Defence and The Draft

kizzaboo

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
With the recent FA pick ups, what defensive positions do you expect the Dolphins to address?
I would have to say a young DE and a DT as out starters and even back ups are getting older. Let them learn behind the starters then 2-3 years down the road then put them in the starting position if they pan out right.

Jaj

What you say?
Reaction score
I would hope a DT around 300 pounds. If we trade down I hope we get Travis Johnson. He can play DE and DT with his quickness.

kizzaboo

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Jaj said:
I would hope a DT around 300 pounds. If we trade down I hope we get Travis Johnson. He can play DE and DT with his quickness.
We agree upon something. :eek: :tongue:

kizzaboo

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
PHINSfan said:
I say go O with the draft mostly, then during the later rounds BPA.
Never said it would be a defensive draft.. but we will pick up a few as your defence ages

Jaj

What you say?
Reaction score
I can't see what to get on O. We have so much youth especially on the OL that more isn't going to really help.

Right now the OL is

LT- McIntosh, St. Clair
LG- James, Smith
C- Hadnot, McKinney
RG- Carey, Hadnot
RT- McDougle, St. Clair

I'd like to sign Rich Braham/Reggie Tobeck to be our center and give the line a veteran presence or at worst a good backup. The only other possiblity I could see would be either drafting Barron in a trade down or mid round developmental LT. We're set otherwise with young OL...

kizzaboo

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Jaj said:
I can't see what to get on O. We have so much youth especially on the OL that more isn't going to really help.

Right now the OL is

LT- McIntosh, St. Clair
LG- James, Smith
C- Hadnot, McKinney
RG- Carey, Hadnot
RT- McDougle, St. Clair

I'd like to sign Rich Braham/Reggie Tobeck to be our center and give the line a veteran presence or at worst a good backup. The only other possiblity I could see would be either drafting Barron in a trade down or mid round developmental LT. We're set otherwise with young OL...
Our offence is a mystery. Questions fill most postions other than WR and TE. O line is new and young, you wouldnt want to use a pick other than for a LT, if at all. QB is a question mark. Will Feeley be a productive starting QB? Will Ferrotte start? RB, no one has seen much of Gordan and we gave what a second/third for him? Is Ricky coming back? Are we taking first round RB? Most would say RB in the first.

Jaj

What you say?
Reaction score
Well RB yes I agree and QB as well. The only thing I'd want is a guy like Steve Savoy at WR to fill the 4 spot.

kizzaboo

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Yes I know, I forgot one thing with WR as I was posting :shootself I would also like to see a WR drafted.

ChambersNBoston

Dan Marino is a God
Reaction score
Jaj said:
the next corey simon

tay0365

Super Donator
Finheaven VIP
Reaction score
kizzaboo said:
With the recent FA pick ups, what defensive positions do you expect the Dolphins to address?
I would have to say a young DE and a DT as out starters and even back ups are getting older. Let them learn behind the starters then 2-3 years down the road then put them in the starting position if they pan out right.
#1 defensive position that I believe Miami will draft, will be Safety, then maybe DT. I do not expect Mia to pickup any defensive players on day one, but anything is possible, and Saban is a defensive minded coach.

arge

Scout Team
Reaction score
On Offense, we really need to look at LT and C. Barron and/or Baas would be exceptional, to team up with James, Carey and McDougal. We need better depth at WR; should something happen to Chambers or Booker, we are looking at Thompson as a starter. He can be neutralized too easily, which means double coverage on the remaining starter. Plus, we need someone to play the slot-Mark Clayton from Oklahoma would be ideal; doubt we take him even in a trade down however. RB is a clear need, but Saban will most likely wait until the 2nd(if we can trade down or trade PS) or 3rd. He could then look at Arrington or Barber III. I obviously would prefer Brown or Benson, but Saban seems intent on passing in a RB heavy draft. Lastly, we need a QB to develop behind Feeley in case he doesn't work out. Frye would be perfect late in the first after a trade down.

Defense: We need a yound DE, and a young run-stuffing DT. We need help(!) at LB with Seau and Thomas(salary) maybe out the door in the next 2 years. That would leave us with Spragan and Moore(ouch!!). We need a young safety and more depth at CB. Sorry guys, just the truth. We are at least 2 drafts and another FA season before playoffs. It could all happen by training camp 2006!!

thedayafter

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I would expect to have 10-12 LB's on the roster in 2005 to run the multiple fronts expected.... they will have to come from the draft or undrafted FA's.....

tay0365

Super Donator
Finheaven VIP
Reaction score
Jaj said:

Right now the OL is

LT- McIntosh, St. Clair
LG- James, Smith
C- Hadnot, McKinney
RG- Carey, Hadnot
RT- McDougle, St. Clair

On the offensive side, we need a starting RB, a backup QB (That can be groomed to be a starter one day, a WR with some speed, and a Center that can start soon.

Top Bottom