Diggs giving some props to Howard | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Diggs giving some props to Howard

The defense played notably worse whenever Jones wasn’t on the field. The problem with being a DB in a passing league is that people only notice you when you make a great play or get beat. When you do your job in coverage the camera might not even pan to your side of the field.
It's true, Byron Jones reminds me a lot of Nnamdi Asomugah. He was widely regarded as one of the best cover corners in the league in his prime, and had that one year where I think he led the league in INTs, but otherwise not much interceptions and not much attention or media coverage; just quietly did his job at a high level.

Glad he recognizes that the guy who had 10 picks last year is really good, lol. Kidding aside, this is a good compliment.

The Byron Jones signing was not good last year. Bringing in a guy to pay him more than your best player when he's a step-down in talent/skill is just asking for team dissension. Was there seriously no other way to bolster the position last year? I mean, sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do, but it seems dumb and Jones looked like crap way too often last season, especially in game 17.
Jones getting paid more than X is a problem but the D was pretty awesome w both of them on the field. When CB no 2 can lock down his man without help you have 9 guys who you can scheme with on D and vs 8. We saw the fruits of that all last seasons disguises and creative blitz packages. I don’t like what we pay Jones but I also recall what our secondary and defense have been like since Madison and Surtain. And it’s not been good. CB 2 every year gets beaten like a drum and the D cannot get off of the field. We got off of the field last year. So much of that was due to having 2 shut down CBs.

Jones getting paid more than X is a problem but the D was pretty awesome w both of them on the field. When CB no 2 can lock down his man without help you have 9 guys who you can scheme with on D and vs 8. We saw the fruits of that all last seasons disguises and creative blitz packages. I don’t like what we pay Jones but I also recall what our secondary and defense have been like since Madison and Surtain. And it’s not been good. CB 2 every year gets beaten like a drum and the D cannot get off of the field. We got off of the field last year. So much of that was due to having 2 shut down CBs.
Where does it end though. If I sign today and become the top CB in the league 2 years from now I could be the 5th highest paid CB.

Salaries are only going up and if guys sign contracts and then play lights out a year later, they shouldn't get to renegotiate that contract based on one year of performance. What about the year before where he didn't earn that salary because he was hurt all the time and got 1 INT, should the team renegotiate down? I think this is a dangerous precedent being set in the league. If your deal is good enough to sign now, you play in that deal for at least a couple of seasons, then it can be discussed.

Where does it end though. If I sign today and become the top CB in the league 2 years from now I could be the 5th highest paid CB.

Salaries are only going up and if guys sign contracts and then play lights out a year later, they shouldn't get to renegotiate that contract based on one year of performance. What about the year before where he didn't earn that salary because he was hurt all the time and got 1 INT, should the team renegotiate down? I think this is a dangerous precedent being set in the league. If your deal is good enough to sign now, you play in that deal for at least a couple of seasons, then it can be discussed.
Agreed. The market dictated the salaries each year. All I’m saying is the players may not “get it” and it creates a disconnect. Jones got the deal he did because that’s what the market was last year. We have to find a way to keep these guys because our D can be scary good w both of them.

Agreed. The market dictated the salaries each year. All I’m saying is the players may not “get it” and it creates a disconnect. Jones got the deal he did because that’s what the market was last year. We have to find a way to keep these guys because our D can be scary good w both of them.
This.

X got his payday and was greatly rewarded before he became truly great. It's disingenuous to now go back and demand to re-negotiate it because the scale changed ... it always changes. That's the reason he was given the top salary in the first place, not because he was the best or even borderline All-Pro before he got paid. The point of a contract for a team is time. The point of the contract for the player is money. X really should just play his contract out. He couldn't have possibly gotten more money than he did when he did. He only could have negotiated a 1 year deal and if he got hurt again, potentially lost most of that money. Now that he's played under the most lucrative part and enjoyed the safety net of payment despite the risk of injury ... he's as lame as a team was cutting Kyle Van Noy when he gave them exactly what they expected him to and they just didn't want to pay the man the money they promised him.

At the end of the day, it's about power. X has some power because he's not replaceable. Van Noy was replaceable so he didn't have the power. Now we'll face him twice a year for several more years ... and he'll be motivated and fully informing Belichick of our schemes, players, tendencies, weaknesses, etc. We really just dug a hole and jumped in it. X, while he should just play out his contract, can hold the Dolphins hostage if he wants. Either the Dolphins cave and fork out tons of money for no reason, or both X and the Dolphins lose. If we fork out the money, every high-performing contract will hold out in the future. That precedent is a problem, so I suspect the Dolphins either quietly agree to up his contract or take a hard line and tell him he's got to play on his contract. Either way .... needlessly bad situation.

To be fair, he'd be an excellent blanket for Tua in this offense. Guy just knows how to get open, and is sure handed. He's one of the best slot receivers in the NFL, and consistently brings it every week. I'll always respect his toughness, competitiveness, and his absolute passion for the game of football.

I have nothing against Jarvis Landry for earning and getting his contract that he deserved.
I like a lot of what you said about Landry, but some of that is a huge issue too. When he was here, he was catching over 100 balls at 9 yards a pop. Not going to win many games that way. It's like playing skee-ball and always going for the 10. He is a great complimentary receiver but will never be a #1 and is an iffy #2. Just MHO. I did like the guy's fire though!

Back
Top Bottom