Defensive Speed | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Defensive Speed

Originally posted by phinphan
Madison and Surtain have VERY average speed for NFL corners. Infact, scouts questioned whether Surtain had enough speed to play CB in the NFL at all, when he was drafted. These two guys just have very good skill, which allows them to make the plays. Heck, Jerry Wilson was fast!!

IMHO, it is all about instinct. Zach REACTS so quickly that he gets a head start on most guys. In a footrace, Rodgers beats Zach running backwards. As a linebacker, Zach gets to the play two yards ahead of Rodgers (and knows what to do when he gets there) because of that instinct. DO you remember that screen play against the Packers last year, where the commentator (I forget which one) pointed out that Zach was moving towards the play before most of the offensive player.

The same thing goes for Sammy Knight. This guy has always made plays because he reads the field so well, and is very instinctive....this allows him to always be around the football.

So is the Miami defense as fast as it once was?? NO. Is it a more intelligent, instinctive defense?? Most definately.Speed and instinct is ideal, Given a choice though, I take the later.

Also, if you look to the future: Eddie Moore, Jenkins, Freeman(poss??), are all speed guys who will hopefully be learning a lot this year (Moore from the wings). However, this needs to continue, with young guys being drafted for the future.

phinphan this seems like a very accurate perpective to me. If that's the case this defense should be gelling big timein a couple of games... I would think. Unless these guys lost all their instincts. I'm really looking forward to the team coming out on fire this Sunday!:sr23:

Back
Top Bottom