Did the Dolphins make a mistake by not moving to the AFC South? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Did the Dolphins make a mistake by not moving to the AFC South?

lucid22

Active Roster
Reaction score
Legit question, do you guys think the Dolphins should have moved to the AFC South when they had the chance? Trust me, I love the rivalries we've developed with the other AFC East teams over the years, I just wonder if our franchise would have had more success in the last 20 years playing the AFC South (and not having to worry about these snow games as much).

I didn’t know they had the chance? Assuming we still would have had the same owner, GMs, coaches and QBs after Marino retired then “no”. I’m sure we would have found new and inventive ways to lose to Jacksonville every year

I remember reading somewhere that they did. I'm 31 so I'm not old enough to remember but I think when the Colts moved to Indy we could have went to the south and Indy to the east

Didn't realize it was an option. I would have wanted the change, but at the time the Dolphins had pretty good rivalries with the Bills, Jets, Patriots and Colts and likely wanted to keep as many of them as active as possible.

When the NFL realigned 20 years ago, Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga was given the option to flip into the geographically sensible AFC South but chose to maintain old AFL rivalries. That sent the Colts packing instead, letting two legendary quarterbacks divide and conquer.

They should have gone to the AFC South. It just would have made a lot more sense.

Not because of 'success' which would have been a dumb reason as there was no way to no that the division would be dominated by the Pats. The rivalries weren't as important as they thought they were.. and they would have had new rivalries with teams that were closer.

Unless you're competitive and can play with any team, it doesn't really matter what division you're in. You still have to be able to beat any opponent on any Sunday, no matter where they're from. Could we have made the playoffs more, maybe, would it really have mattered, nope...

Last edited:
For us old-timers, staying in the same division made much more sense. Those rivalries are nostalgic and have been developed and intensified over the years. Geographically it made sense, but not from a historic rivalry standpoint. I've hated those 3 other teams for an awfully long time and look forward to playing them each year...

I don’t ever remember it being an option
Would love to be in the AFC south, less travel the better
And it would great if the conferences and divisions could be aligned where it’s us, jags, bucs, saints and falcons
That would make the most sense

For us old-timers, staying in the same division made much more sense. Those rivalries are nostalgic and have been developed and intensified over the years. Geographically it made sense, but not from a historic rivalry standpoint. I've hated those 3 other teams for an awfully long time and look forward to playing them each year...
Thank you, a voice of reason!

Back
Top Bottom