Depth at DT is now a concern | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Depth at DT is now a concern

What about picking up another FA DT. John Parrella, Ellis Johnson, Eric Downing, and Norman Hand could all be a possible addition. Has Saban been looking into any of these guys?

DT's will be vastly improved over last year if guys can stay healthy. DT Traylor & Carter are much better than an injured T. Bowens & Robinson. Getting Chester back would be an excellent bonus. Add DE Holliday & DE Roth for DE Williams, and entire DL much better.

DE D. Bowens, Holliday
DT Carter, Zgonina
DT Traylor , Romero, Vickerson
DE Taylor, Roth

Put DE Bowens starting because if he's not and Chester comes back by opening day, think it's very likely Bowens will be cut. Bowens could be cut anyway if DE Roth really impresses during pre-season.
DT Chester will be probably be PUP. If Chester comes back, Vickerson moved to practice squad or Romero/Zgonina/Bowens cut if Vickerson's good enough.

See us playing even less 3-4 than expected if Chester doesn't come back. He's the only really big run stuffer similar to Traylor. 3-4 NT's take more of a beating than 4-3 DT's and think Saban will want to lessen the risk to 35 year old Traylor's health if Chester's not available.

Eshlemon said:
DT's will be vastly improved over last year if guys can stay healthy. DT Traylor & Carter are much better than an injured T. Bowens & Robinson. Getting Chester back would be an excellent bonus. Add DE Holliday & DE Roth for DE Williams, and entire DL much better.

DE D. Bowens, Holliday
DT Carter, Zgonina
DT Traylor , Romero, Vickerson
DE Taylor, Roth

Put DE Bowens starting because if he's not and Chester comes back by opening day, think it's very likely Bowens will be cut. Bowens could be cut anyway if DE Roth really impresses during pre-season.
DT Chester will be probably be PUP. If Chester comes back, Vickerson moved to practice squad or Romero/Zgonina/Bowens cut if Vickerson's good enough.

See us playing even less 3-4 than expected if Chester doesn't come back. He's the only really big run stuffer similar to Traylor. 3-4 NT's take more of a beating than 4-3 DT's and think Saban will want to lessen the risk to 35 year old Traylor's health if Chester's not available.

Unless Miami needs the cap room, Bowens will not be cut.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
Unless Miami needs the cap room, Bowens will not be cut.

There are many reasons cap room will be needed such as the Ricky situation, signing McMichael, or filling injury needs at other positions. Don't want Bowens to go but very likely any/all those 3 could happen. Bowens current contract (last year, 1.9 cap savings) and depth at DE make this a highly probable cut if he's not starting.

PASQUALE said:
With TimBo's retirement we now have a void on the d-line. We have Keith Traylor #94 LDT, Jeff Zgonina #92 RDT, Dario Romero #97 LDT, and Larry Chester #64 RDT (who I feel will not be ready with his back problems as well). My question is this do we use Kevin Carter #93 as a permanent DT or do we go with Traylor and Zgonina? I would rather have Traylor and Carter in the middle. What do guys think?

This does not bode well for our team. I think they should do some investigating and get us a solid DT before we get into training camp to put into our rotation. I do not want see us get run on up the middle for a ton of yards like last year. What do they do now?

Actually, Traylor could be considered Bowens replacement. Carter can play inside with Traylor in our base D and Chester, if healthy, could be the rotational guy. If Chester comes back healthy, then he could replace Carter on the inside and we'd have Carter as the LDE with JT on the right...In the times we play the 3-4, Traylor would be the middle guy although Chester can handle it too.

So, I don't think we are too bad for this year barring injury to Traylor and Chester being, at least, somewhat healthy enough to play 15-20 snaps a game. I'd like to see a young stud in the middle to develop, but it may have to wait until next year. I am not sold on Wright from USC. He was a backup, not a starter, but if we got him in the 4th round or later of the supplemental...fine...

BTW..Chester doesn't have back issues, he has a knee issue...

unless some good dt gets cut out there, this is what we're working with.

chester should retire
then our d-line should look like
LE-taylor/roth
DT-carter/romero
DT-traylor/vickerson/holliday
RE-holliday/roth

patswho? said:
chester should retire

Talk about an ultimate fantasy of mine. I guess I'd prefer 5 minutes with some of these avatar gals to the news Chester retired, but not without a few seconds thought.

If we're going to worry, no sense in making it less than bigtime worry. Dump Chester and Zgonina.

Back
Top Bottom