Defensive Tackle | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Defensive Tackle

Was curious about that myself, that could definitely come in handy.
Some people think we don't use DEs inside very often and that may be correct but I definitely saw Jason Jones inside last season and even saw Suh at DE. The DL has versatility which could keep teams guessing

Get D tackle who can hold his ground, hold space and play the run. Work guys out and see who's in shape. If you're insistent on up field rushers, well I don't agree but then look into another of that type.

Up field rusher is essentially how the term "aggressive" is defined in our scheme. The gym shorts (read: Jim Schwartz) model of defense, which Burke has been under virtually his entire coaching career, is predicated on DL penetration, not blitzing. Schwartz's defenses typically have the lowest percentage of blitzes in the NFL. The system historically holds firmly around 15%.

Simply adding a stout run defender(s) in our scheme does not change the one gap concept. They are still only occupying a single gap. This concept is not the same as a DL being double teamed. Zone blocking will always double at least one DL and most likely two at the POA. A DL being double teamed or taking on two blockers is not the same concept as a 2 gap technique or controlling 2 gaps. That in itself will never be apart of our scheme and it cannot be accomplished with a tweak to the scheme. Utilizing 2 gap tech DL requires a significant change in scheme, flow, and terminology and it's not something one will find in our 4-3 Over front.

Some people think we don't use DEs inside very often and that may be correct but I definitely saw Jason Jones inside last season and even saw Suh at DE. The DL has versatility which could keep teams guessing

You're correct. In our pass rush sub packages, and when time permitted, we would slide our base DE inside and sub a specialized pass rusher on the edge. At times, although rare, like you mentioned we would try to exploit matches in obvious pass rush situations by aligning our DL in advantageous spots.

You're correct. In our pass rush sub packages, and when time permitted, we would slide our base DE inside and sub a specialized pass rusher on the edge. At times, although rare, like you mentioned we would try to exploit matches in obvious pass rush situations by aligning our DL in advantageous spots.
Is that some of the versatility you are calling for? I know mostly you are talking about back 7 blitzes which I think statistically we may only Do about 15 percent of the time. Do you have any statistics on that? I was just guessing with my 15% number.

Is that some of the versatility you are calling for? I know mostly you are talking about back 7 blitzes which I think statistically we may only Do about 15 percent of the time. Do you have any statistics on that? I was just guessing with my 15% number.

No, that's been a typical maneuver of the pass rush sub packages like that of the nickel or dime that have been used by all teams/ defenses for decades.

I'm more in favor of front 7 versatility like that of the 3-4 or 4-3 Under where you have OLB's that are proficient in both coverage and pass rush so the defense can disguise their intentions, instead of using predominately off the ball LBs like we have. And also a scheme that can utilize 2 gap tech DL's to allow more free flow to the ball for the LB unit.

I have only charted half the games so far for last season but we hovered around 17-18% as I havent totaled the final numbers yet. The most so far being NE wk2 (28%), 2nd most Cincinnatti wk 4 (22%) and the least being Arizona (11%).

Last edited:
Mike Kaye @mike_e_kaye·1h

The #Dolphins recently worked out former #Jaguars DT Roy Miller, per league source.

Armando Salguero @ArmandoSalguero·15m

The Dolphins on Tuesday worked out free agent DT Roy Miller, as @mike_e_kaye said. He's recovering from Achilles injury and was not signed.

So they are obviously looking for help before camp starts. What I don't get is there is another guy from the same team, NOT coming off a torn Achilles, who is an up-field penetrator who had 3.5 sacks last year as a reserve. Both came into the league in 2009 and both turned 30 this year. Marks has 19 career sacks, Miller has 8. Go figure.

Roy Miller has struggled with injuries throughout most of his NFL career and was seen as a disappointment before 2012. That turned out to be his breakout season, though, as he turned into an outstanding run defender in the Buccaneers' 4-3 Under front as a tilted nose tackle. His value is limited because he brings literally nothing as a pass rusher, which is why the Bucs let him go, but he's great if you're looking for a run defending tilted nose tackle.
- Bucsnation

As a rookie, Miller recorded two sacks as a promising 3-technique, but has developed into more of a run stopper since. In Bradley's defense, he will likely take on a similar role as a space-eater in the middle that can still play as a 3-tech.
bigcatcountry

Miller had 4 sacks two years ago. Marks had 8.5, three years ago.

Was curious about that myself, that could definitely come in handy.

In one of his early pressers he said not only can he kick inside, he also said very sternly that he cannot be moved backward. He's very confident in his ability to anchor. So yeah, count me as intrigued also...

I think Roy miller fits the scheme and unless I'm mistaken he's been a strong run defender. Although I would imagine that workout was more about seeing where he is in his achilles rehab than anything else.

For those who know these things...why haven't we brought Odrick back for at least a look see? Is he a scheme fit for what we're running?

Why is everybody so down on the two dts drafted. First most were so high on them in the draft, " i can't believe we got them both in the 5th and 6th, wow such an amazing draft." Now either coaches or media are down on them and you guys just follow suit like sheep, "I can't believe we relied on these guys for our dts", what a joke, form your own opinion, imagine that, wowww. It is also very annoying as mentioned above when coaches call things aggressive which really couldn't be any closer to as passive as can be, if the 15% blitz thing is true, that's just sad, I understand this defense has worked before but it seems so reliant on a few players bailing playing not to lose coaches out.

Sure hope gase's idea of "aggressive", like he said they were gonna be is a lot more downfield then we saw last year, he was very Philbin like early on. Not saying he is Philbin or Sparano, but they both said they were aggressive and were total jokes. He got better as the year went on but don't be surprised if we go sub .500 or 9-7 due to ultra safe coaching, most of these so called "aggressive" coaches only do so when they can't play ultra safe anymore and losing will cost them their jobs, I doubt if gase continued that 1-5 trend last year he would have still been here. You guys get way too ahead of yourselves, any coach that comes in here gets one winning season and all of a sudden he's shula 2.0, judge it year by year and pay attention to the good and the bad.

Gase has done a good job overall but the FO has definitely been terrible for a while, idk why anybody is surprised by them not fixing obvious holes that make us lose a lot of games, sometimes i think they only want the team to gradually improve each year in baby steps just so they can keep their jobs, but then again a lot of people are really stupid and tannenbaum is def that. This draft wasn't near as good as you guys thought it was, but "OMG A++++" lol, it was a decent draft but only because that draft was loaded, if it was a normal draft class, it would have been a terrible draft, we would have much less quality players than we got out of it, the quality we got was only because of the draft depth, not because it was a good job by our terrible FO, gase not included but I don't think he's the best at drafting players.

All of our present DT's project as 3 techniques in this defense. None of them project best as a 1 technique, even Jordan Phillips imo.

With Suh playing almost every snap, we don't need a stable of 3 techniques, what this defense desperately needs is an elite 1 tech DT. Dan Williams has been that guy a couple of his years in the league; a few other years he just plain stunk. If you have Williams, a former 1st rounder, in shape and healthy and fully motivated, you could have a game changer in run defense.....or you might end up wasting 4 mil on a lazy fat schlub.

I think it is a touch naive to expect much from our two rookies or Lawrence Okoye. Phillips may play well, but he won't be playing every snap.

The FO has been criminally negligent in their duties. How does any front office in today's NFL neglect the needed personnel for the trenches. If you don't win in the trenches and your QB and your LB's are mediocre, how will you win??

Instead of shoring up the lines with good or even potentially great young players, we just get Carooed.

This front office doesn't deserve praise, it deserves a punch in the nose.

The least they could have done was work harder to bring in a couple of veteran free agents that were more than band-aids like Ted Larsen and possibly Roy Miller or somebody worse. We had cap room, and we could have made moves to get more cap room, a lot more.

All of our present DT's project as 3 techniques in this defense. None of them project best as a 1 technique, even Jordan Phillips imo.

With Suh playing almost every snap, we don't need a stable of 3 techniques, what this defense desperately needs is an elite 1 tech DT.

Hmm. What exactly do you think is the 1 tech's job in our defense?

I thought Phillips looked better as a 1 tech in his college tape than what we've been having him do (2 gapping). This is his 3rd year in an NFL training program so I'm expecting a much stronger faster Phillips collapsing the pocket and redirecting runs.

And in fairness to the rookies, I don't know how anyone could assess their talent in gym shorts

Back
Top Bottom