Define Rebuilding. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Define Rebuilding.

Do you want the Fins to tank, rebuild or both?

• Tank and rebuild

Votes: 21 46.7%
  • Rebuild only

Votes: 25 55.6%

• Total voters

NBP81

Its what you know for sure... that just aint so...
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
There's alot of discussions about tanking/rebuilding lately around here. Seems to me that there are alot of different definitions around those terms. Im curious to know what YOU think those mean and how you would go about it?

About the poll: What would you like the team to do? you can chose both Tank and rebuild, you can click more than 1 anwser.

I posted this in another thread, this is how I view rebuilding:

The way I see it, when rebuilding,

you get rid(or trade if possible) of:
  • All overpaid players
  • Any veteran that can be replaced with a player on a rookie contract with similar results.
  • Any player over 30 who has trade value should be converted to draft assets, or players on rookie contracts.
You solidify your future core:

• players under 26 years old with elite potential should be extended for the long term, especially when they play: QB, DE, LT, CB.
All remaining players who dont fit any of those descriptions should then be evaluated on a case per case basis. But most of them will be average players on their second contract, so team fit and ability/willingness to learn should dictate the course of action in those cases...

As for tanking, its pretty simple, you're just trying to lose in order to get a QB.

Strip the team of bad contracts, even if you have to eat some dead cap. Trade older vets that can help another team win games and last but not least keep your young studs that play cornerstone spots

It’s not hard.

Trade who you can for picks.

Dump all of the big contracts.

Build through the draft.

Sometimes you have to trade your best player/players to become better in the future. JJ did this when he was hired at Dallas. Unfortunately we don’t have a monster player to trade like Walker in 89 but X would have some value.

Based on your definitions, I say rebuild only. As much as I want a legitimate QB, I don't support a team intentionally losing when the message we are trying to send is team first, and do your job.

Break the record for having the most draft picks. The odds that we'll hit on our normal 1 solid player may double.

Trade who you can for picks.
I agree in a general sense, but like I said in op, I think you keep essential building blocks, I would absolutely secure Tunsil and Howard long term. They are essentially what you are aiming for when trading for all those draft picks, it makes little sense to trade them for an opportunity to draft someone like them imo...

Having grown up with Dan Marino, I'm craving a good QB. Looking at our drafting, we aren't going to find a gem outside of the top of round 1. I've grown tired of the endless and pointless rebuilds to maintain our spot on the mediocrity treadmill. I want to be GREAT again, and that's not going to come by endless patch jobs.

I'm fully embracing the Tank for 2020 strategy. Let's get one of those great QB's and end this cycle of vomit. It's like each year we're saving our pennies to hold our Christmas party at a train station, while the Patriots are strolling through a ticker-tape parade every week on route to their nationally televised event of the century each year in a new celebratory stadium packed with people and watched by billions. Then an offseason filled with the echoes of their greatness and no mention of our train station celebration or broken mediocre season.

I'm just plain tired of it. I'm done accepting mediocrity. Go big or go home.

Rebuilding solely through the draft would take a while you dont get many starters from a draft, some vets will be needed.

Tanking can be hard to get out of because you are doing everything you shouldn't with your team.

A great quarterback is top priority. If Miami can get one without "tanking" that would be my priority. There's a developmental factor there as well. Miami needs to find the right one and with the new regime, I think they will be looking for smart and accurate above all else. Someone who sees things quickly on the field. If it's not in 2019, then 2020.

Most of the top quarterbacks are found in the first round. That is a fact. But it doesn't always have to be top five and there are enough examples of quarterbacks drafted after the first round to see that as an option as well.

To answer the original poster, I am in favor of rebuild. I think it makes sense to build the trenches before you get that quarterback. But if you "fall in love" with a qb from this draft make it happen. The position is obviously so important to the success of any franchise.

Tearing it down to the foundation. Build it up with quality materials unlike that dumbass pig who built a house out of hay. Check for asbestos or mold to make sure what you built last. If you have time maybe improve the foundations in the "southeast" corner.

i'm kinda torn between the two, i would tank to get a franchise QB in the draft but we need to fix both lines.. this year is deep on the Defensive side so i would try and recoup as many picks as i can by trading Jones,TJ, maybe RT. get what we can and draft the hell out of the Defense both line and LB's. next year draft heavy on Offence and maybe sprinkle some FA's on offence.
the fins need to do this right and build the foundation and then all the shiny parts around. i'm just tired of mediocre teams year after year... so if tanking will help then great but i also don't like losing so if the fins can win and rebuild at the same time then great but i know that's usually not the case. so which ever way as long as we become a major player in the NFL again im all for it... just get it done!!! i want my dolphins to be great again!!!

Based on your definitions, I say rebuild only. As much as I want a legitimate QB, I don't support a team intentionally losing when the message we are trying to send is team first, and do your job.

I think this is the biggest misconception on the site. Tanking is NOT an orchestrated way from the GM to head coach to the players to intentionally lose games. If we are lining up for a game winning field goal Flores is not going to instruct Sanders to miss it so we don't sacrifice draft status. This is the livelihood of Flores and the players they want to show as well as possible. What it means for the 2019 fins IMO is as others are saying, dump all vets that make too much money, let sentimental guys like Wake/Gore walk no need to have them on the team and don't spend big in FA. Just plug holes with bargain FA's if necessary.

It's very, very unlikely that the team will be good but It's not impossible if some guys exceed there projection that the team ends up being good. More than likely I think the site will end the year disappointed in the range of 5-11 - 7-9 instead of 0-16 - 4-12 that's why I think we should accumulate ammo to move up as well. We all know we need a QB, we can't screw it up by winning 2 many games. All of our eggs would be in one basket.

I think this is the biggest misconception on the site. Tanking is NOT an orchestrated way from the GM to head coach to the players to intentionally lose games. If we are lining up for a game winning field goal Flores is not going to instruct Sanders to miss it so we don't sacrifice draft status. This is the livelihood of Flores and the players they want to show as well as possible. What it means for the 2019 fins IMO is as others are saying, dump all vets that make too much money, let sentimental guys like Wake/Gore walk no need to have them on the team and don't spend big in FA. Just plug holes with bargain FA's if necessary.

It's very, very unlikely that the team will be good but It's not impossible if some guys exceed there projection that the team ends up being good. More than likely I think the site will end the year disappointed in the range of 5-11 - 7-9 instead of 0-16 - 4-12 that's why I think we should accumulate ammo to move up as well. We all know we need a QB, we can't screw it up by winning 2 many games. All of our eggs would be in one basket.

Agree. One of the biggest flaws last year was the OC/DC. If those are better, the entire team will be better. Not only will they not tell the players to miss a tackle, they'll be showing they are competent . . . showing some skill. If Miami gets a stud OG and CB in the draft, that will be worth a win or two. And guys like Taylor may play all 16. Tanking is fine, but, as you say, "it's not impossible if some guys exceed their projection." Even then, we won't know if tanking is a goal until April.

Back
Top Bottom