Did anyone read the HYDE article about T.O.? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Did anyone read the HYDE article about T.O.?

NYPhinFan

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
He just mentioned that the Dolphins are looking hard at T Owens(I really don't think it will happen)...trying to weigh all the positives against the negatives. He just seems like such a huge headache...but God he is just so talented....but also such a cancer. A Daryl Gardener with more visiblity.
Don't want everyone going overboard about him coming here....just wondering how we could even think about affording him and trying to get help on the o-line and other spots. The kind of money he is looking for would be out of this world...but I guess everyone has to at least look into it.

Love to see it come true...we desperately need talent on offense. But even if we got him, it wouldn't matter unless we get a QB who can throw to him.

Sign him if possible. With a legitimate passing game and a QB that can throw the ball, Brunell, the running game can open up even more. Instead of using a 1st round pick on a WR or QB, Miami can trade down and pick up a couple more drafts pick and go after OL. There are a lot of WR's in this years draft so there should be a no problem picking up one in later rounds. As for a young QB, that could be held off for one more year or use next year 2nd or 3rd pick for Henson.

Man it is so easy to say just sign him...but you have to take into consideration how much money he will get(ALOT!) and we are not in the greatest cap situation...and how it will affect if it precludes us from signing anyother FAs...especially on the o-line....which to me is a major priority.

I think that is exactly where he will end up..

I would do it for the right price. I think I would load the contract with incentives based on him behaving. That way if he comes in and plays at an all star level and doesn't cause trouble, then he gets paid. If he comes in and acts like an a$$ and draws fines etc, then he doesn't. I would also make it with a huge backloaded payment at the end of the year. That way we can decide if he is a help and not a distraction.

There is no doubting his talent. I would take a shot with him. If he doesn't work out then I would cut him.

For one, I'm not at all convinced he'll end up in Philly. The Eagles just don't spend money on big ticket free agents. Maybe this year will be an exception, and maybe Donovan McNabb will lobby successfully for TO. But past history indicates that they'll sign a lower-tier free agent (think Justin McCairens or Drew Bennett) and draft someone.

For another, I'd love to see TO in Miami. Sure, he's a jerk, but I'll put up with that for 80 cathes for 1200 yards and 10 TDs. That said, there's no way we can find the money to land him. Not if we want to address needs at QB and OL too. Mark Brunell is probably more important than Owens, and I really doubt we could get both.

Miami and its diehard fans have always screamed about fiscal responsibilty and I was one of them. Don't pay big now and kill yourself later mentality with salary cap. Well, in a way we have done that. We killed ourselves by overpaying the defense and neglecting the offense. Its time to mortgage some of the future to win now. After this year or next year Miami will need to make some cuts that people won't like but hopefully, there will be some new and younger core players to take over. This will all start with Miami being better drafters. Some will argue that have down well in their picks. I say that they have to but at the same time they have not drafted need players until later rounds. A good example is Moore and Fletcher. Starting WR's and OL were out there for our picking and Miami drafted players that didn't need. Its time for Miami to loosen the money belt and get the 9-7, 10-6 and 1st round playoff loses out their system. Get players that will push Miami deeper into the playoffs and the Super Bowl.

TO will end up in Philly, but it would be great to see him in aqua.

He may well be a cancer but IMO he is also one of the top five receivers in this league.

Consider our cap situation now, and our need for other upgrades. We need an OT as well, and THEN you have to think that we have to resign Chambers before the end of next season, or he becomes a UFA. Doesn't seem like a good move to me. Sure, he's talented, but we just don't have the money. I really understand the pay for offense mentality, but I don't see this as possible. Though, I'm all for going out and signing a top-tier guy, TO will be more expensive than most.

That, and the draft is deep in WR"s. HOPEFULY we can get 2 firsts, and snag one in the draft. We'll see though.

It only makes sense at the right price. Bill Walsh said it best when asked about T.O. "He has talent, but he is too inconsistent to pay him the kind of money he is asking for"

Originally posted by NYPhinFan
He just seems like such a huge headache...but God he is just so talented....but also such a cancer. A Daryl Gardener with more visiblity.

TO only gets pissy when the Niners are losing. He thinks that they have the best chance to win when the ball is in his hands, and guess what? He's right. Sure, he's selfish, but wouldn't you like a player on offense who demanded the ball? I know I would. When's the last time we had one of those?

Back
Top Bottom