Dennis Hickey interviews for GM | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dennis Hickey interviews for GM

Big O is a straight shooter and one of the biggest Dolphin fans around. He tells it like it is, which is refreshing.
Decosta wasn't coming
Gamble left a better job to be in philly
The Seattle guy ( forgot his name) also in a great spot

So like usual Big O is full of ****. He is the voice of the self loathers.

As the search gets drawn out, it looks like they do not know what direction they want to go in. Also, if they interview Ray Farmer 10 days ago or more and come back to him, it will perceived that they "settled" on him. If they think he is the guy or Xanders, be confident in your gut feeling and hire him. Have confidence in selection and have no regrets.

Now, if they do not like the guys they have interviewed, so be it. However, we do not have any inkling that is the case.

Big O said his NFL sources told him that the Dolphins are a mess and that is why they're having trouble hiring a decent GM.

IMO, here is how you know the Fins are a mess. If they offer the job to one of the guys they interviewed and he declines. That shows a mess.

It would be frustrating if we heard later on that DeCosta and Gamble would have come if they were allowed to clean house. That would warrant a ton of criticism at Ross.

---------- Post added at 08:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 AM ----------

However, as I said earlier this week, the Dolphins post Shula have won so many big hires…Jimmy, Saban and Tuna. They were praised up and down….they failed or at the very least came in well below expectations. Maybe here we get a talented guy that develops into a star.

Tampa actually has a lot of talent. Way more than us, in fact. The only reason they were terrible this season was Schiano.

It was because they started out the season with a bust QB. then they changed right when they play the dolphins.

As the search gets drawn out, it looks like they do not know what direction they want to go in. Also, if they interview Ray Farmer 10 days ago or more and come back to him, it will perceived that they "settled" on him. If they think he is the guy or Xanders, be confident in your gut feeling and hire him. Have confidence in selection and have no regrets.

Now, if they do not like the guys they have interviewed, so be it. However, we do not have any inkling that is the case.

Ray Farmer interviewed on the second day of the search, if they hired him then, I am pretty sure many(likely including yourself) would complain that the Dolphins rushed their choice.

Tampa actually has a lot of talent. Way more than us, in fact. The only reason they were terrible this season was Schiano.

Actually the reason they were terrible was Josh Freeman and the lack of a real QB.

So yea, they are a lot like us.

Florio's latest swipe at the Dolphins:
Dennis Hickey reportedly “hit one out of the park” during his interview for Dolphins G.M. (Possible translation: He said he’ll take the job if it’s offered.)

Tampa has drafted very well over the past number of years and done pretty well in FA.

If Hickey was more involved in that than Dominik, then I think he deserves serious consideration. What I like about Tamps's drafts is that they have a knack for the really gifted guys. They swing and miss their share too, but I'd prefer that for the Fins than a consistent level of mediocrity.

Tampa are a mess because of bad coaching. Morris and Schiano were disasters. They also overly relied on Freeman, obviously.

Actually the reason they were terrible was Josh Freeman and the lack of a real QB.

So yea, they are a lot like us.

Except it's the inverse. We have a real QB and almost no talent around him. Also, I really can't undersell how terrible of a coach Schiano was. He was basically Tony Sparano on steroids.

having done a little research on Hickey, I'm not against him. Doesn't mean he's my favorite candidate out there. But he's worked his way up in Tampa.

I don't like his name.

"Hickey is a common surname of Irish origin. The original form is Ó hÍceadha, which is still used in Ireland."

Can't we get away from all things "ireland" ?

Ray Farmer interviewed on the second day of the search, if they hired him then, I am pretty sure many(likely including yourself) would complain that the Dolphins rushed their choice.

You are right. Two days is too short of a time frame, but at the same time the search we have going on right now is too long with no end in sight. It is poorly handled.

You are right. Two days is too short of a time frame, but at the same time the search we have going on right now is too long with no end in sight. It is poorly handled.

How would you know if there is an end in sight or not?
t really doesn't matter if we can see the end or not.

As to it's handling neither you, I, or Armando has any idea if its being done poorly or not.

It's all good, so long as it doesn't become a ridiculously drawn out exercise that would suggest to interested prospective GMs that Ross and company don't know what they're looking for.

I would argue that we have already passed that point. From where I am sitting it appears that the best candidates are making it clear that they won't accept the job given Ross's proposed power sharing structure. And frankly, they shouldn't. A general manager has ultimate responsibility for how the team performs on the field. They should have commensurate control over the personnel required to be a success in the position. To accept any other arrangement is to raise the risk of failure. Anyone who is a leading candidate for this position will know that they at some point in the future be offered a job with a traditional power structure. It is not to their advantage to take a job where the owner handcuffs them so they can not succeed.

Back
Top Bottom