Dennis Green Ready to Coach Again....Miami a Possibility? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dennis Green Ready to Coach Again....Miami a Possibility?

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
Alright I just want to apologize in advance I don't want this to turn into a lets blast Wannstedt forum or anything I'm very happy with the job Dave Wannstedt has done here and I'm not going to start saying "Hey lets replace him with....X"

But, this was recently written on Pro Football Talk.

DENNY READY TO RETURN

Word around the league is that former Vikings coach Dennis Green is very, very anxious to get back into the NFL, as evidenced by his upbeat enthusiasm during ESPN's draft coverage last month.

Green got a big severance package from Vikings owner Red McCombs when he resigned with one game left in the 2001 season. Since then, Green's name was mentioned in connection with vacancies in Dallas, Detroit, and San Francisco.

In Dallas, he received a perfunctory telephone interview. In Detroit, he declined to interview given the team's tunnel vision for Steve Mariucci. And in San Fran, he never got a sniff.

Many have presumed that Green eventually will take the reins in Atlanta, where his former agent, Ray Anderson, is a top executive. But news that the Falcons were considering hiring Steve Mariucci as a consultant for 2003 with the idea that he'd take over in 2004 for Dan Reeves (if not sooner) makes us wonder whether the Falcons really are looking at Green as the long-term solution.

Depending on the outcome of the 2003 season, possibilities could emerge in Chicago, Miami, Kansas City, Arizona, St. Louis, or Seattle.

I guess it just didn't occur to us, but yeah Wanny is kind of on the hot seat this season and I absolutely guarantee that if we pull another 9-7 with no playoffs, Wannstedt is GONE. I personally do not think this will happen, I can't even really imagine us missing the playoffs this year in fact I think we're hitting the AFC Championship game AT LEAST, but...

Would ya'll have a problem with Dennis Green? I got no problems with the whole black coach thing but Denny's been so vocal and sometimes annoying about it that I wouldn't mind sending him a message by skipping over him and going straight for Tyrone Willingham now that would be frickin funny. I think Norv Turner should be a coordinator not a head coach and I can't say I would back him as our HC candidate. If this did happen one thing I would want is for Rick Spielman to stay on and be our full powered GM.

I have one question. Has Dennis Green succeeded with any team he has coached?

Well in 1998 with the Vikings he did direct the NFL's highest scoring offense ever and got to the NFC Championship game, where they lost because Gary Anderson, who was PERFECT for the year hadn't missed a single FG, missed a fairly easy one in the championship game. Morten Anderson faired better.

Basically I remember until recently there was a running tally, Miami and Minnesota were the two teams that had been to the playoffs in like each of the past 4 or 5 years or something like that.

Green actually did pretty well in Minnesota, they were good under him. Offense was always top notch, defense a little suspect at times he never settled on a good D-Coordinator I don't think. For the D reasons alone I'm not sure I'd entrust him with full GM powers, I would rather trust Rick Spielman with that.

If Wanny F's up this year..

You all know I've been hyping Denny up from other posts..

Keep in mind I'm not advocating a Wannstedt replacement here, its just that PFT came out with this story and it made me realize that Denny Green could be a real possibility if we don't achieve great results this year. This is all highly speculative and not really a knock on Wanny so much as just being bored and discussing who we wouldn't mind as our head coach.

I've never seen you hype Denny Green.

True, Green has had some teams that were halfway good. Like you mention the Vikes and how tight the offense was, but again he put to much emphasis(sp) on only one side of the ball.

Thats what I dont like about him. Hey, maybe we could get David Shula! lol

I would take Wilingham(sp?) over Green, but my first choice would be Stoops. Well, first choice behind Miami winning it all and Wanny keeping his job.

Green is a good coach who did well in Minnesota. However, I think we will (and should) go into the college ranks for a new coach. I would LOVE to have Tyrone Willingham as the coach of the Dolphins. Bob Stoops would be Huizenga's top choice and he would be good as well. However, before we discuss coaches, we have to wait and see what happens in the upcoming season.

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
Green is a good coach who did well in Minnesota. However, I think we will (and should) go into the college ranks for a new coach. I would LOVE to have Tyrone Willingham as the coach of the Dolphins. Bob Stoops would be Huizenga's top choice and he would be good as well. However, before we discuss coaches, we have to wait and see what happens in the upcoming season.

Yeah, let`s not put the cart before the horse.

Say no to Denny Green. He had some success in Minny, but never actually WON anything. Stoops has, Tressler has, and these two or Willingham are my top 3 choices. Give a hungry college guy a chance. Besides, we are a defensive team and that's where the talent is. Stoops is a defensive mind as is Tressler(am I spelling his name right? The Ohio State coach)Not sure what Willingham is(Off or def),but everything I have read about him says he knows how to maximize talent like nobody else. THAT'S the kind of coach we need with the talent we have. And, as has been said, KEEP SPIELMAN! Dennis Green would probably want complete control, and that's a difficult thing to do well. Keep coach separate from GM.

I'm not too crazy about Green. He's been a good coach for a long time. But he lost the locker room in Minnesota. And he's not a noted disciplinarian. I would much prefer Tyrone Willingham: a guy who's a strict disciplinarian and a strong motivator/leader.

Bob Stoops wouldn't be bad either. He's a defensive guru and an energetic guy.

Originally posted by ckparrothead

I've never seen you hype Denny Green.

Whatever posts there has been about Wanny blowing it this year and he's done..

I hyped Green..

Back
Top Bottom