Did Dave Wannstedt Sabotage the Dolphins 04 Season? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Did Dave Wannstedt Sabotage the Dolphins 04 Season?

NYinBostonFin said:
Because we were still underachieving. We had a team w/ 9 probowlers 2 years ago including and didn't make the playoffs. Why? How can that be? We had a better team than the rest of the division period. You can't make excuses being in the toughest division. It doesn't get easier in the playoffs. (and did you see our team perform in the playoffs while wanny was here? That raiders game made me sick.)
You cant be happy with being average or a little above not making the playoffs every year. Thats what kept him here. He was a bad head coach, with great players. He might have made a good DC, but to be the type of coach DW was we would never make it past the wild card game.

With your logic, we should have kept fielder. He won a lot of games why not keep him? B/c he can't win the game.

I wasnt defending the guy I was merely stating what WH might have been thinking. With the circumstances of that season being 10-6 and not making the playoffs, how do you blame the coach? Without Mare missing 2 field goals against the patriots and Chris Carter droping a TD pass in the endzone against the Vikings we would have been in. Those arent coaching errors those are lack of concentration errors. Again not defending Dave, like I said nice guy horrible coach.

I dont think there was ever any concious decision by Wannabe to try to lose games. I think he was stubborn and refused to admit that his alliance to Fiedler was a mistake of Biblical proportions, and that he would exhaust every avenue to prove that it wasnt a mistake. I also think that he was so inept at judging talent, both in players and in coaches, that he honestly couldnt see that the idea of hiring his underqualified friends as assistant coaches should have never even been entertained. In Dave's eyes, Im sure these guys were the cream of the crop.
Dave was good at being a bad coach. It wasnt intentional, its just the way he was.

His biggest mistake was game 16 in 2003. A little recap

We were 9-6
We were already done for the playoffs
Ricky was taking injections before and during games to play

So in the last game he plays Fiedler when everyone wanted to see what Sage could do for 1 game

He plays Ricky (which happened to be his last game ever)

We win the game so he can say he hit that 10 game milestone

If we lost the game and he rested Ricky and Fiedler we would have had

1. A better draft pick instead of Carey maybe one of the Hurricane linebackers?

2. we would not have traded our 4th that year to move up a spot

3. Maybe Ricky stays since those 30 extra hits added to his decision

All in all as A DolPhan this is good for us now since we know have Saban, but for Wanny's sake I think last year we would have been a lot better if he rested and lost game 16 2003

Maybe DW is still driving some Sabotage from Pittsburg.
He'll prepare better rookies in order to make them obvious Miami's pick and then will insert some subliminar order to lose every game with under a dolphin jersey.
MUAH HA HA HA HA!!!!

this is a no brainer, who in here wanted wanny in the 1st place. after his botch job in chicago. how do you take a 11-5 team for how many years and turn it into 4-12 , so to answer your question its, YES :tongue:

BAMAPHIN 22 said:
The question that is on my mind and many others is that did DW really wanted to win NFL games as the Dolphin Head coach? Or did he try to sabotage the franchise before he left? After reviewing some of these comments the offense were put in a position to fail deliberately! I'am I just speculating or is there something to this theory... You be the judge...

"Robert Konrad that the offensive team never even had one meeting together..."

"AJ Feeley couldn't call audibles after a play was called."

Vernon Carey: "I know why I didn't play and why I should have played. ... I think I should have played a little more," he said.

"It's just totally different techniques," Carey said. "Every offensive line coach has different techniques  some work and some don't."

There is a BIG difference between sabotage & incompetence but both are equally as devastating.....RIP Dave!:fire:

wpgfishfan said:
His biggest mistake was game 16 in 2003. A little recap

We were 9-6
We were already done for the playoffs
Ricky was taking injections before and during games to play

So in the last game he plays Fiedler when everyone wanted to see what Sage could do for 1 game

He plays Ricky (which happened to be his last game ever)

We win the game so he can say he hit that 10 game milestone

If we lost the game and he rested Ricky and Fiedler we would have had

1. A better draft pick instead of Carey maybe one of the Hurricane linebackers?

2. we would not have traded our 4th that year to move up a spot

3. Maybe Ricky stays since those 30 extra hits added to his decision

All in all as A DolPhan this is good for us now since we know have Saban, but for Wanny's sake I think last year we would have been a lot better if he rested and lost game 16 2003

Interesting thought. How much would have changed in 2004, if Wanny was planning ahead instead of ONE game at a time?

On the other hand, as painful as last season was? It got us here. Saban and a new coaching staff. A solid draft from all appearances. Plenty of hope for the future.

I'm glad Wanny is gone. I don't think he ever tried to destroy this team, he was just in over his head as a HC.

pigskinguy said:
It's an interesting theroy, but has 1 MAJOR flaw. You are giving Wanny waaaaaaaay to much credit.
I just don't think Dave Wannstedt is smart enough for all that.

Exactly!

BAMAPHIN 22 said:
The question that is on my mind and many others is that did DW really wanted to win NFL games as the Dolphin Head coach? Or did he try to sabotage the franchise before he left? After reviewing some of these comments the offense were put in a position to fail deliberately! I'am I just speculating or is there something to this theory... You be the judge...

"Robert Konrad that the offensive team never even had one meeting together..."

"AJ Feeley couldn't call audibles after a play was called."

Vernon Carey: "I know why I didn't play and why I should have played. ... I think I should have played a little more," he said.

"It's just totally different techniques," Carey said. "Every offensive line coach has different techniques  some work and some don't."

Wanny was a lot of things to the Fins, nearly all bad, but I find it very hard to believe that he "sabotaged" the team. It's not really in his nature to purposely do things that were not beneficial to the team...Did he make some wrong decisions that have cost us...absolutely ! Did he do some things that were geared towards winning his last year here (read: to save his job !)...absolutely !! But with all the issues he had as a coach and personnel man, he didn't or wouldn't have done them to purposely sabotage the team...

Back
Top Bottom