBA history

I know they won the title anyway. but, it is kind of sad knowing they could of had Carmello Anthony instead of Darko.

Just a little tidit from espn:
If Orlando's first-round pick next year is No. 5 or better, the Magic will keep it. If it's not, the Pistons will acquire the Magic's 2008 first-round slot.

....little incentive for the Magic to really tank it next season. Even more reason to dump Francis.....mabey for Penny?

Milicic is still very young like under 24 so he still has potential to not be a bust. Its hard to get minutes when playing behind ben wallace in detroit though

What is funny is that the Pistons get torched by Shaq and they bring in another big stiff to hack him....

Big Mistake....I hope they keep refusing to double team Shaq....

I also never understood this fascination with Lindsey Hunter.....he played a good 5 minute stretch against Wade in a game that the Pistons lost....he is slow....

The Pistons weakened themselves here.

I truely believe darko can actually still shine in this league but hes going to need to get more then 2 minutes a night. With the magic lacking a solid center he could start right away...Hopefully he can live up to being picked above guys like

Chris Bosh
Carmelo Anthony
Dwayne Wade

I'm actually excited about this trade. It kind of shows that we are trying to move toward the future. All we need to do now is trade Steve Francis and let Jameer Nelson start doing his thing. If Darko can come into his own, then we could be dominate with him and Dwight Howard down low.

Yeah it is all opinion, don't know how someone could be wrong.

Section126 said:
What is funny is that the Pistons get torched by Shaq and they bring in another big stiff to hack him....

Big Mistake....I hope they keep refusing to double team Shaq....

I also never understood this fascination with Lindsey Hunter.....he played a good 5 minute stretch against Wade in a game that the Pistons lost....he is slow....

The Pistons weakened themselves here.

Short-term, maybe. If they can get another backup point, it's a wash. Long term, this gives them the flexibility to resign both Ben Wallace and Chauncey Billups. So obviously, that's a pretty good move.

They might flip Cato to a team that's got a decent point guard whose salary is expiring (I'd be surprised if he plays even a minute for Detroit). But I'm also a bit perplexed as to why they moved Arroyo in the deal; seems like the focus was Milicic. If they could get Mike James back, they'd be in great shape, but that might be tough. Wish they had grabbed Chucky Atkins after he got waived.

Hunter is an excellent defensive guard who brings the press as well as anyone in the NBA. On offense though, I'm not a fan. I don't like the idea of using him as a real backup point. Let him hound guys like Dwyane Wade on defense for a few minutes, make life tough, and maybe take the rythym out of the other team's offense. But don't expect him to run the offense with Billups on the bench.

As for the draft pick, it's top 5 protected in 2007, and not at all for 2008. I think the pick will be valuable; I don't see Orlando pulling it all together anytime soon. Plus, the 2007 draft should be a lot better than this year's. I think the Pistons probably figured they wouldn't get anyone who could crack the rotation in this year's draft.

Dumars has a history of cutting bait quickly with draft picks that don't pan out, and so far, he's done pretty well at cutting his losses and getting what he can. Rodney White and Mateen Cleaves were both moved for first round picks, for example. I think Milicic will have his moments, and probably have a serviceable NBA career at some point, but if he showed any signs at all of fulfilling the expectations they had, they would have kept him, at least until after the season when they could trade him for more than they got.

As for the Melo/Milicic debate, the Pistons don't win the 2004 title with Melo at the 3. In the Finals, they needed Tayshaun Prince's defense much more than Carmelo Anthony's offense. And since Prince wouldn't have developed at the same rate with Anthony around, I don't buy that age old argument.

Of course, Chris Bosh and Dwayne Wade are different stories. Either of those guys would have blended with the team perfectly. Wade would have given Detroit an unstoppable three-guard rotation, given his ability to play the 2 or 3. Bosh would have filled the role Antonio McDyess does now, only a lot better and for a lot longer.

And finally, as for the Kobe Bryant nonsense, it belongs in another thread.

phunwin said:
If they could get Mike James back, they'd be in great shape, but that might be tough. Wish they had grabbed Chucky Atkins after he got waived.

OH NO!!! If you guys got Mike James I would be even more worried than I am now.

I think Chris Duhon is a nice fit for the Pistons.

Let us get Mike James...:wink:

Section126 said:
OH NO!!! If you guys got Mike James I would be even more worried than I am now.

I think Chris Duhon is a nice fit for the Pistons.

Let us get Mike James...:wink:

You probably have a better shot at him. I don't believe we have a #1 pick this year. If Miami does, sending that pick to the Raps for James would be a good move. They basically HAVE to move him, since there's no way in hell he'll resign there. So they might do what the Hawks did with Rasheed Wallace; take a late #1 pick for him, even though it's less than he should probably command.

I'd love Chris Duhon. He can't shoot, but he's got a great A/TO ratio (easily the most important stat for a point) and has the defensive chops to keep up with the rest of the Pistons. Hopefully the Bulls will part with him and just move Ben Gordon into the starting lineup where he belongs.

LA has Miami's pick. And there is no way James garners first round compensation. Hes old by nba standards and is a ballhog. The only use he would be to a contending team is if they needed a scorer off the bench. I dont think he would take many minutes from the 3 guard rotation in Miami, although he would be a nice insurance if the tendanitis keeps JWill out of any more games.

Ferretsquig said:
LA has Miami's pick. And there is no way James garners first round compensation. Hes old by nba standards and is a ballhog. The only use he would be to a contending team is if they needed a scorer off the bench. I dont think he would take many minutes from the 3 guard rotation in Miami, although he would be a nice insurance if the tendanitis keeps JWill out of any more games.

He's 30 and has a higher assist ratio (tm John Hollinger) than Tony Parker. So he's not *THAT* much of a ballhog, obviously.

James isn't an ideal ball distributor, of course, but he's plenty good enough to give Billups and (occasionally) Hamilton a rest for a total of 15-20 minutes a night (or do the same for any other contending team). He's a quality scorer, as you mentioned, and he plays strong defense. A late first round pick is perfectly reasonable compensation. And I'd bet that's ultimately what Toronto gets for him.

the magic are building for the future. dwight will be the premiere big man in 3-4 years and jameer nelson will be a solid point guard. grant hills salary is off the books in 07 i think. we have a bright future.

MelbournePhin said:
the magic are building for the future. dwight will be the premiere big man in 3-4 years and jameer nelson will be a solid point guard. grant hills salary is off the books in 07 i think. we have a bright future.

Well, it's a gamble. They're obviously gambling that they'll be good enough next year to avoid handing over a decent pick to Detroit (or alternately, bad enough that they'll be able to keep it).

That said, if you've got a talented big man and a quality point guard, the rest can usually be filled in.

Back
Top Bottom