Dave's comments about the secondary (ESPN)...some of you might not have seen them | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dave's comments about the secondary (ESPN)...some of you might not have seen them

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=1836180

The nuggets I found in this were that the Dolphins and the Patriots are the teams most likely to be affected by the defensive coverage rule changes.

The Dolphins, as we know, like to do everything but rape the WR at the line of scrimmage in their bump and run coverage.

The Patriots defense loves having the corners sit on short routes by getting physical about 8 yards down the field (which is/was already borderline illegal).

The other nugget I found were comments from Dave that really make me optimistic about our defense.

"We're real excited with what we see from Reggie Howard and Will Poole," Wannstedt said. "Adding them gives us the best secondary we've ever had here. There are so many things we can do in coverage having those two guys added. If we want to, we can stick those two guys on the edge and let Patrick Surtain and Sam Madison work on the best receivers in the slot."

Also I do like this statement about the Patriots and TE Ben Watson...

Meanwhile, all is well in New England. Belichick has assembled such a deep, solid group that he has had his least active offseason in free agency and used draft choices to build for the future. They had the luxury of drafting promising tight end Ben Watson, who may be third string behind Christian Fauria and Daniel Graham.

Funny part is you could replace the word "luxury" with the word "stupidity" and the paragraph still makes sense. Atta boy Belichick. Use 2 first round picks on TEs within a few years...and have your most productive TE end up being a low-level free agent signing (Fauria). Ben Watson is a guy that coaches from Georgia couldn't wait to get rid of because of his attitude. I can't wait to see Ben Watson out there punishing defenses all over the place as their THIRD TIGHT END.

Yea I read this yesterday, I'm thought immediately went back to how the NE secondary mugged the colts in the playoffs and didn't get called, especially the 4th down to the TE, wen the defender was clearly all over the receiver before the ball got there...we're tough, but even we're not that obvious. And yes this may keep our D on the field a lot longer, we've seen it in the pass, when we though we stopped the other team just to see a penalty flag on the field when the play is over.

MDFINFAN said:
when we though we stopped the other team just to see a penalty flag on the field when the play is over.

oh man, those memories still haunt me, it ticked me off everytime such a thing would happen

I wonder which aspect they are going to enforce more though, the mugging receivers beyond 5 yards, or chucking them at the line of scrimmage?

I do know that for the Patriots the former would be called as P.I. while for the Dolphins its a 5 yard holding call. That is what we are prone to, lots and lots of little 5 yard holding penalties.

ckparrothead said:
I wonder which aspect they are going to enforce more though, the mugging receivers beyond 5 yards, or chucking them at the line of scrimmage?

I do know that for the Patriots the former would be called as P.I. while for the Dolphins its a 5 yard holding call. That is what we are prone to, lots and lots of little 5 yard holding penalties.

But those little 5 yard holding penalties are automatic first downs :smackhead

ckparrothead said:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=1836180

The nuggets I found in this were that the Dolphins and the Patriots are the teams most likely to be affected by the defensive coverage rule changes.

The Dolphins, as we know, like to do everything but rape the WR at the line of scrimmage in their bump and run coverage.

The Patriots defense loves having the corners sit on short routes by getting physical about 8 yards down the field (which is/was already borderline illegal).

The other nugget I found were comments from Dave that really make me optimistic about our defense.

Also I do like this statement about the Patriots and TE Ben Watson...

Funny part is you could replace the word "luxury" with the word "stupidity" and the paragraph still makes sense. Atta boy Belichick. Use 2 first round picks on TEs within a few years...and have your most productive TE end up being a low-level free agent signing (Fauria). Ben Watson is a guy that coaches from Georgia couldn't wait to get rid of because of his attitude. I can't wait to see Ben Watson out there punishing defenses all over the place as their THIRD TIGHT END.

I was shocked when I watched the Pats take Ben Watson over Ben Troupe. Actually I was laughing my *** off.

ckparrothead said:

The chucking within 5 yards is legal as long as they don't hold, the mugging has just got to be called, that was crazy last year. NE should see a big increase in penalties if they continue that stuff..but we will get our share too. For all that people think our O may be able to do this year, our D maybe our downfall.

I like the defensive rules the way they are. As was said, the Patriots defense was already illegal. They just need to focus more on enforcing the current rules properly.

Noone wants to see the official yapping after every play. The games are long enough as it is. If they think fans don't like the low scores then they will be shocked to see that we like 4 hour games even less.

Actually I think this is going to cause more zone defense out of all the NFL. As a result I think our defense versus the pass will improve but our defense versus the run will suffer.

I've read in Sporting News that Will Poole has really been impressing coaches in the recent mini-camps--showing a lot of maturity and and has some "veteran" instincts. Hopefully this can pan out in TC later this month and on the field!

MDFINFAN said:
The chucking within 5 yards is legal as long as they don't hold, the mugging has just got to be called, that was crazy last year. NE should see a big increase in penalties if they continue that stuff..but we will get our share too. For all that people think our O may be able to do this year, our D maybe our downfall.
.......i dont see how u can see our D as a downfall. Other then argument "one year older" theres no reason y they wont b great again. I dont buy the one year older thing, our D's got pretty good depth all across the field, and all the starters other then brock who wouldnt start this year on our team anyway.I do believe the O wont b the downfall of yesterday.

MDFINFAN said:

Last year, the Fins played alot more zone, rather than man coverage. it effected our Yds per game (10th) but helped the pts per game (2ndT). In addition, our defensive penalies decreased quite alot. I don't think the emphasis on the rule will hurt at all, the defense practiced all last year!

To me Poole was the best pick in the Fins draft.Together with Howard ,Surtain and Madison they will be part of the most formidable DBs team in the NFL.They will need it as new rules changes favor the offenses and 4 and 5 wide sets.

Laugh all you want at the Ben Watson pick but he fits the Pats profile .The Pats are the only team that pays attention to the Wonderlic scores and Watson had the best scores overall among all players tested.

CrunchTime said:
To me Poole was the best pick in the Fins draft.Together with Howard ,Surtain and Madison they will be part of the most formidable DBs team in the NFL.They will need it as new rules changes favor the offenses and 4 and 5 wide sets.

Laugh all you want at the Ben Watson pick but he fits the Pats profile .The Pats are the only team that pays attention to the Wonderlic scores and Watson had the best scores overall among all players tested.
|

sorry, but im a lil misinformed. Qhat exactly do the Wonderlic tests evaluate, and what kind of test is it, wut do u have to awnser or w/e.

I love having Poole and Howard...

I loathe not having Marion :(

Back
Top Bottom