Day 2 Joint Practice Thread | Page 50 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Day 2 Joint Practice Thread

The question is can Tua make plays that the scheme can’t provide, usually that’s how championships are won.
Tua absolutely can make plays that the schema doesn't provide. See the TDs to Cracraft, Gesicki, and Waddle against the Ravens. I can't wait until we see Tua behind an OL that can sustain protection. We will see Tua manipulating the pocket and going through progressions much more often.

Thank you for the kind words... but we are all wrong on occasion... and some of my hot takes have blown up in my face, so no worries about telling me that I'm wrong!

I think we have at least 6, maybe 7 WRs who can fill a role. Obviously Hill and Waddle will take as many snaps as we can feed them, so the other WRs will rotate in and out depending on the formation.

My fear is that we've gone too small. Sure, H/W are great players, but neither one is a bully, and both lack size. Yes, undersized receivers are deadly at times, but in a constricted field, sometimes size and a killer attitude can be the way to succeed. Our best bet last year was Gesicki and his TD production showed that... I wish we had a 6'3" contested catch type receiver. If we had that, we could run him into those 5'9" third CBs and give him the chance to stomp the bastard.

EZ or Wilson are the only ones who might get that done... maybe.

I think we need one of these guys.
Fair enough, hopefully EZ can start providing some of this for us, particularly in the red zone.

Your blame is misplaced. Grier has been in the Front office 23 years.About 16 of them he’s been head scout, asst GM, and GM. There is the culprit. BTW, judging from the recent FA signings, I’d say Dangio is running things. 5 CBs including Ramsay, 3 crappy OLinemen, and Wynn.
I agree that Grier is OBVIOUSLY a buffoon in this category - but once McD got here it’s on McD….if the head coach is not satisfied with the players it’s HIS problem to upgrade if he can…and in this case he could have many times over…

What in the absolute **** happened to this thread? I feel like I’m watching a Tarantino flick; I’m not exactly sure what’s going on or what’s coming next, but it’s riveting and the dialogue is outstanding.

Also, John Denver slander will not be tolerated.

I remember When I moved to North Carolina, I became a Panthers fan when the team was created. I remember when Matt Moore came and played QB played for Carolina. He was a risk taker and I felt he was pretty good. Sometimes that helps a weaker team and sometimes it doesn't.

I recall a lot of people posting here were wishing we still had Moore. Does that mean they aren't fans? - LOL

I would tell you to re-think your post, but that would be presumptive of me. - LOL

YES, I am baiting you. - LOL
I knew better just baiting you, and Moore has his moments but his accuracy was suspect.

No one mentioned our hard fought close loss? Well no one typically does mention those things. Believe in Tua, I am optimistic as well, but heading into year 4 he still hasn’t played in a playoff game or managed to play in more than 13 or so games a year. He has all the weapons and scheme he could ask for this year. Pressure is on baby, get it done.

We’ll also have our chance to adjust to those Chargers in just a couple weeks here, let’s hope we’ve learned.
I was more talking about how no one mentions the adjustments McDaniel and the offense made for that bills game. It's why I'm not as worried about the Chargers game because the Bills tried to do the same thing but Miami adjusted.

They obviously should have adjusted in game against the Chargers and I wish I could block that game from my memory but nothing they can do now besides use it as a learning experience. It was extremely important that the offense came out against Buffalo and put up points in a different manner. It showed me our offense can play at a high level even if teams take away the middle of the field.

I think he’s a competent qb that’s about as far as I’m going with it right now. I absolutely think that mcds offense makes it easier on the qb and props it up to an extent but that’s probably largely cause the qb doesn’t have the freedom to date at least to let some things come to light more.

Let me ask you this who do you think has a tougher ask at qb scheme wise tua or Justin herbert? Not college pro current ask.

Also if you don’t think the 9ers swung for the fences chasing a Josh allen at qb when it traded up for that qb top 3 with us (and took us to the cleaners in the process but I digress) as a result of deciding garrop isn’t the guy for reasons other than medical I just can’t help ya. Go with god 🙏

I know what that tape said when his pocket read warts came full front and center.
Fair point on SF drafting trey Lance but that was a few years ago and the situation is very different now. It's very evident SF is currently in their super bowl window and Jimmy g would have given them the best shot out of the QBs they had. Do you think they get rid of Jimmy if he stays healthy the past few years with the team they have?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge Jimmy guy and I hope Tua ends up a much better QB than Jimmy ever was but I do believe the reason they let Jimmy go this off-season is primarily due to him never staying healthy.

As for the Herbert question. I don't think Herbert plays as well in this system as Tua does and I would say the same thing about Tua in Herbert's system. McDaniels system is all about timing, reading the defense and accuracy from your QB. The offense fits Tuas strengths to a T and I don't believe our system would be as good of a fit for a guy like Herbert who's not a timing QB. Schemes should be designed to your QBs strengths and theoretically that should make life easier for your QB which I don't believe is a bad thing. Also as another poster mentioned Herbert's offense had way more easy passes than tuas offense so I'm not sure why you think Herbert plays in a less friendly scheme?

Tua absolutely can make plays that the schema doesn't provide. See the TDs to Cracraft, Gesicki, and Waddle against the Ravens. I can't wait until we see Tua behind an OL that can sustain protection. We will see Tua manipulating the pocket and going through progressions much more often.
Yes those types of plays that you mention..

He was moving up in the pocket this camp kore than the last few years, last year for me that was frustrating that he wouldn’t move up or take off running.

Imo that’s what’s left for him to do which he hasn’t don’t..

Drew Brees is the guy we’re hoping Tua can become. Brees was an elite processor. Tua has to become close to Brees’s level as a processor in order to sustain a high level success in this league because Tua’s physical talent isn’t enough to make him an upper echelon QB in the NFL. That’s what has me a little concerned. Right now Tua isn’t near Brees as a processor. If he doesn’t make a leap in that department Miami’s ceiling is somewhat capped.
Of course Tua isn't at the same level of peak Drew Brees but they share many of the same elite traits as well as very similar concerns (health, consistency, ext..) You guys realize Drew Brees didn't just come out and light the world on fire right? He shared many of the same concerns that people have with Tua. Drew Brees found Sean Payton who built an offense tailored to his skill set and his career took off as a result. Tua's career arc to this point is extremely similar to Brees but he got McDaniel in his 3rd season while Brees didn't have Payton until his 6th season. I mean just look at Brees vs Tua below.

Rookie Season:
Drew Brees - Only played 1 game
Tua Tagovailoa - Played 10 games, starting 9 with a 6-3 record, 181.4 YPG, 64.1% Cmp, 11 TD's, 5 Int's, 87.1 Rating

Second Season:
Drew Brees - Started all 16 games with an 8-8 record, 205.3 YPG, 60.8% Cmp, 17 TD's, 16 Int's, 76.9 Rating
Tua Tagovailoa - Played 13 games, starting 12 with a 7-5 record, 204.1 YPG, 67.8% Cmp, 16 TD's, 10 Int's, 90.1 Rating

Third Season:
Drew Brees - Started 11 games with an 2-9 record, 191.6 YPG, 57.6% Cmp, 11 TD's, 15 Int's, 67.5 Rating
Tua Tagovailoa - Started 13 games with an 8-5 record, 272.9 YPG, 64.8% Cmp, 25 TD's, 8 Int's, 105.5 Rating

Safe to say through the first 3 seasons of their career, Tua looks like the far superior player. Obviously it doesn't mean he will have a better career than Brees but people forget Brees didn't really blow up until his 6th season when he went to NOL. Of course Tua isn't perfect, literally no QB in the NFL is but he showed last year that he can run an elite offense as long as he stays healthy. People used to call Tom Brady a system QB because Bill's system was tailored perfectly for him and he ran it at such a high level. How many superbowls did they win again?

I think it's laughable that people try to discredit Tua because McDaniel built a scheme that tailors to his strengths. That's literally what a good coach should do.

Dan Marino would not have put up with this ****! And the OL has been and always will be on Santa’s bitch list. McD still has that nerd factor including the goofy gaudy wrist watch more suited to a town hall obelisk. Beyond that it’s a new season. Hawaii may be burning but Davie was a better camp location. IMO of course. I agree we have too many fleas and gnats impersonating WRs. Get me some DVP and vodka. Those were the good ole days!

:oops:

What in the absolute **** happened to this thread? I feel like I’m watching a Tarantino flick; I’m not exactly sure what’s going on or what’s coming next, but it’s riveting and the dialogue is outstanding.

Also, John Denver slander will not be tolerated.
That was a compliment, love John Denver.

Too many late night posts from me for sure. Need to get to some real football already!

I was more talking about how no one mentions the adjustments McDaniel and the offense made for that bills game. It's why I'm not as worried about the Chargers game because the Bills tried to do the same thing but Miami adjusted.

They obviously should have adjusted in game against the Chargers and I wish I could block that game from my memory but nothing they can do now besides use it as a learning experience. It was extremely important that the offense came out against Buffalo and put up points in a different manner. It showed me our offense can play at a high level even if teams take away the middle of the field.
It will definitely be interesting to see how we attack that Charger’s D this time around. Catching them game 1 is a big advantage for us I think, not just knocking out our longest domestic road trip when easiest to plan for that but also the new wrinkles in our offense McD hopefully is coming up with before they’ve had the chance to see them. They are also breaking in a new O coordinator and system so I do think the timing here favors us.

Back
Top Bottom