Defense Playing Hero Ball | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Defense Playing Hero Ball

AJ Duhe

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
One of the big problems on our defense the last 2 years has been the pervasive habit of defenders getting out of position and chasing plays. Gase alluded to it last year when he spoke about Kiko losing man coverage technique. Burke finally took Maxwell off the field in 2017 when he wouldn't play the coverage technique as called. Then again this year, we see an issue pop up with Reshad Jones, an issue that may have been lingering for years. Add in Suh's freelancing nature, and the propensity of our DL to fall out of gap integrity, and we have a recurring problem.

I would really like Gase to look at the scheme and review the defensive philosophy. I know he wanted an aggressive, attacking defense, but there's a big difference between aggressive and undisciplined.

What do others see as the problems with the defense?

naaa, we have talent, I think its system/coaching. or we'd have talent if healthy I should say. Hayes and VT on DL were both impact players. we're fine at LB if they would communicate better, especially now that kiko hasn't been playing hero ball as much. the ONLY place I really see us lacking in talent is Boundary CB 2, and DE, Quinn doesn't look bad some games, but both him and wake seem to be more of QB pressure guys than getting there this season. the cap will prob get Quinn if he don't turn it up these last 7 games. but yeah I feel we have talent

Lack of a quality starter at CB opposite X. Also no depth at the position.

Two SS starting at the same time and our future stud FS had been playing at nickel CB.

Wake is showing signs of slowing down due to age. Quinn not producing. Lack of pass rush in general.

Our LBs aren’t that good in coverage. Baker has the tools but is a rookie. Raekwon will probably get somewhat better with experience but I don’t think he’ll ever excel in that area. Kiko has been playing really well but he’ll still get burned fairly often.

Problems with scheme. Need a better DC.

Injuries.

A lack of talent.

rosenhaus-and-owens.gif

Next question...

Lack of a quality starter at CB opposite X. Also no depth at the position.

Two SS starting at the same time and our future stud FS had been playing at nickel CB.

Wake is showing signs of slowing down due to age. Quinn not producing. Lack of pass rush in general.

Our LBs aren’t that good in coverage. Baker has the tools but is a rookie. Raekwon will probably get somewhat better with experience but I don’t think he’ll ever excel in that area. Kiko has been playing really well but he’ll still get burned fairly often.

Problems with scheme. Need a better DC.

Injuries.
This...

Go to the Big Nickel and alternate between Kiko and McMillan on everything but passing downs. Baker gets more light with the scatback types.

Slimm is this you agreeing with a lack of talent?

I think we have talent, I think a lot of it is misused in our current scheme.

I agree with what you're saying. But I think the first domino is lack of talent. There's guys not capable of doing their job, which causes others to not do their job by trying to do somebody else's job. I think the scheme is a poor one, but I'm not a Wide 9 guy. Furthermore, I think it's a poor fit for the talent and coaching Miami currently employs.

I think the coaches like the idea of the Wide 9 more than they actually like the Wide 9. I watched Cam Wake line up in a W9 technique only to crash inside the tackle at the snap on run blitzes in an attempt just to create some type of penetration against the Texans. Who filled the gap left? Nobody.

I agree with what you're saying. But I think the first domino is lack of talent. There's guys not capable of doing their job, which causes others to not do their job by trying to do somebody else's job. I think the scheme is a poor one, but I'm not a Wide 9 guy. Furthermore, I think it's a poor fit for the talent and coaching Miami currently employs.

I think the coaches like the idea of the Wide 9 more than they actually like the Wide 9. I watched Cam Wake line up in a W9 technique only to crash inside the tackle at the snap on run blitzes in an attempt just to create some type of penetration against the Texans. Who filled the gap left? Nobody.

I absolutely agree. I think the scheme leaves holes in the defense that can be exploited. For example, asking our light-in-the-seat linebackers to aggressively fill gaps and stack and shed is like swimming upstream. Baker can do it sometimes. McMillan less so. Kiko doesn't even try.

We have some talent. But when a guy stays man when it's clearly a zone and leaves Hopkins wide open that is on a player. I played with a guy like that on my team a few years ago. It wasn't he didn't know the call, he just didn't care. Do his own thing and injured me in the process. Are scheme is weak. The wide nine is a joke to run full time. Try different shades and fronts so we can stop the run. I personally like an attacking , aggressive Defense that can play multiple looks. We tackle poorly first contact. We clean up the mental errors and change the game plan to bilt more and get pressure we can do things. Tackle,block,create turnovers, score points.

Its coaching/scheme.

Players are freelancing because they dont respect the coach that has his head stuck up his ass.

Bring in a real DC and these guys would be a top 10 D, at least.

Sure we have some holes, but no more than other teams in the NFL.

Its coaching/scheme.

Players are freelancing because they dont respect the coach that has his head stuck up his ***.

Bring in a real DC and these guys would be a top 10 D, at least.

Sure we have some holes, but no more than other teams in the NFL.

C'mon man you really don't believe that do you?

Back
Top Bottom