December swoon? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

December swoon?

taylorj99 said:
I think another reason for our habitual December faltering was the mental state of the team. With Wanny and some of his ridiculous play calling, I'd be insane and ready to quit after 4 months too.

Considering it was even worwse under JJ I'd say your theory has no merit.

miami_mi said:
I remember when Wanny gave the ball to Lamar Smith 40 times during that playoff game. The poor guy had nothing left against Oakland, that was painful to watch. I think Lamar had like 12 yards against Oakland.

Had he not given it to lamar so much you wouldn't have beaten the colts that day so at least he squeezed out a playoff W for you which is actually the last playoff win you have.

Simple solution: Better offense and more mental toughness on defense. Put them together and the December swoon is bye bye.

nyjunc said:
Considering it was even worwse under JJ I'd say your theory has no merit.

Do you have any theories, I'd be interesting to hear from a jet fan.

Sal Lisitano said:
The Dec. swoon was not mentioned because we never had a winning record...we were never 9-2...and than lost 5 games in a row...no dec. swoon because we had no shot last season.

Go Fins!!!

We were 9-2 the year we beat Dallas on Thanksgiving. After Leon Lett gave us that game we had the best record in football. Then the wheels fell off.:mad:

We lost 5 in a row after that game and missed the playoffs.

THose December Swoons only mattered when we were kicking butt all year long and then pansy up in December. In 2003, we did alright in December. Last year nothing mattered at all, so it wasn't a December slippage. This year if we have a decent team that wins some games, we'll see how they react later in the year to alittle more pressure.

miami_mi said:
Do you have any theories, I'd be interesting to hear from a jet fan.

I honestly don't know. As a Jet fan we have had our december swoons too. I just think sometimes it's injuries, sometimes teams wear out, sometimes you just are hot early and then crash back to reality. I'm not sure there is a common theme in every collpase.

nyjunc said:
I honestly don't know. As a Jet fan we have had our december swoons too. I just think sometimes it's injuries, sometimes teams wear out, sometimes you just are hot early and then crash back to reality. I'm not sure there is a common theme in every collpase.

I've been wanting to ask you about how you feel about Fiedler, any apprehensions, doubts, scared about his noodle arm?

miami_mi said:
I've been wanting to ask you about how you feel about Fiedler, any apprehensions, doubts, scared about his noodle arm?

I am very happy to have Jay as our backup. In a short term situation where Chad may be down for a game or 2 or 3 I have full confidence in Jay, if Chad went down for the year we'd be in trouble but still ok. I have always thought Jay got treated too harshly by dolphin fans bc/ you were spoiled having Marino for so many years. I think if you didn't have Dan then Jay would be a little more appreciated.

nyjunc said:
I am very happy to have Jay as our backup. In a short term situation where Chad may be down for a game or 2 or 3 I have full confidence in Jay, if Chad went down for the year we'd be in trouble but still ok. I have always thought Jay got treated too harshly by dolphin fans bc/ you were spoiled having Marino for so many years. I think if you didn't have Dan then Jay would be a little more appreciated.

Thanks for your honest opinion. It's true about how spoiled we are because of Dan. I just feel that any quarterback after Dan would have gotten the same treatment, unless they won the super bowl. Good luck this year, you guys have a good team this year.

miami_mi said:
Thanks for your honest opinion. It's true about how spoiled we are because of Dan. I just feel that any quarterback after Dan would have gotten the same treatment, unless they won the super bowl. Good luck this year, you guys have a good team this year.

There's no doubt about that, it's tough following a legend. I believe Dan is the greatest of all time and to go from him to Jay is obviously a huge drop(not from '99 Dan to '00 Jay but from prime Dan to '00 Jay) and it's understandable that it would be difficult for dolphin fans to embrace Jay.

Thanks for the well wishes, you guys will be good again soon(hopefully not too soon :D ).

nyjunc said:
Last year you were long out of it before December but 2 years ago you lost 2 in Dec to cost you a playoff spot, in '02 you lost your last 2 to miss a playoff spot, in '01 you lost 2 in Dec to cost you the division, in '00 you lost 2 of your last 3 but luckily the Jets lost 3 of the last 3 so you won the div, in '99 you lost 5 of your last 6, in '98 you lost 2 of your last 3, in '97 you blew the div by losing your last 2.

I'd say the tradition is alive and well w/ the exception of last year when you didn't have a chance to blow it since you were already out of it by Dec :D

I guess I wouldn't call December of 2003 a swoon. The two losses were to the Super Bowl champion and the NFC runner-up, and the Dolphins won their last two games of the season (as well as 5 of their last 7 after starting 5-4). I think to go from 5-4 to 10-6 is pretty good. One can only wonder why Indy refused to show up at home against Denver in the next-to-last week that cost us the play-off spot, only to kill them in the first round a couple of weeks later. But the team limped to the finish from 2002 all the way back to 1997, agreed.

Did this swoon start during the wanny/jj era or with shula's last few teams as well?

Back
Top Bottom