Defensive Line Taking Form | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Defensive Line Taking Form

yah ok...holliday is better then ogun. great intelligence you have. how is traylor washed up? what is he...like 35? its called breaking down. even john clayton said the fins are desperate and thats why they signed him to a 2 year deal. holliday hasnt done anything since his packer days. he had like 5 sacks 2 years ago but 3 of them were in one game against the chargers and your very own damion mcintosh

KB21 said:
The starting line is pretty well set, but I think the depth on the interior may be a problem area.

LDE - Vonnie Holliday
LDT - Keith Traylor
RDT - Kevin Carter
RDE - Jason Taylor

The question is coming at the back up slots. Matt Roth and David Bowens will supply good depth at defensive end, with Roth possibly pushing for a starting job at some point. Defensive tackle is a different story though. If Larry Chester can come back 100% or close to it, then we have two big bodies to play the one technique. The spot behind Carter is going to be an interesting spot though. I wonder if they will eventually decide to keep Jeff Zgonina for depth purposes? It probably wouldn't be a bad idea, because he can play. He just can't start for an entire season. Kevin Vickerson is a young guy who isn't quite ready to be a key member of the defensive line rotation, IMO. There is some developing that will have to take place with him. Dario Romero is a guy that has played well for a back up player, and he could be the guy to back up Kevin Carter if the Dolphins decide to let Zgonina go. Josh Shaw is a player that Nick Saban coached at Michigan State, and Dan Quinn even had him in San Francisco, so there is some familiarity with him. These back up slots will be interesting battles. I believe the Dolphins will keep 10 defensive linemen, with the last two spots going to developmental types. IMO, those spots will probably go to Kevin Vickerson and maybe Ronald Flemons.

Personally I would like to see Roth as the DE opposite of Taylor

Carter - Romero
Traylor - Chester

Mod edit: We don't allow personal attacks and namecalling on this site. Please review the Terms of Service that you agreed to follow when you joined this site so that there won't be any confusion when you are banned for 24 hours following your second offense.

Larry Chester worked hard last year to get into powerful football shape. He watched what he ate ( a big sacrifice for him ) and was poised to have a very good year.

Unfortunately for him and for the team he suffered a season ending injury. He now is in a position to heal and not have to start. I have read the reports but have little to go beside that , so I can't say where he is in that vein.

Even if he he takes the first quarter of the season to get back to where he was or close to it , then we have solid depth.

We still will need to address this position long term , but Chester could be very very solid the last 2/3 rds of this season. Romero and Zgonia are at least servicable and can be productive in a rotation. Vickerson is a bonus , any value he gives will be a plus this season , he does have the p word though.... potential.

With Traylor signing we are not "in need " on the defensive line.... Now I think we will add another D back , once again I expect most d backs that become available to look very very favourably at wanting to play in Miami.

On an unrelated note , does anyone know if one year contracted players count when sign they elsewhere the following year? ( for compensatory consideration )I did read that , but not where it was emphatic. That would just be an additional bonus for Miami...

Very nice post KB. I'm surprised the "we should have drafted Wilfork" people to come out.

juventus said:
you need more then a FS to be "set". you need another CB opposite madison, some new LBs (crowder is a start), and an interior line....or else teams will run crazy on the fins and wont even have to pass the ball. thomas is a great LB but he needs those fatasses in the front to take up blockers
Running on the Fins may not get the job done.

Have you seen the offense being put together down here?

I expect that more than a few teams are going to be playing catch-up football to Miami this year.

Philter25 said:
Personally I would like to see Roth as the DE opposite of Taylor

Carter - Romero
Traylor - Chester

I agree. I'm really hoping Roth wins the job opposite Taylor. Holliday is a good run stuffer, but he can't get to the passer. Maybe we'll see Roth start out as a 3rd down pass rusher. In fact, I'd almost rather see Holliday put on 20 pounds and move inside.

And I'm still concerned about our DT situation, even with Traylor's signing. I don't really view Kevin Carter as an every down DT; I'd much rather see him rotate between DE and DT according to the situation. Assuming Timbo retires (and that's looking like a good possibility), we really need Chester to come back healthy, or at least enough to rotate in for 20-30 snaps per game.

phunwin said:
I agree. I'm really hoping Roth wins the job opposite Taylor. Holliday is a good run stuffer, but he can't get to the passer. Maybe we'll see Roth start out as a 3rd down pass rusher. In fact, I'd almost rather see Holliday put on 20 pounds and move inside.

And I'm still concerned about our DT situation, even with Traylor's signing. I don't really view Kevin Carter as an every down DT; I'd much rather see him rotate between DE and DT according to the situation. Assuming Timbo retires (and that's looking like a good possibility), we really need Chester to come back healthy, or at least enough to rotate in for 20-30 snaps per game.
Holiday=Mixon
Roth=LoBro.

Neither one is a three down player this year.

I believe Traylor will be the RDT. In Sabans offset 4-3 defense the RDT is more over the center than the LDT. Jason Taylor will then be more likely to be heads up on the OLT with the option of going inside or out. In the 3-4, Traylor will be the NT for now until we hear about Chester.

The nickle defensive line is in good shape with Carter and Holliday able to move inside in a 4-3 and still provide a good push up the middle. That will give us Roth and/or DBo to play outside on the left. The trick will be getting opposing offenses into a third and long. For that we will need guys like Chester and Traylor inside on a regular basis. I don't think Carter is big ehough to hold up against OG's for four downs.

Vickerson was listed by a number of draft guides as a top ten NT. He will likely be brought along behind Traylor who is at best a two year band-aid. If Vickerson does pan out and develops then the problem could be a lot less than many of us think!

Part of my trouble with examining the defense is that I'm still trying to get my head around the new schemes. For years we have wanted huge DT's to clog up the middle and let Zach flow to the play. That is not the new style yet I admit to still wanting to judge talent by those parameters. Reminds me of the year JJ took over and installed his D. Took me a while to understand the changes from Shula's system and the new personnel nuances.

Kevin Carter is going to start at LE dont know where or why guys keep thinking he is going to play inside in the base "D"?

He will play tackle on passing downs but not in base defense, so you need to rework your line depth with that in mind.

whats a more realistic depth chart is :

RE-Taylor/bowens
DT-Chester/Holliday/Romaro
DT-Trayloy/Zganina/Vickerson
LE-Carter/Roth

Until we see some practice or games, there is a chance that the dolphins might use their bigger DT's(chester, Traylor, T.Bowens) over the center in their over/under shifted defensive fronts & use their quicker DT's(zgonina, Romaro, Holliday) to play the 3 technique on the guards shoulder.

In passing downs look for the best pass rushers.... Taylor, Roth, Carter & Holliday on most passing downs.

Thats my opinion and dont mean to sound ****y but all you guys that have K.Carter playing DT in baes are wrong.

phinian said:
d-line looks good. need some sort of safety help and we will be set.. may sound mean but i hope ricky blows out a knee the first day of his camp after he signs the league vet minimum.. you laugh at that but these things have a way of working themselves out.

Yeah, that'd be so much better than having him help us win games at the vet. min. :/

juventus said:
well im not a dolphin fan but it doesnt have take a genius to know miami's defense is a FS away from being set. howard? LOL ok buddy. that guy was the weak link of carolina's defense. wasnt he like 4th on the depth chart last year? come on guys...get real...just a lil...please?lol

"it doesnt have take a genius" Obviously not.

juventus said:
yah ok...holliday is better then ogun. great intelligence you have. how is traylor washed up? what is he...like 35? its called breaking down. even john clayton said the fins are desperate and thats why they signed him to a 2 year deal. holliday hasnt done anything since his packer days. he had like 5 sacks 2 years ago but 3 of them were in one game against the chargers and your very own damion mcintosh

• He said Carter, not Holliday.
  • Age isn't the only factor
  • If you value John Clayton's opinion, I don't value yours

inFINSible said:
Running on the Fins may not get the job done.

Have you seen the offense being put together down here?

I expect that more than a few teams are going to be playing catch-up football to Miami this year.

Excellent point, inFINS.

Back
Top Bottom