David Bowens' Status Uncertain | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

David Bowens' Status Uncertain

It can go either way and either way i would be ok with it. Our DE's are looking stacked. Im not to worried.

Seeking an extension?

When my team drafts a defensive end in the 2nd round and signs 2 potential starters at defensive end I'd be more concerned about making the damn team then looking for an extension.

FuturePhin said:
It can go either way and either way i would be ok with it. Our DE's are looking stacked. Im not to worried.

I for one would like to keep this guy, the 2 DE's we signed are old, JT's getting up there, and Roth is unproven. If his agent is working on a contract extension with him, I'm happy about that. I think everyone just assumed because of the signings and Roth that D. Bowens was gone, but he had 5 1/2 sacks in his first year of starting..he's young and the sky is the limit for him.

unifiedtheory said:
Seeking an extension?

When my team drafts a defensive end in the 2nd round and signs 2 potential starters at defensive end I'd be more concerned about making the damn team then looking for an extension.

I don;t know man, but i'm beggining to think that Saban's system will involve alot more DE's then we think...

What are the chances D-Bow can play DT?? I wouldn't mind seeing what he can do at DT. Is he big enough??

MDFINFAN said:
I for one would like to keep this guy, the 2 DE's we signed are old, JT's getting up there, and Roth is unproven. If his agent is working on a contract extension with him, I'm happy about that. I think everyone just assumed because of the signings and Roth that D. Bowens was gone, but he had 5 1/2 sacks in his first year of starting..he's young and the sky is the limit for him.

He's 27 and really hasnt been on the field much. What was it last year, a lightbulb incident if I remeber right. It always seems to be something with the guy. We really havent got a chance to see what he's really like. Thats why Im going either way. I hope your right if we are looking to rework the deal. I hope he becomes a terror.

enigmatics said:
What kind of money is this guy making? And what was the "large bonus" his agent spoke of?
David Bowens Salary

According To FinHeaven:
Salary: $1,900,000
Amortized Bonuses: $632,500
Other Bonuses: $300,000
Cap Hit: $2,832,500

According To NFLPA:

With that being said, I think we should heavily consider trading him and seeing if we can pick up a draft pick for him rather than deciding on keeping or releasing him.

FuturePhin said:
He's 27 and really hasnt been on the field much. What was it last year, a lightbulb incident if I remeber right. It always seems to be something with the guy. We really havent got a chance to see what he's really like. Thats why Im going either way. I hope your right if we are looking to rework the deal. I hope he becomes a terror.

But when he is on the field he's been effective and that's what I'm looking for. He a motor on the field. I think he compliments jt pretty well, he was starting before Ogunleye and as you stated messed up his knee in that freak incident. Last year for the first time he had a chance to get a full year in as a starter, now I think he knows how to pace himself, but he had a whole lot of QB pressures last year. I thought he'd be a monster this year. Oh well, new system, who knows.
:confused2

painnotpleasure said:
David Bowens Salary

According To FinHeaven:

According To NFLPA:

With that being said, I think we should heavily consider trading him and seeing if we can pick up a draft pick for him rather than deciding on keeping or releasing him.
I can't imagine anyone trading for a backup with a big salary unless...... dammit spielman is our GM :smackhead

MDFINFAN said:
But when he is on the field he's been effective and that's what I'm looking for. He a motor on the field. I think he compliments jt pretty well, he was starting before Ogunleye and as you stated messed up his knee in that freak incident. Last year for the first time he had a chance to get a full year in as a starter, now I think he knows how to pace himself, but he had a whole lot of QB pressures last year. I thought he'd be a monster this year. Oh well, new system, who knows.
:confused2

I'm with you on this one! I don't want to get rid of him because he played pretty damn good last year. As much as I like the Roth pick, we don't know how good he's going to be as well as how soon he'll be good. I definitely think Bowens is better than Holliday. Hopefully what the agent is saying is true which would show that Saban is high enough on Bowens that is willing to give him an extension.

Predaphin said:
What are the chances D-Bow can play DT?? I wouldn't mind seeing what he can do at DT. Is he big enough??

The chances are slim and none. Bowens weighs between 255 and 260 pounds. A move to OLB (if we went 3-4, due to our sudden shortage of DTs) would be much more likely than a move to DT. Given his tall size, he'd need to put on about 60 pounds to have the requisite wide body to play DT. That's not happening unless he signs an endorsement deal with Burger King.

Does anyone know the nature of that $900K+ of bonuses? i.e. is there a roster bonus here? $2.8 million is *WAY* too much of a cap hit for an injury-prone guy who's going to be a backup DE and special teamer.

And I hesitate to say this, but if we're set on bringing Ricky Williams back, I'd just as soon cut Bowens and work out a deal with Williams where we meet in the middle between the minimum (which his contract may say he must play for) and $3.7 million (which his contract also may say he must play for).

painnotpleasure said:
David Bowens Salary

According To FinHeaven:

According To NFLPA:

I don't know if I would trade him (the kid's young and has potential)but I would reduce that salary big time with probably a more incentive laden contract.

Predaphin said:
I don;t know man, but i'm beggining to think that Saban's system will involve alot more DE's then we think...

Absolutely none. Im suprised at this move. D-Bowens is even pretty small to play DE. You need to be 300+ to play DT, D-Bo is about 60 lbs undersized for the ideal DT position.

Im sure the scheme will involve a lot more DEs. I have a problem when we signed Carter, Holliday and drafted Roth and already have JT on the roster.

I wouldnt mind signing Bowens to an extension if it meant cutting down his salary. He was a good DE last year and Holliday was only signed for a year. Bowens still has life left in him, the only negative about him is his size.

It seems like Bowens is the odd man out of all the DE's we have. We know that JT and Carter is going to be our starter. While Holliday and Roth will be the backup guys to them. Bowens get a great job last year at starting for us and i hope he will find a place soon.

Back
Top Bottom