Defensive tackle top need | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Defensive tackle top need

McDowell has the same questions that Phillips had. Similiar measurables but consistent effort and motivation a concern.

McDowell has the same questions that Phillips had. Similiar measurables but consistent effort and motivation a concern.

It will have to be checked out for sure but one of the issues with JP was conditioning. I don't see that as an issue with MM. He's not a fat body like JP, he's pretty ripped.

When flanked by veterans who helped guide and push him, he was a difference-maker. Forgotten in last year’s College Football Playoff semifinals was a stellar first-half performance against Alabama, when his presence helped slow the Crimson Tide and keep the game close.

His coaches expected him to build off that effort this season. He couldn’t, and when he didn’t, he became the symbol of a struggling team and a defensive line that was unable to pressure the quarterback.

Perhaps that wasn’t fair. Yet his combination of size and strength and speed come with expectation, and will at the next level, too.

McDowell is now in South Florida, where he's training in preparation for the NFL combine, which starts in late February.

Along with training for that, McDowell said he's also focused on getting healthy, which he wasn't at any point this season. This season featured a slew of injuries, McDowell said, from his ribs and chest to his shoulder. The ailments went far beyond the typical wear and tear of a season, he said, and were made worse by the constant pressure he faced.

"It felt like I was taking on more double teams, triple teams," McDowell said. "It was a hard year for me this year, a hard year for the team overall."

It will have to be checked out for sure but one of the issues with JP was conditioning. I don't see that as an issue with MM. He's not a fat body like JP, he's pretty ripped.

I kinda wonder if the effort thing was overblown at Michigan state too...cause what I saw was an animal...guess I saw the tapes he put out before he decided to "mail it in"

some guys also save themselves for the pros...and that stuff usually cleans itself up once they are getting paid to play in the pros...hell even x howard had some inconsistent effort on college tape...

There's a big difference from playing hurt to playing injured. Maybe that's the case with him because on tape he's pretty good.

not many guys get drafted to play 43 de's at that height and weight...295 is a big damn 43 de...even Mario was 285 I believe coming out

I have been pounding the table for McDowell for weeks now and I don't understand the FH hatred. Yes there is some risk here, but there is risk for every player. If McD was more consistent in college, we would not be sniffing him at #22. Kudos to the Fins for asking him his side of the story. The kid is only 20 years old and he was thrown to the wolves while injured; but his tape does not lie. McDowell at #22 is comparable to Tunsil at #13; a steal at a premium position and a position of need for the Dolphins! It's no wonder so many mocks have McDowell going in the first round (including Miami at #22). I just hope his draft stock does not rise in the next few weeks.

Also, I think Miami now has the right coaching and veteran leadership to help this kid develop into a superstar.

I'll take the dented Ferrari over the shiny new Toyota every time!:hump:

RW

I hadn't considered McDowell before and didn't love his comment posted in this thread about being double teamed. Just watched some of the Breakdown video on him and he was double and tripled teamed constantly and still made his presence felt. Looks like he struggles with pad level which isn't surprising but he can anchor when kept low, split double teams and while not cat quick bends well when rushing from the DE position. I am not in favor of taken DL at 22 but he is intriguing.

A rookie DT like McDowell would probably see more snaps than Harris, Willis, etc...will a rookie DE see the field on 3rd and long? Over Wake and Branch? Probably not...and you wouldn't rush either of those two inside, nor would you with Barnett/Willis/Harris...only William Hayes would be effective in that role really. Like I said Branch's money should've gone to a guard...that way whatever pass rusher we take in the first 2 rounds would actually be given plenty of opportunity to make a significant impact....now the guy might just be buried on the depth chart.

I kinda wonder if the effort thing was overblown at Michigan state too...cause what I saw was an animal...guess I saw the tapes he put out before he decided to "mail it in"

some guys also save themselves for the pros...and that stuff usually cleans itself up once they are getting paid to play in the pros...hell even x howard had some inconsistent effort on college tape...

...and who did he play next to at MSU in 2016? Anyone else going to the NFL? I don't see anyone on the DL. He was the focus on every opponents game plan after what he showed in 2015. Look at how Suh can be can be swallowed up on our DL with minimal talent around him. Now throw in the injuries. Did he take some plays off when the season was out of reach? Possibly.

MM had more talent around him last year with Shilique Calhoun (Raiders), Lawrence Thomas (Jets) and Joel Heath (Texans). Only one was drafted but they were a better unit.

A 6'6 295 lb 4-3 DE ???.....Not many of those around but also not many with his get off and physical skills. Karlos Dunlop is 280. Mario Williams was 295 at the combine but also ran a 4.70 40.

Suh at DE?! While we're at it let's also move Zach Thomas to safety.
Careful, he might be suggesting a scheme change to your preferred 34, because we all know the Dolphins are not cutting Suh loose. So, maybe you might want to see where he goes with this. :-)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

i lost a lot of respect for the dline coach when he said last year during tc "I know one thing we will do and that's stop the run"

fail

if mcdowells green lighted he's top 15 worthy talent
Agreed, but he did make that statement when he thought he had Reshad Jones, IAQ, Xavien Howard, Koa Misi, Earl Mitchell and the Mario Williams who showed up for one good game. Those guys are all run-stuffing upgrades over Michael Thomas, Bacarri Rambo, Lippett, Neville Hewitt/Spencer Paysinger, Phillips, and Branch.

Not defending him or his statement, just putting it into context. I agree, our run stopping was an obvious fail.

But, by paying Timmons $12M ($11M guaranteed!) we locked ourselves into another LB who cannot cover. By resigning Branch (for more than Jamaal Sheard!) we locked ourselves into a DE who is subpar against the run and only totaled about as many sacks as Hayes (who was our best acquisition).

Stopping the run? With the money we spent on defense we should be getting players who can do more than that ... and I'm not convinced we will even do that particularly well.

/deadhorse We should have gotten guards in FA and drafted defense /enddeadhorse

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

McDowell would be fine with me @ 22....if QBs don't make a run I think our options are going to be more limited than we first imagined....mocks are coming into form and consensus is pushing some of our targets up it seems

Back
Top Bottom