Defensive tackle top need | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Defensive tackle top need

Thank you! About time someone acknowledged this.

so if the Dolphins plan to find a player who can come in and help immediately they might be forced to use an early pick on a top-shelf talent like Michigan State’s Malik McDowell, Florida’s Caleb Brantley, Clemson’s Carlos Watkins, Michigan’s Chris Wormley, Oklahoma’s Vincent Taylor or Alabama’s Dalvin Tomlinson, who could all come off the board in the first three rounds.

I am so afraid of them taking McDowell. Biggest fear aside from Lamp.

DE, LB, FS, and guard are all bigger needs. I put DT in the same line as slot corner.

Hope they have a FA in mind. It's not the right draft to go after DT.

There are scenarios where drafting a DT would be acceptable, but I think it's unlikely for you to get proper value at the position in the 2017 Draft.

Also why I mentioned Malik McDowel a few weeks back. I normally don't like guys with motor/effort issues but I'm not convinced it's a huge deal with MM but it would have to be investigated thoroughly. Having a guy who could play end or inside kills two birds with one stone on this depth chart.

NFL COMPARISON: Carlos Dunlap, Cincinnati Bengals -- Like when Dunlap entered the league, there are some doubts whether or not McDowell can live up to his high football ceiling, but the natural gifts at that size are worth the risk.

When the motor is revving, displays an angry energy to routinely chase and make plays outside the hashes. Height/length combo to be productive on special teams units (one blocked kick in his MSU career). Versatile experience playing at multiple positions on the defensive line, both inside and outside. Solid production, tallying 24.5 tackles for loss over 23 career starts.

Allows his motor to get into overdrive, slipping off tackles and not finishing at contact. Can get caught too far inside, giving up the edge to rushers. Only one pass break-up in his three-year career. Allows his emotions to take over at times, going on personal crusades against blockers and taking mistakes with him to the next play. Appeared to shut it down at times in the second half of 2016 when the season started to go south (missed the final three games of his career due to a left ankle sprain).

The way Gase talked about it yesterday, it seemed like they want to add a veteran DT down the road. But who knows.

Absolutely true.

I just don't believe this answer is in the draft. Maybe a day 3 guy with potential who can make the bottom of the active rotation in year one . . . But there are still several veteran DTs out there that can serve that Earl Mitchell/Jason Jones role.

The way Gase talked about it yesterday, it seemed like they want to add a veteran DT down the road. But who knows.

Hopefully that and another veteran guard. This draft is too deep at edge and safety to ignore either or at 22 and 54.

I like the value in round 5 at DT over the top 3 rounds just like I prefer the value at guard in rounds 2 and 3 over the first. You can still get a DeAngelo Brown or Charles Walker later in the draft to learn behind Suh, Phillips, and a vet.

Hope they have a FA in mind. It's not the right draft to go after DT.

There are scenarios where drafting a DT would be acceptable, but I think it's unlikely for you to get proper value at the position in the 2017 Draft.

Which is why I prefer Hankins over Brown, all things being roughly equal. Finding a R1 DE/LB should be easier than DT.

No way is anybody from within the org is saying what our main target is right now pre draft. Smoke screens will be at the forefront as this 'aint the old regime. Anybody who is anybody can see what we need.

I am so afraid of them taking McDowell. Biggest fear aside from Lamp.

DE, LB, FS, and guard are all bigger needs. I put DT in the same line as slot corner.

I don't want to reach either but "reach" is relative to who's available by the time we are on the clock.

There are probably two LB's worthy of a 1st round grade. Reddick and Foster. Both are likely to be gone. I suppose some will make a case for Davis and Cunningham in round 1.

FS is not without questions and projections. Some claim Peppers can play FS but it was not his forte (or strength) in college. Hooker looks like a future star but is VERY inexperienced. Adams looks like a SS. All are likely gone by 22.

DE's in the draft is the combination of both these issues. Garett is gone. Thomas is gone. Derek Barnett is probably gone. Taco Charlton is not without question marks and could be gone. The rest are likely 3-4 OLB's. Not sure where Willis will go or be ranked.

Lamp could very well be gone if you believe about half of the mocks.

Chances are McD could be gone as well but my point is he could very well be the BPA by the time 22 hits.

Unless this is a smokescreen than this off-season continues to baffle me. They filled holes in Free Agency where the draft is strongest (DE,LB,S,TE) and left holes where the draft is weakest (DT,OG). And if they go DT anytime before the 5th and for more than depth then what does that say about Phillips?

If they planned all along to go this route why not kick Suh outside instead of Hayes and sign Hankins or the Ravens NT? Would have been better off.

I've been hard on Phillips since the end of the season and received a little heat for it.....are you guys saying you no longer see him as a future DT for the Phins?

If they planned all along to go this route why not kick Suh outside instead of Hayes and sign Hankins or the Ravens NT? Would have been better off.

Suh at DE?! While we're at it let's also move Zach Thomas to safety.

Back
Top Bottom