Demitre Patterson | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Demitre Patterson

So Be

Active Roster
Reaction score
There are mixed opinions of keeping, cutting, or re-negotiating Patterson on the forum. I did a little research which may change what some think

Patterson just turned 31, and in 2012, he played a combined 509 snaps (50%) with Cleveland and Miami with a 0.2 grade.

Last year, he played in 6 games and a total of 241 snaps. Game by game run down and grade in coverage from PFF.

Cleveland- 44 snaps and a 2.1 grade. Thrown at 5 times, with 2 complete for 16 yards and 2 picks.

Buffalo- 30 snaps and a 0.3 grade. Thrown at 3 times, 2 complete for 38 yards.

NE- 62 snaps and a 1.5 grade. Thrown at 5 times, 3 complete for 46 yards and 1 pick.

Cinci- 74 snaps and a 1.9 grade. Thrown at 14 times with 8 complete for 81 yards and 1 pick.

SD- 19 snaps and a 0.2 grade. thrown at 2 times with 1 complete for 11 yards.

Pitt- 12 snaps and a -0.9 grade. Thrown at 2 times with 2 complete for 27 yards and a TD ( the nly one he gave up).

I would throw out the SD and Pitt games if, as I recall, he was playing hurt is true, and he did nothing vs Buff.

IMO, that leaves us with 3 of 16 games to form an opinion on what to do. That's mot much, and he was nothing special in 2012. However, he did have 4 picks in those 3 games, and he may be a good fit for Coyle.

I don't remember haw good the picks were but, 2 were vs Weeden, not a VG QB. His best game was vs Cinci when he matched up on their #1 in AJ most of the game and held him in check with the one pick.

All things considered, I have to pass on keeping him but, would not be upset if he came back very cheap, like in the $2M one year deal range.

Demitre?

He can walk. He's hardly played the last 2 years. No sense in keeping an overpriced guy who spends so much time in the IR

He was a game changer when healthy. Make sure he's healthy and pay the man.

Hard question, when he's healthy, he's worth keeping. Kinda like Percy Harvin.

He was a game changer when healthy. Make sure he's healthy and pay the man.

He definitely was a game changer. With him and Grimes at corner that may have been our best tandem since Madison and Surtain.

But high priced and cann't stay healthy. Tough call.

PPF aside, they guy played well when healthy. If he's healthy, he will likely get starter money somewhere imo.

If Patterson is released (I seriously doubt he takes a voluntary pay cut), our next guy up is......Will Davis or Jamar Taylor? Nolan Caroll is a free agent, but even if you re-sign him, I don't want him being the starter on the perimeter for 16 games. That leaves free agency, and to get a starting caliber CB in free agency you will be looking at....surprise....$5 million a year. So, we can pay Patterson $5 million a year, or sign a FA CB for about the same....who in the FA class should we be targeting as an upgrade?

I don't trust him at all to be healthy is the thing.. I'd bring back Grimes and Carroll.

He's a play maker when healthy, but unfortunately that's not very often. I think it's time to see what Jamar Taylor and Will Davis can do. Hopefully, we resign Brent Grimes.

PPF aside, they guy played well when healthy. If he's healthy, he will likely get starter money somewhere imo.

If Patterson is released (I seriously doubt he takes a voluntary pay cut), our next guy up is......Will Davis or Jamar Taylor? Nolan Caroll is a free agent, but even if you re-sign him, I don't want him being the starter on the perimeter for 16 games. That leaves free agency, and to get a starting caliber CB in free agency you will be looking at....surprise....$5 million a year. So, we can pay Patterson $5 million a year, or sign a FA CB for about the same....who in the FA class should we be targeting as an upgrade?

Maybe try to keep him on the roster until we see what we're got as a replacement. i cringe when Caroll is the starter and opposing QB's drool.
He did play better last year but i hope he's not our long term solution opposite Grimes.
The rookies will not be rookies anymore and need to step up big time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe try to keep him on the roster until we see what we're got as a replacement. i cringe when Caroll is the starter and opposing QB's drool.
He did play better last year but i hope he's not our long tern solution opposite Grimes.
The rookies will not be rookies anymore and need to step up big time.

All I know is that this team gets worse if Patterson is released. That's the bottom line.

And if we sign Grimes to market value or tag him, we wont be able to afford any quality FA cornerbacks. We are in the business of acquiring talent, not cap space, so I think we should keep Patterson when considering the alternatives.

My biggest question is if DImitre is a great fit for what Coyle wants to do, and is that the reason we got him? There are not many guys in the NFL when the light goes on at the age of 31.

FWIW, the NFL grades on Patterson were about the same as PFF on the games I listed, as well as 2012.

They wanted to emphasize turnovers and the guy averages about one for every game played last year. He's exactly what Coyle wants if he healthy.
Between him and Grimes they had nine picks and few drops. The year before Jones at safety led the team.and Sean dropped WAY more than he ever held on to.

I think the big question is how well can Dimitri's groin heal? When healthy he looked good but we can't afford him if he cannot fully recover. I'd try to re-sign Grimes and Carroll first and monitor Patterson's recovery. Grimes made such a great contribution that we really need to lock him up. He was probably Ireland's best FA signing in his period in Miami.

Back
Top Bottom