Defensive Tackle is a Major Concern | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Defensive Tackle is a Major Concern

Disgustipate said:
I wasnt aware that Tim Bowens fired his current doctor and hired you. Tell us, doctor, what did you find directly opposite of his old doctor that said he should be ok to play football this season?

Im no doctor, but Id be VERY surprised if Bowens played 16 games this year.

I do agree though that defensive tackle will be a high priority next year. It is very likely that this will be the last year of Larry Chester and Tim Bowens as Miami Dolphins.

hate to chirp on the past, but we should have drafted the BPA in last years 1st round: Mr. Vince Wilfork

Austin Tatious said:
Other than QB and Left tackle, the other position where we are extremely vulnerable is defensive tackle. For some reason, this board completely glosses over the dire straits the interior D line is in. Carter and Holliday are 3-4 ends, and not run stuffing tackles. They may be able to get some push inside in the pash rush, but we need to stop the run first and foremost. That's where it starts.

I was disappointed to read that Chester is out of shape. If he shows up to camp overweight, just cut him. That is unacceptable if he cannot work hard and do his job by staying in shape.

TBo is a longshot to stay healthy.

Take all these pieces together, and we are going to have trouble stopping the run.

I also feel that the DT position is a concern. Especially if Holliday does not play inside. I don't have much confidence in TimBo coming back healthy. Back problems don;t just go away... especially in really big men like he is.

I have had back issues myself and I have found nothing helps it except alot of work and excercise. The more I do the better I feel. What was the last season Tim Bowens even practiced?

So who will be cut after june 1st that we can pick up? Any NFLE players? PS on other teams would be too late!

Where is that capologist guy...the thrombocytosis one.

well, if Timbo knew he could not come back, why wouldnt have he retired by now?
he must still want to play, and i hope he does

MelbournePhin said:
well, if Timbo knew he could not come back, why wouldnt have he retired by now?
he must still want to play, and i hope he does

Not sure of his cap situation, he may be cut after June 1st without participating in any drills.

phinfan2003 said:
I would say the FS spot is a bigger area of need than DT. With all of players that we have to play DT Timbo, Chester, Romero, Zgonina, Carter, and the rookies, we should be able to field a decent rotation. On the other hand, we can't say the same about our FS.

I would like to see them give Bua a shot at FS. He may not be fast enough though, but if he was I would love to see some of the shots he is going to lay on a WR coming over the middle.

With the DT, you have to figure that since we have all these DL we are going to be able to rotate them in and out. Not to mention the fact of look how much the D has been on the field the past couple of years. This year is we actually have an offensive system that doesnt consist of run, run, run, punt then maybe our D wont get so worn down.

We have to look at this as a fresh start, we dont know what is going to happen with the other players, we dont know what type of systems we are going to run, we dont know how our players will play under a different system. This is a whole new start. Lets just watch and see what happens.

Austin Tatious said:
Other than QB and Left tackle, the other position where we are extremely vulnerable is defensive tackle. For some reason, this board completely glosses over the dire straits the interior D line is in. Carter and Holliday are 3-4 ends, and not run stuffing tackles. They may be able to get some push inside in the pash rush, but we need to stop the run first and foremost. That's where it starts.

I was disappointed to read that Chester is out of shape. If he shows up to camp overweight, just cut him. That is unacceptable if he cannot work hard and do his job by staying in shape.

TBo is a longshot to stay healthy.

Take all these pieces together, and we are going to have trouble stopping the run.

I think the bottomline is you can't fix every problem in one off-season for a 4-12 team run into the ground by Wannstedt/Spielman.

Saban... (On if any Dolphins players are not at their ideal weight) – “We have a couple of guys that have been injured and guys that are injured and inactive, especially if they are big guys, it’s more difficult for them to come back. We’re not disappointed in where they are, we just know that we have a plan that we have to implement to try to get them to where they need to be by when we get started. In some of those cases that may be difficult to do too, relative to their injuries. We just do the best we can to get them as ready as we can and go from there......

"we have a plan....some cases that might be difficult to do"..... subtle pressure a Saban tactic...

Let's face the upcoming truth. DT Tim Bowens is no longer capable of holding down his DT position in my opinion. His back problems are worse, and he hasn't been himself in years. Time to move on without him....

DT L. Chester is still very capable in my opinion. He had a bad start to the 2004 season, and never regained his form. He should be much better this year once he gets in shape. I have no worries with Chester as of yet....

DT D. Romero always gets overlooked. He's been climbing up the depth chart every season, and this could be the year he emerges to the starting Dt position IMO. Maybe you think I'm reaching, well we'll see about that. I like Romero's hard work ethic, and it should pay off under Saban. At the very least, he should be retained as depth at DT....

DE / DT K. Cater - He's old, but he's always healthy, and consistant. He's not the pass rusher he use to be, but he still plays hard, and his motivation will go a long way on the DL no matter where he lines up. He's a solid "situational replacement" for Bowens....

DE / DT V. Holliday - I have no clue where he will fit in, but if Saban thinks he can use him somewhere, I trust him. Holliday use to be a very disruptive player, and was always around the ball. If he can get / stay healthy, we'll have ourselves a solid pass rusher IMO....

DT J. Zgnonina - I'm not sure what Saban has in store for him. If we retain him, we know he's a decent depth player at DT. Not great, but certainly not poor....

There is a minor concern at DT, but I think Saban has a good plan he's installing with the guys we've got on the DL. I'm looking forward to TC!!!....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

Overall on the Dline:

Timbo: You never fully recover from that type of back injury. I would expect him to TRY to come back and play a limited role.

Chester: He should be able to come back.

Carter: Should be a force at DT.

Zgonina: Depth only. Hes old.

Vickerson: Hes a rookie, depth only. I dont have high expectations for him this year.

Romero: Backup DT. Very very solid backup.

Right now IMO Chester and Carter should be our starting DT's with TimBo, Romero as backups and then Zgonina and Vickerson as third string guys.

We DONT have a problem at DT, we just are not solid there. We have injuries at DT but with the addition of Carter, im not worried about the DT spot as much as im worried about the FS spot.

We should really be concerned about FS. Bell is always hurt and behind him we have Tillman? You cant be happy with the FS situation.

saban could hardly upgrade the DL on draftday....There were a couple prizes like Travis Johnson & Shaun Cody but Johnson when mid first and Cody went early second, where we had no picks. I agree the interior D-Line could be better but not so much a concern as our O-Line

Think Saban did the smart thing in going with TB & Chester this year because of the weak DT draft. Any DT taken earlier than Vickerson would have been a big reach. Would you have rather taken Babineaux instead of Roth, Piou or Ellison instead of Crowder, or Fields (#137) instead of Daniels? Or maybe pot head Hawthorne (#175) instead of Alabi? IMO Saban did a good job not reaching for those players.

Not a lot of quality free agent DL available but Saban got good value with Carter & Holliday, who are better than Robinson & Williams.

Saban's taking a risk with TB & Chester, but not an expensive one because both restructured contracts big time, saving 2 million+ on the cap.

Add DE Roth and the DL is improved even w/o Chester or TB. The DL will be much improved if either/both can play.

Back
Top Bottom