Despite season-ending injury, Dolphins should draft Tua Tagovailoa | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Despite season-ending injury, Dolphins should draft Tua Tagovailoa

houtz

"guess who's back, back again"
Club Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I wrote what I believe to be a fairly good article on why the Dolphins should draft Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa despite the injury.

The full article can be found HERE.

Why pass on Tua in a draft where Miami currently has THREE first-round draft picks? In fact, most draft picks are nothing more than a gamble anyway, so why not gamble on one of the more talented players at the most important position in football?

In a strange way, the injury might have actually helped the Dolphins’ chances of landing Tagovailoa. Because prior to the injury, many believed he was a surefire top-5 draft pick. A player that if Miami wants to get, they would need to move heaven and earth to do so. Now, they can win a few more games in 2020 and select the Alabama QB with the first of their day one draft picks.

Agree? Disagree?

P.s

If I can’t post this type of content, I’m sorry.

I’d draft him...with a 5th round pick. Don’t get me wrong, he has all of the talent in the world but he is a china doll. Tua’s body has failed him much like RG3, well even worse. He is getting run down by interior Dline and has been injured every year. He won’t survive the NFL.

I agree 100% we should still draft Tua assuming his surgery went well, and he is projected for a full recovery.

Everything I've read about the injury, the procedure, and the results are encouraging.

Fools gold for a premium pick -- and the kid has a long way to go with the recovery
phase with NOTHING guaranteed. I'm like 1000% sure teams are going to investigate
the surgery extensively in terms of what degree of fracture(s) and how extensive the
rebuild etc. But obviously the hype is going to continue and some are just going to
ignore the multiple injuries -- while others see damaged goods...

Hey guys.

I wrote what I believe to be a fairly good article on why the Dolphins should draft Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa despite the injury.

Agree? Disagree?

P.s

I'd take a flyer on him with the Houston pick. Not our early pick though. If it's a rebuilding year and the medicals come back 101%, snatch him up.

Hey guys.

Agree? Disagree?

P.s

I have to disagree Josh....unless you mean outside round one?

3 surgeries in 24 college games?...I don’t think this kid can withstand the NFL pounding.....

I could be on board with Burrow, Herbert or Love in round one...and coming back with Tua at 33 or later... but not round one.

I agree 100% we should still draft Tua assuming his surgery went well, and he is projected for a full recovery.

Everything I've read about the injury, the procedure, and the results are encouraging.

Not really...Dennis Pitta is a good Comp for his injury...and he was never the same or durable.

But obviously the hype is going to continue and some are just going to
ignore the multiple injuries -- while others see damaged goods...

The Chase Young mindset is fool's gold. I don't care if he turns out to be a great player or not. If you keep swinging at that type you'll get nowhere. So-called damaged goods with difference-making ability like Tua is a superior perspective and plan.

How many things have to go right for a franchise, if you draft a Chase Young and then wait for 2021? Are we on the 76-3 plan? That's basically what it would take in terms of successful decision making. I don't remember that level of astuteness from the Dolphins lately. More like struggling to find 50/50 in terms of competent thought process.

Tua may never play an NFL game. If you connect on him then all of a sudden you are well up the ladder even if you hit 40% of your supplemental decisions.

Some posters grasp that and others want to move this chess piece and that chess piece, never emerging from the last game in the relegated corner.

The Chase Young mindset is fool's gold. I don't care if he turns out to be a great player or not. If you keep swinging at that type you'll get nowhere. So-called damaged goods with difference-making ability like Tua is a superior perspective and plan.

How many things have to go right for a franchise, if you draft a Chase Young and then wait for 2021? Are we on the 76-3 plan? That's basically what it would take in terms of successful decision making. I don't remember that level of astuteness from the Dolphins lately. More like struggling to find 50/50 in terms of competent thought process.

Tua may never play an NFL game. If you connect on him then all of a sudden you are well up the ladder even if you hit 40% of your supplemental decisions.

Some posters grasp that and others want to move this chess piece and that chess piece, never emerging from the last game in the relegated corner.

Sadly a lot of GM's are like this, too, but on forums and social media, most people are more worried about not being wrong than extracting maximum value.

Hey guys.

Agree? Disagree?

P.s

Thanks Josh. Just want to say, I've been following you on twitter and enjoy the content you provide Us Dolphins Fans with. Thanks for being a part of Finheaven as well. As to this subject, I'm on the fence. I realize Tua is an all world prospect and has franchise changing ability. A player worthy of being the #1 Overall pick. But for me, it's more about the fear of continuing injury issues moving forward, that are hard to ignore. With that being said, as much as I'd like to select him with Miami's 1st pick, I'm inclined to pass early on and select him with the Pittsburgh or Houston pick. Which, by the way, was originally leaning towards not selecting Tua with any 1st rounder. But my homer fandom, keeps telling me to take the chance on greatness.

To draft him or not to draft him. Why does everything has to always be so hard for our team?
If we pass on him he'd be drafted by another team and he will go on to have a HOF career and we'll look like idiots.

If we draft him in the 1st round he'll never play again or he'll play and will get hurt in his 2nd preseason game and never play again so we'll look like idiots.

When was the last time something real important when it comes to players went our way??

I'm glad I'm not making this decision.

From what I have read and heard from doctors:

1. Alabama dId a great job reinserting the ball into the socket quickly. That was crucial to keep the blood flow going to that area.
2. The surgery was well thought out and a success.
3. We will know by the time of the draft whether the blood flow and that area are damaged due to deterioration, despite all the medical things being done right.
4. I heard one doctor say that the odds of the deterioration would be about 10% today, which isn’t zero, but should be known by the draft. He said in the past there have been medical research papers putting the odds at 25% but the medical situation has improved. Also, AfrIcan Americans, which Tua of course is not, have a predisposition to it statistically.
5. Even if all goes well, his rehab is a 12 month situation, minimum, and he could be out all of 2020, but be fine at that point.
6. He’s a transcendent talent. If you cannot comprehend that, I won’t say anything derogatory other than to say there are all types of people in this world of varying degrees of analytical skills. His skill set is decidedly not “see ball, throw ball“ which is way too common. He: is accurate, throws with anticipation, moves defenders with his eyes, can manipulate within the pocket, is a playmaker, has charisma as a player, leads, is competitive, etc. That is a special, special combo of traits.
7. He’s worth the risk if we know by the draft that his blood flow is fine and there is no necrosis. The risk on him is well worth it compared to whatever other reward you can imagine at that spot.
8. In the NFL, the refs don’t let the quarterback get hit often. That’s the predominant reason Brady and Brees keep trotting out there. Tua will have to play to that, and avoid hits.
9. On a risk, reward basis, this kid is so special, you’ve got to do it.
10. I’m not biased. I’m not an Alabama fan. If you’re making your judgment to spite Alabama fans who you don’t even know in real life, to say that makes no sense is a massive understatement.

Last edited:
If anyone is interested in getting a good medical synopsis, go to Mike Francesa’s podcasts from yesterday. One is an interview with Dr. Steve O’Brien who is the source of many of the data and points I made above. It’s a very illuminating interview and is only about ten minutes of your time. It’s well worth it.

Not really...Dennis Pitta is a good Comp for his injury...and he was never the same or durable.

What do you mean by not really?

I said all that I've read about the injury...which is relatively limited but here is the article I was directly referencing - https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ated-hip-status-surgery-rehab-future-outlook/ - feel free to read it

I don't know the extent of Dennis Pitta's injury or procedure afterwards but hopefully Tua doesn't take quite as much contact as a Tight End....

Back
Top Bottom