David James To Train With Miami Dolphins; England’s Goalkeeper Goes Head-To-Head With | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

David James To Train With Miami Dolphins; England’s Goalkeeper Goes Head-To-Head With

dolphan39

Maria & LauRen Aha!
Reaction score
David James To Train With Miami Dolphins; England’s Goalkeeper Goes Head-To-Head With NFL Athletes
David James has accepted an invitation from the Miami Dolphins to attend their training camp on Tuesday, June 24th. One of Britain’s fittest and most powerful athletes, he will try out against some of the best that the NFL has to offer to help him to maintain a competitive edge as England’s number one goalkeeper.
strange :dunno:

I don't see how training with NFL players will help....

I love the idea. I think it's great! He may want to look into a new sport since his club in England just got relegated, but he could get a transfer if he wanted one. Honestly, I have no idea what the hell the point of this is except to get some publicity overseas.

Originally posted by minus
I don't see how training with NFL players will help....

It's just like he said.....he wants to learn how to get into elite physical and mental condition....and how to stay that way. And he wants to see how he stacks up to the best athletes in the world. It's his offseason. So it can't hurt.

I can't wait to see this guy in action.

I think its kinda cool. The Dolphins are helping open the door for European athletes to come in and make their mark on the NFL. I mean look at basketball and the NBA. There's hardly a team now without some European stars on it.

The first crossovers from Europe will likely have to be guys who cross sports. Mainly, soccer guys. This is just because the sport, american football, hasn't taken root enough with the youth (although this is changing, particularly in Scotland). So the first Euro NFL star will likely be an incredible athlete in Soccer. In this case this guy is an incredible soccer athlete. 6'5" with 8% body fat and what do you wanna bet he runs like a 4.5 or 4.6 or somethin like that. He can throw he can run and he can catch. And while we will probably not see this guy play in Dolphins colors or in any colors for that matter, whats important is that we're setting the precedent, opening the door for Euro players to come to the Dolphins, and this may eventually help the Dolphins develop a slight competitive advantage over other teams in talent pool for finding EFAs and stuff.

At the very least it'll be fun to toss the guy up against the best in the biz and see what he does.

If he did play CK What do you SEE LB TE, or maybe DE? I was thinking a very big MLB!

publicity

but a laughable joke, and it will only be for his personal fitness.

david James is now england soccer team #1 Goalkeeper by default as they search for a genuine #1 again through young GK coming through. was once known as 'calamity' james when he had high profile move to Liverpool and made error after error at big moments in big games. Dropped down a level in team and has found a greater consistency in his early thirties(33). an incredible physical specimen, totally sculptered Height: 193 cm Weight: 94 kg , and hugely athletic in agility sense, also great shot stopper, but is suspect mentally as switches off and tends to get complacent on easier stuff. Have no idea of stamina and speed as GK rarely have to show these.

Despite his physical prowess, he is 33, he is England #1 and would want to stay that, its all he has strived for, he has no american Football skills at all and at 33 is not going to have any time to get any...its publicity, a joke, a favour or just him wanting to experience training at NFL level, but QB? hilarious WR, jump ball in endzone at most and kicker? you simply have not seen him taking goal kicks then, like my golf!

if anyone was to break through from Uk it would be one of our supertalented Rugby players who are dominating at world level, someone like Johnny wilkinson, who kicks for miles and is deadly accurate, and who has good hands/pace/agility/smarts....I saw this David James thing earlier and nearly laughed myself silly. He will be in pre season training in Uk by mid July, its a holiday with a visit to camp, he has less than zero chance of ANYTHING coming out of this.

Well they said in the article that he's going to be tried at positions where he would have the best chance at succeeding and they said specifically QB, WR, and Kicker. They didn't mention defense although I could see a goal keeper at 6'5" in as good shape as he is if he runs well becoming a pretty good ball-hawking safety.

His agent says he's capable of throwing accurately in excess of 45 meters (not sure how many yards that translates to), he can kick the ball the length of the soccer field I guess, and obviously if he's a goal keeper, the guy can make all kinds of diving catches.

My instinct says that because of the technique of goal keeper, moving around the box like that sometimes attacking toward the guy kicking the ball sometimes falling back and always predicting where the ball is coming out and going after it...well I could see a great goal keeper like that being a Sammy Knight clone, a weakside linebacker or a safety. He'd just have to learn how to tackle...but at 6'5" I can't see him having TOO much trouble with that heh.

He went to school

in next town to me of WGC, and obviously you follow him closely being in local papers all of the time. He joined a professional local team Watford and made a name for himself and had a huge 'disastrous' move to top team of time Liverpool. He then went to west Ham and did improve, but still has the odd 'brainstorm' moment. His agility is not in question, and his reactions are superb at times, but he switches off far too regulary and his throws are NOT QB style, but side swing, and his agent on accuracy is pulling a fast one. His kicks are long, but NOT a full pitch length, 3/4 at most, but are like my golf shots, all over place at times. And finally for a big guy, he is simply not a warrior type, his style is laid back, he can be brave at feet, but not fearless, and for his size he misjudges/flaps at and loses alot deep high crosses. He is a superb physical specimen, with alot of FAULTS and is only england #1 as the best has got to 40 yrs of age and rest of good GKs are just a bit green at present..

94 kg = 207.2 lbs.

So he's 6'5", 207 lbs.

this seems like just a publicity stunt. he's not even that good of a goalie, he's just keeping nat'l team gk spot warm until paul robinson is ready, and his club team got relegated, partly due to his shoddy play. i don't much coming outta this one. they should let emile heskey try out, i could see him playin some outside linebacker:lol:

Loved the post, mjh. I could almost hear the accent! Oh yeah, and it was informational, too.

Back
Top Bottom