Defensive Speed | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Defensive Speed

Phinguy

Practice Squad
Reaction score
"The Dolphins had a fast, active defense last year, but the signing of the two veterans slows that unit down, which showed up against the Texans."

Pete Prisco reffering to the Seau and Knight signings. I don't think I totally agree with this guy. I think like Buckley said the defense is still trying to learn to gel together. Besides, I think two new starters are hardly enough to slow the whole defense down.

Thoughts?
:idea:

How much faster is Rodgers than Seau and Freeman than Knight??? the difference can't be that big. Remember the Pats 2001 defense was not exactly loaded with speed.

Prisco is a moron and takes any opportunity to talk trash about miami. I recommend you take his comments as that of a total blubbering moronic miami hater who somehow got a job writing. Seriously, this guy's brother must be running sportsline because his articles are always full of incorrect "facts" and idiotic statements.

Like the Jest would win the AFC East last season that's moronic. Or we would lose to NE in week 17 last season what an idiot. How about whenever he ranks another AFC East team ahead of us in the power rankings that really makes him look dumb :rolleyes:.

Rodgers was much faster than Junior the only problem is he didn't know how to use it. In one area it may hurt us a little is with Junior covering backs out of the backfeild. But we've only really seened one game so we will see how it works out. One thing I noticed was it didn't seem like Zach was as agressive as he usually is almost like he was letting junior be the agressive one. It just seemed like sometimes he wasn't all out. Like they said I think it might take a little while to gel.

"Rodgers was much faster than Junior the only problem is he didn't know how to use it."

I do think Seau is much quicker at getting through the offensive line but I think you're right that we may lose something with him in covering backs and tightends. We shall see.

Prisco is a blithering idiot, and not just because he is biased against Miami.

But where is the speed in our Defense? We have speed rushers at DE, but that's a common trend, and not a huge deal. Bowens and Chester arent particularly quick.

In our linebackers, I dont see it either. Zach is the core, and he's not fast. He's instinctive, and has excellent recognition, heart, and has good fundamentals. Is the speed between Rodgers and Seau going to be a big problem? Why would it be? Rodgers wasnt exactly a cornerstone in our D to begin with. He was a weakness. Morlon is retained from last season.

In our DB's, we dont have a particular speed either. Our cornerbacks arent stunningly fast as far as I know. They're physical, and excel at man to man. And our safeties? Marion isnt fast. I'd hesititate to call him any faster then Knight at this point. And I was under the impression in our scheme they only covered deep(when they see the wr's coming and have a chance to react and backpeddal) and do most of their work once the ball is in the air or caught?

If I'm wrong with any of my premises here, please correct me, I'd be interested in learning..

Originally posted by Phinguy
"Rodgers was much faster than Junior the only problem is he didn't know how to use it."

I do think Seau is much quicker at getting through the offensive line but I think you're right that we may lose something with him in covering backs and tightends. We shall see.

I agree Junior is a beast taking on blocks from bigger guys. Much better at that than Zach.

"But where is the speed in our Defense?"
Disgustipate

It used to be with Miami's D I used to hear comentators talk about there team speed. Like when a back would try to get to the outside and Miami's defenders would stretch the run all the way out until the guy was gang tackled. Maybe we're not as fast as we used to be but definately I still think there's a quickness to this defense. Maybe that's just the defenders having good instincts.

Bills have very speedy linebackers...and a speedy secondary....sam adams is the only one that doesnt have good speed, but hey, he still lugged one 37 yards for a td!

Our corners have speed. You need a lot of speed to play man on man most of the time. They may not be as fast as they once were, but still fast enough.

Originally posted by XoPhinsoX
Our corners have speed. You need a lot of speed to play man on man most of the time. They may not be as fast as they once were, but still fast enough.

I agree they are pretty fast and very instinctive.

Madison and Surtain have VERY average speed for NFL corners. Infact, scouts questioned whether Surtain had enough speed to play CB in the NFL at all, when he was drafted. These two guys just have very good skill, which allows them to make the plays. Heck, Jerry Wilson was fast!!

IMHO, it is all about instinct. Zach REACTS so quickly that he gets a head start on most guys. In a footrace, Rodgers beats Zach running backwards. As a linebacker, Zach gets to the play two yards ahead of Rodgers (and knows what to do when he gets there) because of that instinct. DO you remember that screen play against the Packers last year, where the commentator (I forget which one) pointed out that Zach was moving towards the play before most of the offensive player.

The same thing goes for Sammy Knight. This guy has always made plays because he reads the field so well, and is very instinctive....this allows him to always be around the football.

So is the Miami defense as fast as it once was?? NO. Is it a more intelligent, instinctive defense?? Most definately.Speed and instinct is ideal, Given a choice though, I take the later.

Also, if you look to the future: Eddie Moore, Jenkins, Freeman(poss??), are all speed guys who will hopefully be learning a lot this year (Moore from the wings). However, this needs to continue, with young guys being drafted for the future.

I read somewhere that Seau still runs a 4.5. That's not exactly slow for a LB.

Back
Top Bottom