DE Yannick Ngakoue to the Dolphins? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

DE Yannick Ngakoue to the Dolphins?

This smells like a Jets/Raiders type of move, wrongfully assuming they're closer than they are to contending. I hope the Jets waste some of the compensation they received for Adams here. I like the player, but he doesn't move the needle unless your defense is truly a pass rusher away.

Wouldn't be surprised if Philly is involved. They seem to be involved in everything, whether it happens or not.

If we had 2 2nd rounders and the cost was merely one of them, I'd do it. But in our defense what position does he play? Wonder how many snaps he's taken standing up.

It's really hard to build an elite defense and maintain it. The Vikings are the exception to that. The last time they had a scoring defense outside the top 10 was 2014. I don't think this move puts them over the top in the NFC, but it probably guarantees them as a division contender/wild card team. I still think they have an early exit from the playoffs regardless of the move.

Yannick for a 2nd and conditional 5th. We should have been all over that. I think this is a miss on our part. Unless we snag rousseau.

Yannick for a 2nd and conditional 5th. We should have been all over that. I think this is a miss on our part. Unless we snag rousseau.
I agree. I didn’t want them to trade one of their first round picks for him but a 2nd and 5th round pick would have been a steal, IMO. He is a sure thing and you never know what you will get with a 2nd or 5th round pick. In fact the Dolphins have already cut one of their 5th round picks from the last draft.

The Vikings made a great trade and I certainly give them credit.

You need to understand that the Vikes can not sign him to an extension(for a ton of money btw)until after next season. That means they will be in the same boat as Jax was, either pay him a fortune(more than D Hunter is making)tag him or let him walk.And they don't even have the cap room to take his Franchise tag number right now, he had to agree to take less to fit under the Cap in Minn.

This might be a one year rental.

Which would be worth it if they get to a SB.

Miami would have a much easier time paying him long term, and he is type of should you should pay, but there was talk about his scheme fit in Flores defense.

I don't think Miami showed much interest so they have their reasons whatever they are.

He isn’t a scheme fit at all. He is a one dimensional 4-3 DE. Don’t get me wrong; he is good at what he does. I just don’t see us handing him a massive contract when we have no idea how he’d produce as an OLB.
He has 37 and a half sacks and 14 forced fumbles over the last 4 years. How this makes him not a scheme fit for the Dolphins is beyond me. I guess the Dolphins scheme is not set up to have an outside pass rusher who actually sacks the QB and strips the ball to force fumbles. The Dolphins were last in the League in defense last year with the scheme they played. So perhaps adding pro bowl players to the defense would make more sense than sticking with a scheme which didn’t work last year.

If Minny can't resign him, I would expect them to gain a 3rd round comp pick no?
Minny really nailed this one.

He has 37 and a half sacks and 14 forced fumbles over the last 4 years. How this makes him not a scheme fit for the Dolphins is beyond me. I guess the Dolphins scheme is not set up to have an outside pass rusher who actually sacks the QB and strips the ball to force fumbles. The Dolphins were last in the League in defense last year with the scheme they played. So perhaps adding pro bowl players to the defense would make more sense than sticking with a scheme which didn’t work last year.

He is an undersized 4-3 DE that specializes in rushing the passer. He would have to learn a new position (OLB) and how to not be a liability vs the run to fit into our defensive scheme. It took Jacksonville months to trade him for this reason; there are only a handful of teams where he is a fit. Teams don’t want to use picks and hand out massive contracts to players when it is unknown how they would preform in a new role.

Less than two months after trading for him, the Vikings are now shipping Ngakoue off to Baltimore

Why cant we make trades like this? He would have put this defense over the top.

Why cant we make trades like this? He would have put this defense over the top.
I take it you mean why can't we make trades like Baltimore made yesterday and not why can't we make trade like Minnesota made two months ago? Because it doesn't look like the move put the Vikings over the top. Also Ngakoue will still be a free agent in a few months, so it he opts to sign elsewhere this offseason this might not look like a very good deal for the Ravens either. A 3rd pick for 10 regular season games and a few playoff games would look pretty bad, especially considering Ravens had a decent defense without making the trade.

They are going to resign him long term. He is a 10 sack a year guy. He would have been great to sign for a 3rd this year because it would have made this defense much scarier.

I think we missed out again. A 3rd and 5th. I would have made that same offer.

I think we missed out again. A 3rd and 5th. I would have made that same offer.
I wouldn't - it's a 10 game rental for the 3rd/5th. Then you pay him a max contract after the season.

This does make sense for a team like Baltimore, though, as they are a "one piece away" type of team so regardless of resigning him or not, its worth the investment.

We weren't and aren't one player away this season... so if the organization REALLY wants him next year, they can give him that contract he can't refuse without giving up any additional draft picks.

Good move by Baltimore, but would not have made sense for Miami.

Back
Top Bottom