DJ Williams WILL NOT be the Dolphins Pick | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

DJ Williams WILL NOT be the Dolphins Pick

Boomer

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
It's just that a lot of people keep saying he will be or that he's a guy we should look at. Williams is an athlete playing linebacker. Our defensive scheme is very reactionary. Very. DJ Williams is not a reactionary linebacker. he doesn't have the instincts for our system. He gets caught inside too often, takes too many false steps and I am continually amazed at how Jon Vilma can get to the strongside ahead of Williams playing SLB and make the stop. It's call instinct boys and girls. It would be a mssive surprise if Williams was the pick because schematically he is not our type of linebacker. Signing players and drafting players is all about fitting them into schemes.

Vilma on the other hand absolutely is.

Some people can't get over their infatuation with University of Miami players. It's why Vernon Carey is constantly talked about by some fans.

I hope we don't take neither one of them as big a canes fan as I am. Now Wilfork would be great. Having a DT that can actually go after the QB at last would be great for JT and Ogun. We'd now have a super defence instead of a good defence.How many times have we seen JT and Ogun almost get there just to see the QB step up and get rid of the ball cos there was no presure from the middle?Anyway, I'm pretty sure he'll be gone tho.

Ozzy rules!!

Even with Wilfork, I think some of you overrated the U of M players. Wilfork isn't going to be a DT that gets after the passer at the pro level. He's a big, two gap defensive tackle.

I really like Sean Taylor and Jonathan Vilma. I think they will be the two best players out of the U of M group.

I only want Vilma because I have read that he is a the best middle linebacker in the draft. I think Miami REALLY needs a back up middle linebacker who can move into the starting role in two years. Plus Vilma might be able to take over for Greenwood.

I think Miami REALLY needs a back up middle linebacker who can move into the starting role in two years.

Yeah but that timeline is so tenuous that it might be best to just go ahead and fill that need when it comes up. I don't like the idea of drafting a guy who will just be Zach's backup for the next 2 years.

Plus in general I really don't believe our LBers in our system need to have that much investment in them...that certainly wasn't Jimmy Johnson's M.O. and we're still basically running a Jimmy Jr. system. If we grabbed Vilma I think we'd probably put him at WSLB and put Moore at SSLB or the other way around...however that would mean our LB corp consists of a big money player, and the two top picks of our last two drafts. Do we really need that much invested in the position?

I'd be happy with Vilma. And you're right KB: a lot of folks have UM blinders on.

Vilma hits like an exorcist.

umjc039016lg-1.jpg

dj williams reminds me of jackie shipp. great athlete, not player.

Vilma is a blue chipper in this draft and its not often you get the chance to draft a blue chipper at pick 20.

Wilfork and Williams are not blue chippers.

I feel one of the main problem with the defense is the lack of linebackers. For a position that isn't important, when Zach Thomas is out, the defense plays horrible. Plus if he is better then Greenwood, the more the better.

Vilma won't be there at #20, so let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.

He IS fantastic, but not our greatest need. Someone would be dying to get him if he's there when we pick, so I would try to trade down a few spots (provided the blue chip OL & WR are gone...)

Boomer said:
It's just that a lot of people keep saying he will be or that he's a guy we should look at. Williams is an athlete playing linebacker. Our defensive scheme is very reactionary. Very. DJ Williams is not a reactionary linebacker. he doesn't have the instincts for our system. He gets caught inside too often, takes too many false steps he is not our type of linebacker.

I really agree with Boomer on this.
DJ may not be ANY TEAMS type of linebacker regardless of scheme.
This guy has massive physical tools. That's obvious, however I think there is a really good possiblilty that he will NEVER have the wits to survive as a successful NFL LB.

He bites on offensive fakes constantly and like Boomer said he gets caught inside a lot. It amazed me watching him how often he bit on the smallest fakes. He was able to recover his positioning against the college players but in the NFL a slight mistep is all it takes for a RB to take one 80 yds.

I see the potential for a Jakie Shipp career for this guy. All the tools but a pure lack of intelect to get the job done consistently.

I really hope we don't look his way.

KBISBACK said:
Some people can't get over their infatuation with University of Miami players. It's why Vernon Carey is constantly talked about by some fans.

That's probably because of all the incredible NFL players that come out of UM, particularly on defense.

So name me a better Linebacker than DJ williams ? Vilma? So if he's the second rated linebacker he must have done something right..

Back
Top Bottom