Derek Jeter is the most overrated player according to his peers | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Derek Jeter is the most overrated player according to his peers

dob72

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
ay 3, 2006 -- BOSTON - Derek Jeter smiled at the news that his peers named him the most over-rated player in the big leagues.

In a Sports Illustrated poll of 470 players, Jeter was named on 9 percent of the ballots as the most over-rated. Mets center fielder Carlos Beltran was second with 7 percent and Alex Rodriguez was third with 6 percent.

"I don't care, I guess anything I do now is a plus," Jeter said with a grin. "At least I am in good company.'''

Joe Torre was surprised about Jeter being on top.

"Alex doesn't surprise me because there is a lot of jealousy about the money he makes and his talent, but to say Derek is over-rated, that is surprising," Torre said. "I have had players traded here and after six weeks they come to me and say, 'I knew Jeter was a good player but I didn't know how good.'"

Rodriguez refused comment.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/65446.htm

well, i guess his own peers agree with me.

as i sat in LF of Tropicana field, with a friend who also hates the yankees as much as me, last night, we started a conversation about Jeter, 2 or 3 years ago, we always, ALWAYS said he was the most overrated and overpaid player in the league. Weird thing, when our conversation ended, we both came to the conclusion that we both had changed our perspective on him. Whose the most overrated player? How about someone like Chipper Jones or Garret Anderson...

I don't think that Jeter is the most overrated player in baseball, he's not an elite power SS like Tejada or the kind of player Jhonny Peralta is developing into, but he's an excellent player who takes his game to another level in bigtime situations. He's clearly one of the best SS's in baseball.

Arod is not overrated, that ridiculous. Look at the numbers he puts up, production wise he's easily one of the top 5 players in baseball... that should end any conversation of him being overrated. My defintion of overrated is when reputation (or name) exceeds production. A-Rod might not be a winner, but that's a completely differrent discussion.

Now if we're talking overrated, I think the players nailed it when it comes to Carlos Beltran. In 2004, he had an amazing playoffs for the Houston Astros.. those 2 weeks basically earned him the mega-deal from the Mets. Clearly, he's not as good as he showed that October, he simply got hot at the right time. In reality, he's a .270-.280 hitter with average power. Granted, he's excellent defensively and has plus speed. However, the contract the Mets gave for that type of production is absurd.

FaninPatsyLand said:
but he's an excellent player who takes his game to another level in bigtime situations. He's clearly one of the best SS's in baseball..

no hes not, an espn insider article bout him was really good and it showed that he has 1 career game winning hit. and his postseaon average, OBP, and slugging is below his regular season averages

Finfan86 said:
no hes not, an espn insider article bout him was really good and it showed that he has 1 career game winning hit. and his postseaon average, OBP, and slugging is below his regular season averages

:rolleyes2

post numbers and such. but if youve ever watched him play in the playoffs you wouldnt be saying things like that.

Derek Jeter is an great shortstop and a great hitter...but he shines in the playoffs...in the playoffs he is almost guaranteed to be on base and to get a hit when needed. Of course he is on a great team and that helps a lot, but I would rather have someone who excels in the playoffs rather than be great all season and then choke when we're in there...that's what you play the whole season for.

This is the problem with people nowadays, their all about the numbers. Jeter is one of the few who hustles every play, plays more then above average defense, runs the bases great, gives his team 200 hits, leads by example, and is willing to do things like lay down a sacrafice for the better of his team. I wonder if half the players who were polled even know how to bunt. This poll sounds like a bunch of jealous players mad that Jeter makes more a game then they make a month. This poll is about jealousy. The same poll taken by SI last year got Jeter voted the best shortstop in the game. Go figure!

Saban in '06 said:
Derek Jeter is an great shortstop and a great hitter...but he shines in the playoffs...in the playoffs he is almost guaranteed to be on base and to get a hit when needed. Of course he is on a great team and that helps a lot, but I would rather have someone who excels in the playoffs rather than be great all season and then choke when we're in there...that's what you play the whole season for.

lol.. he said "great team" and used yankee connotation in the same sentence..THat's rich.

Also, Jeter is a huge Fan favorite in NY and I think sometimes that gets coupled in with a player being diagnosed as "overrated" when it actuality they are two completely different titles. :2c:

FiN.in.RI said:
lol.. he said "great team" and used yankee connotation in the same sentence..THat's rich.

Oh come one....you're not one of those homers who think the Yankees suck and the Red Sox are great even though they're currently tied for first and they're in the playoffs every year? I think the Yanks-Sox is the greatest rivalry in baseball and it would be dissapointing if BOTH of those teams weren't great!

I think this is the same poll that called him the most UNDERRATED last year right?

how is he overrated? no one is calling him the best SS in the game...

Back
Top Bottom