Deon Dyer Still Overweight....gadsden Is Waiting On Jax... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Deon Dyer Still Overweight....gadsden Is Waiting On Jax...

Thanks DCH

sad to hear about Dyer - there is no excuse for his behavior for what he gets paid. Rob could get hurt tomorrow - I hope not - and he w/b the starter, so he needs his fat behind in shape to compete for that spot.

I w/b disappointed if we sign OG at this point since we would just be adding another vet as insurance that we do not need now. We would have CC as a RFA, McK an UFA and OG an UFA after the season and would lose whomever was the young guy, i.e Newson, who would have made the team. To me I want Thompson or OG, not both; and I would prefer Thompson on paper and based on health.

Originally posted by DIRTYCASHHOLDIN
The latest news on GADSDEN.... Apparantly at a recent fishing celebrity fund-raising tournament last week.....GADSDEN told good buddy...SAM MADISON...who then told Channel 6 sportscaster...JOE ROSE.....that he plans on ending it all....by the end of this week... DCH

Yikes. I thought for the briefest second that OG had become suicidial!

Originally posted by DIRTYCASHHOLDIN

I think ORONDE GADSDEN needs the MIAMI DOLPHINS more than the MIAMI DOLPHINS need ORONDE GADSDEN....and you don't need SEAU's permission to use that kind of analogy...

A steal for the league minimum....and the DOlphins are once again...like GRIESE....a better team than they were yesterday...

DCH

First great post.

Secondly, someone please tell me why OG is still on the radar screen? If he signs a one year deal and dings his pinky finger and its either surgery or playing through, would you trust this guy?

Personally, I would let him sit on the unemployment line.

I am confused. re: this analysis from NYF Cat, on the FB position.

) Backup FB.
Contestants: Deon Dyer and Obamefi Anaybadejo
Edge: Dyer

The notion that a FB's top priority is blocking was thrown out the window upon Norv Turner's arrival, who prefers versatile, receiving types. Had Chan Gailey opted to remain a career-long coordinator, the FB job would probably be Dyer's right now. Though I am thrilled the Dolphins re-tained Konrad for a settlement-type-price (4 years, 4 million), watching #33 smash MLB's at the point of attack wouldn't have been a bad consolation prize. Dyer has already dropped 10 pounds to help his speed; if he continues to lose weight, he'll beat out Ayanbadejo for the second straight year.

I don't have any idea of this poster's credentials, but he posted a comprehensive analysis of every position on the Phins squad.

http://www.thefinforum.com/SiteContent/Columnists/NYF.asp

So, is Dyer overweight or not?

Originally posted by Da 'Fins

It's one of those deals that happens to players all the time. They lose motivation, get out of shape, don't work as hard as they need to, then reality hits and they are traded or released - then they work their butts off on the next team they play for (whether it be the team they return to, or a new one). This happened with Norman Hand, for example - look at what he's done since he left Miami and decided to work hard and get in shape. Same thing with Jamie Nails (let go by the Bills and the 'Fins, then gets in shape and plays great). Some times the best motivator is getting a taste of failure.

I agree.

To add to this, Dyer doesn't catch that good. Remember what Norv wants out of his fullbacks? They need to be able to catch the football.
I think that this is another reason why Dyer feels disinterested in giving 100%. He probably feels alienated and wants to be cut.

rgds!

I think you guys are forgetting something. Yeah, maybe Deon is disappointed in Konrad re-signing. But I don't think it's the only reason for being out of shape. I don't buy it because, as DCH mentioned, this is the THIRD CONSECUTIVE YEAR he's come in overweight. So if he's got motivation problems, he's had them since 2001. And it's not good news when the hand-picked guy you barely beat out last year, even though he made more plays, is back bigger and stronger and showing the coaches that he wants it bad.

Heck, the only reason Dyer was re-signed was because we didn't know if Konrad was coming back. If he didn't know that, then he's the only one.

Also, Van is correct. Hand was traded to Seattle because he and Grady Jackson were both grossly overweight. And he makes more money than Jackson. Still, Jackson was also nearly cut and has since lost his starting job. Hand also has to beat out John Eaton for a starting job next to John Randle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by rafael
If OG does come back it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't make the final roster.

I wonder if Dyer will be picked up by anybody if he doesn't make the final roster. Was Femi on anybody's regular season roster last year?

I have to agree that with all the "rumored" young talent especially J.R. Tolver and this Europe kid Newson that OG isn't a favorite to make the team at all.

As for Dyer I remember him expressing a strong desire to be the starter in the media last year and how dissapointed he was. I wonder if this isn't a move by him to force the Fins into dumping him. I kinda get the feeling that is what he is doing. Just a theory though.

Are you sure he meant third consecutive year Muck? I read it as he missed his weight for the third consecutive weigh in. Like every month or something.

Perhaps I read it wrong?

I remember Obamefi giving Dyer trouble last TC, but Obamefi signed late and didn't really have a lot of time to show the coaches what he could do..this year he's been here since mini camps, and I think he'll give Norv what he wants out of a FB..the versatility of blocking and catching, which may spell the end of Dyer...I love Dyers blocking ability also, but when he's in, it a big pointer to we're going to run..Obamefi is like haven't Konrad back there, keep the D off balance as to what we will do..and I don't understand why he's coming in overweight again..even for his kind of money, it seems he would take this a little more serious.

Originally posted by Phinstd
Are you sure he meant third consecutive year Muck? I read it as he missed his weight for the third consecutive weigh in. Like every month or something.

Perhaps I read it wrong?

Good point. That could very well be the case. That's probably more accurate than my interpretation.

DCH thanks again. I love reading your fixes. Sad to hear about Dyer, hopefully he can get back to his old standards. Great news on OG...I want him back he will make this team better.

I agree there is possible young talent on this team, but I would still offer OG a minimum contract to play. this is primarily because he's a proven commodity - he can make plays, and was somewhat of a safety blanket for Fiedler. If he gets outplayed for a roster spot, that's great - and good for the team. But if the Young Talent finds itself struggling when the pads come on, or if the Rookie crop hits the wall in late November when we need them to perform, I'd be a little more comfortable with the possibility of OG on the field again.

Last year Femi piqued the coaches' interest so much Dave Wannstedt went on public record saying he thinks they could keep 6 RBs but he's not sure what the make-up will be, it could well be 3 fullbacks and 3 tailbacks. In the end they decided to try and get away with 5 runningbacks, which they got away with until 3/4ths of the way into the season Arizona had RB troubles so they made an offer to Leonard Henry off the practice squad so we had to bring him up to the 53 man roster.

I think Carolina would gladly give Dyer a shot if he was ousted from Miami. He went to college in North Carolina.

I'm torn by the news that Oronde's return seems imminent. On the one hand, I know OG would make a pretty good role player, he's a popular guy on the team, and if you line him up in the redzone he's going to be effective. On the other hand, I'm not sure how the coaches, players, and OG himself are going to react to his return in terms of where he is in the lineup. Keep in mind that Norv really does not shift WRs on and off the field in various situations or depending on various matchups. He tends to want to find his two starters, then stick with them and sometimes utilize a slot receiver. I'm fairly confident that based on salary numbers alone Derrius Thompson will always stay ahead of OG on the depth chart (unless by some odd occurrence Derrius just stumbles all over himself or something but he has looked real good so far), but I'm wondering how the team and how OG will take it now to look at that depth chart and see not only Derrius Thompson ahead of him (the dude they signed to replace him), but also James McKnight ahead of him (the dude that was behind OG on the depth chart a year ago).

Also, we've got a lot of young guys in Sam Simmons, Kendall Newson, Robert Baker, JR Tolver, and Chris Jackson...and honestly I would like to roster two of those guys, not one. Signing OG back, could mean that Tolver is the only one of those guys kept.

Isn't it interesting that we potentially have a problem of TOO MUCH depth at WR? Yes, I know, McKnight, Thompson and the rookies haven't established themselves, blah blah blah. Still, there is a lot of talent there.

Back
Top Bottom