Did the Dolphins make a mistake by not moving to the AFC South? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Did the Dolphins make a mistake by not moving to the AFC South?

I didn’t know they had the chance? Assuming we still would have had the same owner, GMs, coaches and QBs after Marino retired then “no”. I’m sure we would have found new and inventive ways to lose to Jacksonville every year
Agree with this

Should Seattle move to the NFC North? Should the LA Rams move to the NFC South? LA Chargers to the NFC South?

Miami is on the Atlantic Ocean. You can't get any further East. Or maybe the NFL should institute a latitude mandate when setting up divisions? LOL

I have a better idea. Build a team that can win in any type of weather. Last I checked, both teams play in it and the majority of Dolphin players have played in it in college or high school. Being that Tua is the QB, my suggestion for Ross would have been to pony up the big bucks and keep the team in the Buffalo area for the full week of practice. Get Tua used to playing in those conditions as much as possible.

Just build a team that can win in the AFC East like they did in the 70s and 80s. When Carolina, Tampa, Atlanta and New Orleans joined the league was anyone clamoring for Miami to be put in the same division as them back then? Probably not since they were most likely more concerned with winning playoff games and watching Marino set records.

If Miami had New England’s success winning divisions since 2000 I’m pretty sure no Miami fans would be pining to be in the AFC south.

Should Seattle move to the NFC North? Should the LA Rams move to the NFC South? LA Chargers to the NFC South?

Miami is on the Atlantic Ocean. You can't get any further East. Or maybe the NFL should institute a latitude mandate when setting up divisions? LOL

I have a better idea. Build a team that can win in any type of weather. Last I checked, both teams play in it and the majority of Dolphin players have played in it in college or high school. Being that Tua is the QB, my suggestion for Ross would have been to pony up the big bucks and keep the team in the Buffalo area for the full week of practice. Get Tua used to playing in those conditions as much as possible.
Sorry, but this literally has nothing to do with Tua. And if the argument that ‘Miami is on the East coast so they should be in the East…..Miami is the farthest Southern team in the league.

Sorry, but this literally has nothing to do with Tua. And if the argument that ‘Miami is on the East coast so they should be in the East…..Miami is the farthest Southern team in the league.
So you're saying there should be a latitude mandate. Buffalo and New England are north of EVERY single team in the AFC North. How about we bump them out of the AFC East and have them swap places with Pittsburgh and Baltimore?

In the day and age of jet travel in a sport that plays once a week, you want to throw away 50+ years of history with our 3 biggest rivals to keep the poor Dolphins from having to play in the cold weather an additional once or twice a year (and don't worry, even in the AFC South, they would still have to play the other divisions in the AFC and NFC so they would have to play in cold weather at some time).

Another thing you guys don't think about (and maybe many of you guys don't live down here) is that Miami is FULL of people from New York and Massachusetts. Rivalries with Jets, Bills, and Pats make totally more sense for those who live down here than Jax, Nashville, and Houston. Miami does not have an SEC football type of vibe like those fans in Houston, Jax, and Nashville. It is more fun busting on your Jet fan auto mechanic during the week or your Pats co-worker. Titans, Jags, and Texans don't have a big presence down here at all.

You can't run from it. This is an outdoor sport (for the most part) played in cities that are mostly cold from November to January. You HAVE to be able to win in cold and inclement weather unless you can get homefield advantage every year (and that ain't happening). So let's be big boys. Continue playing the teams we love to hate twice a year (not the ones that are just slightly more convenient to get to and in warmer weather) and start winning those games again.

Legit question, do you guys think the Dolphins should have moved to the AFC South when they had the chance? Trust me, I love the rivalries we've developed with the other AFC East teams over the years, I just wonder if our franchise would have had more success in the last 20 years playing the AFC South (and not having to worry about these snow games as much).
When has this organization ever made a mistake?

You could equally argue that you can't get anymore south than Miami. In fact no team is further south than Miami, but the Jets, Bills, Patriots, Ravens and Pittsburgh are further east than Miami.

Last edited:
As much sense as it would make, being that I live in upstate NY, going to the Jets game is my guarantee that I’ll see them live every season. So for that, I hope they don’t move divisions

TBH, I'm glad we didn't. Beating the Pats, Jets, and Bills make me much happier than beating the Colts, Texans or Jags. The South hasn't been a respected division ever...

Legit question, do you guys think the Dolphins should have moved to the AFC South when they had the chance? Trust me, I love the rivalries we've developed with the other AFC East teams over the years, I just wonder if our franchise would have had more success in the last 20 years playing the AFC South (and not having to worry about these snow games as much).
It was decided so its kind of a done deal right?

Back
Top Bottom