Defensive Line Taking Form | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Defensive Line Taking Form

byroan said:
You obviously have no clue about what you're talking about. We have Howard opposite of Madison, he started for the Panthers when they went to the SB. We are set at LB.

Ok he started for a SB team, but then again he got beat quite often by David Patten and Troy Brown during that SB game. Was he also playing out of position for that game? I know he was playing out of positon for us this year...

KB21 said:
The starting line is pretty well set, but I think the depth on the interior may be a problem area.

LDE - Vonnie Holliday
LDT - Keith Traylor
RDT - Kevin Carter
RDE - Jason Taylor

The question is coming at the back up slots. Matt Roth and David Bowens will supply good depth at defensive end, with Roth possibly pushing for a starting job at some point. Defensive tackle is a different story though. If Larry Chester can come back 100% or close to it, then we have two big bodies to play the one technique. The spot behind Carter is going to be an interesting spot though. I wonder if they will eventually decide to keep Jeff Zgonina for depth purposes? It probably wouldn't be a bad idea, because he can play. He just can't start for an entire season. Kevin Vickerson is a young guy who isn't quite ready to be a key member of the defensive line rotation, IMO. There is some developing that will have to take place with him. Dario Romero is a guy that has played well for a back up player, and he could be the guy to back up Kevin Carter if the Dolphins decide to let Zgonina go. Josh Shaw is a player that Nick Saban coached at Michigan State, and Dan Quinn even had him in San Francisco, so there is some familiarity with him. These back up slots will be interesting battles. I believe the Dolphins will keep 10 defensive linemen, with the last two spots going to developmental types. IMO, those spots will probably go to Kevin Vickerson and maybe Ronald Flemons.
The D-line is looking good. Even though we have signed Traylor I think we could do with another DT given the uncertainty with T. Bowens & L. Chester and the relative inexperience of the other players.

what i would like to see assuming chester healthiness

1st downs & 2nd/3rd and shorts (running situations)
bring out the beef
LE - Carter
LT - Chester
RT - Traylor
RE - Taylor

2nd/3rd and Longs (passing situations)
Add speed
LE - Roth
LT - Holliday
RT - Carter
RE - Taylor

so basically our best Dlineman, carter and taylor are used every down (besides the occasional rest) and the rest are rotated into situational players, keeping them fresh and lettin them play to their strengths...

Back
Top Bottom