Derrius Thompson Comments | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Derrius Thompson Comments

phinphan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Originally posted by phinphan
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/auto/epaper/editions/friday/sports_f316f3f1239d02cf0030.html?urac=n&urvf=10633718631320.541070960642727

"I just have to stay relaxed and let the game come to me. That's the main thing," Thompson said. "When I get my chances I have to make plays. That's how it goes."

Just as long as he doesn't wait for the ball to come to him. I'd like to see Thompson be a little more aggressive in his persuit of the football. Take the football, don't wait for it.

You're exactly right phin. Let the game come to him? I saw way too much of that on Sunday. Attack the ball, use that big body, and gawddammit, drag your fricken' feet near the sideline. Stay relaxed, my a$$.

Derrius still has a bit of a following in D.C. The man has all the talent in the world, and showed it in tantalizing flashes throughout his time here. For whatever reason, he just never quite was able to put it all together on a consistent basis. His stay here was tough ... coaching and system changes, no consistency at QB, on OL that hasn't given said QB's much time, etc. THen got caught up in a numbers crunch. I was glad he got a shot at real playing time somewhere else.

We heard some rumblings in preseason about how good he looked. I'll be watching him this weekend against the Jets. Hope to see the confidence and aggressiveness I've seen in flashes start to show on a down-to-down basis.

Originally posted by -Om-
Derrius still has a bit of a following in D.C. The man has all the talent in the world, and showed it in tantalizing flashes throughout his time here. For whatever reason, he just never quite was able to put it all together on a consistent basis. His stay here was tough ... coaching and system changes, no consistency at QB, on OL that hasn't given said QB's much time, etc. THen got caught up in a numbers crunch. I was glad he got a shot at real playing time somewhere else.

We heard some rumblings in preseason about how good he looked. I'll be watching him this weekend against the Jets. Hope to see the confidence and aggressiveness I've seen in flashes start to show on a down-to-down basis.

I followed some of the reports on Derrius before he got here. You back up exactly what I consistently heard about him ie, huge talent, just hasn't put it together. Indeed, after actually producing very little, he seemed to linger on the Skins roster based on talent alone. Basically, Derrius was a one man highlight reel in training camp, producing play after play.

I honestly think that this is the perfect situation for Derrius to finally become the reciever that he can be. Or rather, if he can't make it here, now, then I don't see him ever living up to his billing.

Just a quick question, was Thompson agressive in going after/coming back to the football in Washington, or was he a little too passive??

The bottom line with Thompson, as I stated here when he was signed is that unlike a lot of people who wanted to crown him as the second coming of Paul Warfield - he cannot get seperation and this is because of his lack of pace. He simply cannot get off the line of scrimmage and he may have great hands but unless you have a seamstress at QB threading the needle, then his receptions are going to be limited.

Originally posted by Boomer
The bottom line with Thompson, as I stated here when he was signed is that unlike a lot of people who wanted to crown him as the second coming of Paul Warfield - he cannot get seperation and this is because of his lack of pace. He simply cannot get off the line of scrimmage and he may have great hands but unless you have a seamstress at QB threading the needle, then his receptions are going to be limited.

I dunno Boom, he appeared to have good seperation this last Sunday. He just out right dropped several easy catches.

Oliver...

Maybe I got it wrong Olly - maybe he has great seperation and cak hands :)

He just strikes me as a training camp Hall of Famer.

Originally posted by Boomer
Maybe I got it wrong Olly - maybe he has great seperation and cak hands :)

He just strikes me as a training camp Hall of Famer.

In no way was it GREAT seperation, but he had 3-4 yards of seperation regularly from what I could tell. I can't believe how many for sure catches he dropped this past game.

He definetly had cak hands this past Sunday. When he wasn't dropping passes Jay was over throwing or under throwing passes. This passing attack had better get their act together and quick.

Oliver...

DT isn't talking about letting the ball come to him. He is talking about letting the flow of the game come to him. Its an expression that is used more in basketball than football. But in this case it maybe valid as DT looked too uptight last week.

The man didn't get much playing time here, at least not in games that counted. The lingering impression I have is of a guy who would grab your attention with a couple of tough catches in traffic, then drop an easy one. And who would disappear for long stretches. It always struck me that he COULD get separation, and he COULD make the impossible catch, but that he just didn't seem to have the WANNA to make it happen with any consistency.

His mind seemed to wander when he was out there. If he's now talking about "letting the game come to him," that concerns me. He always struck me as a guy who just flat doesn't know how good he could be if he would attack the game more, rather than just coast through it.

Guys like that have always frustrated me more than even the guys who are good, play like it, but whoof too much. I used to talk to Derrius (I have one of those special TV's that actually allow guys on screen to hear me :) ) all the time, and try to metaphorically kick his *** and light a bonfire under it.

"GO AFTER IT!" I'd implore. "You could be DOMINANT, man."

But of course, being busy dodging safeties and rounding off routes and such, he'd never answer.

But I could hear him thinking, "nah ... think I'll just wait for the next ball to come my way. Or whatever."

Im not worried about thompson, if he take s a while to get going good, i see that as a good thing. people will start double teaming chambers starting this weekend.

Yeah DT will need to step up his game, but i hope they dont bench him even though Wannstedt said he wont bench him..

Originally posted by phinphan

"I just have to stay relaxed and let the game come to me. That's the main thing," Thompson said. "When I get my chances I have to make plays. That's how it goes."

He said that same exact thing on March 7th when he was signed.. :sleep:

DT will step it up soon...he is doing better than McKnight...McKnight did squat against the NBs.

Peanut, I have question for ya. chambersownzs84 is a longgg name, what happened to Peanut anyway? Back to topic, I feel that Thompson will compliment Chambers yet. Some people have given up on him already, but he will do right yet. Here's what I think if the negativity floating around. Alot of the expectations going into the year were huge for this team, and after only one game, they're out of the playoff picture? Give me a break men! It's just started.

Back
Top Bottom