Debate with giants fan | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Debate with giants fan

I loved Manningham in college, and i love him in the pros ... i was so upset when Miami passed on him in the draft, i threw a shoe at the TV ... as much as i like Hartline for his toughness and hands... i think Manningham is better because, of his big play abilities .. hartline made some plays for Miami, that is obvious ... but if you had Manningham in a Dolphins uniform, they wouldn't be looking to fill the WR spot like they seem to be ...

I highly doubt that. Especially if you were to have Manningham and no Hartline (if they drafted Mann. the season before they might not have drafted Hartline).

Ginn
Camarillo
Bess
Manningham
Turner

Yea people still would not be satisfied. I am content with Bess being our slot receiver and Hartline having potential to be a #2 down the line.

I think most, including myself, if making an objective assessment, would take Manningham. However, for perspective sake, I'm also damn glad that our FO found us the kind of high potential receiver we can be excited about, who doesn't make the answer to this question a no-brainer.

I think most, including myself, if making an objective assessment, would take Manningham. However, for perspective sake, I'm also damn glad that our FO found us the kind of high potential receiver we can be excited about, who doesn't make the answer to this question a no-brainer.

too bad they chose White and Turner before this guy although I still felt this was a high spot for Hartline's value. He seems a solid pick. He did better as a rookie than Ted Ginn in much less playing time

According to last year's stats, both guys caught about 60% of the passes that were thrown their way. However, 2 of the passes intended for Manningham were intercepted (in 96 attempts) and 4 of the passes intended for Hartline were intercepted (in only 54 attempts). Manningham led the league in broken tackles by a WR with 18, while Hartline had a 16.3 YPC average to Manningham's 14.5. Manningham dropped 10 passes to Hartline's 3.

The stats are pretty similar, but it seems to lean toward Manningham at this point based on consistency and familiarity with Henne.

Hartline ran the better 40 yard dash time than
Manningham

Hartline ran a 4.12(4th of all Wide receivers at the 2009 combine) versus Manningham's 4.27 shuttle

Hartline ran a 6.65(2nd out of all wide receivers at the 2009 combine) versus Manninghams 7.34 shuttle

Hartline had the #1 fastest time in the 60 yard shuttle against all wide receivers at the 2009 combine

Manningham character traits
He's a big-play receiver with first-round talent, but his failure to admit past drug problems and a reported score of 6 on the Wonderlic intelligence exam raised serious questions about his head.

There certainly are a lot of mistakes for the 5-11, 178-pound Manningham to learn from, beginning with his arrest last April after Vicodin that was prescribed to one of his teammates was found in his car and his passengers were found to be in possession of marijuana. Charges were later dropped in part because Manningham had a Vicodin prescription of his own.

It was also later revealed that Manningham had failed two drug tests in college, though he wasn't suspended for those. Making matters worse, Manningham lied to NFL team officials at the scouting combine in February when he was asked about those failed tests.

I think the ceiling is higher for Manningham but I think he's going to be one of those players that constantly teases that potential and never puts it together. I think Hartline is going to be a solid starting WR in the NFL.

I think the ceiling is higher for Manningham but I think he's going to be one of those players that constantly teases that potential and never puts it together. I think Hartline is going to be a solid starting WR in the NFL.

I agree, I think Hartline has the potential to be a tough receiver that moves the chains and catches TD's.

I’d jump up and down if he emulated Steve Largent’s career!

I agree, I think Hartline has the potential to be a tough receiver that moves the chains and catches TD's.

I’d jump up and down if he emulated Steve Largent’s career!

Let's not go crazy, Largent is one of the best WRs of all time.

Let's not go crazy, Largent is one of the best WRs of all time.

I said "would" not "is".

The point is Largent was not like a Rice or Monk he reminded me more of a Ward or Smith type receiver with longevity, decent speed but more over a hell of a work ethic. If you need a td catch or first down it was automatic or at least it seemed like it.

I am in the camp that Miami doesn’t need a Moss, Wayne or Johnson on the team we need a Ward or Smith to solidify the receiving corps. Speed is nice but overrated even Rice wasn’t fast on the clock but man try to case him down and it seemed like even the NFL’s fastest players couldn’t catch him in the open field.

I don’t pencil anyone in the hall or starting position for that matter unless they demonstrate several productive seasons that improve on a yearly basis.

I said "would" not "is".

The point is Largent was not like a Rice or Monk he reminded me more of a Ward or Smith type receiver with longevity, decent speed but more over a hell of a work ethic. If you need a td catch or first down it was automatic or at least it seemed like it.

I am in the camp that Miami doesn’t need a Moss, Wayne or Johnson on the team we need a Ward or Smith to solidify the receiving corps. Speed is nice but overrated even Rice wasn’t fast on the clock but man try to case him down and it seemed like even the NFL’s fastest players couldn’t catch him in the open field.

I don’t pencil anyone in the hall or starting position for that matter unless they demonstrate several productive seasons that improve on a yearly basis.

I agree, I don't think you need a big time WR to win.

I agree, I don't think you need a big time WR to win.

Yea you need one with great hands. It helps so much in the development of a young QB. Even a great catching TE would work in my book something that dropped off dramatically from 08 to 09.

I watched alot of giants games this year Maningham got plenty of opportunity's but could not hold onto the #2 job there because the kid has terrible hands. Even the big plays he made he bobbled the ball and just got lucky the bounce went to him. No Question in my mind Hartline is a much better football player overall.

Yea you need one with great hands. It helps so much in the development of a young QB. Even a great catching TE would work in my book something that dropped off dramatically from 08 to 09.
What we need is a WR who picks up YAC consistently. What I seen from Hartline this year was just that. Seen him shed tackles and pick up YAC, can't say I seen the same from any other WR on our team.

What we need is a WR who picks up YAC consistently. What I seen from Hartline this year was just that. Seen him shed tackles and pick up YAC, can't say I seen the same from any other WR on our team.

Yea his YAC was 5.6 not shabby at all. He showed me enough to be excited this season about his development.

By the way Manningham's YAC was 4.8 since this is a thread about the two.

Back
Top Bottom