DJ Williams WILL NOT be the Dolphins Pick | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

DJ Williams WILL NOT be the Dolphins Pick

While i certianly appreciate the recognition by the members here of the need to get depth at ilb, it would be foolish to draft another lb this high. I say o-line, o-line , hey did i say o-line! Dolfanreal69

I thought the knock on Greenwood coming out of Syracuse was the same as Williams' knocks. I thought he was more of an athlete playin LB and took false steps a bit too often.

Of course I could be wrong, and if anybody out there can set me straight on this one, by all means, go ahead.

Boomer said:
It's just that a lot of people keep saying he will be or that he's a guy we should look at. Williams is an athlete playing linebacker. Our defensive scheme is very reactionary. Very. DJ Williams is not a reactionary linebacker. he doesn't have the instincts for our system. He gets caught inside too often, takes too many false steps and I am continually amazed at how Jon Vilma can get to the strongside ahead of Williams playing SLB and make the stop. It's call instinct boys and girls. It would be a mssive surprise if Williams was the pick because schematically he is not our type of linebacker. Signing players and drafting players is all about fitting them into schemes.

Vilma on the other hand absolutely is.

I agree with what you're saying about Wms vs vilma. But if Vilma is the pick, do you move him outside?

KBISBACK said:
Some people can't get over their infatuation with University of Miami players. It's why Vernon Carey is constantly talked about by some fans.

It may be because he's generally the 3 rated OLman in the draft, by most standards anyway, and would be a good pick at #20. Biggest reason is that he would fill a position in our greatest need area.

DeDolfan said:
It may be because he's generally the 3 rated OLman in the draft

Just because he is the 3rd rated lineman on some draft boards, doesn't mean that he is worthy of the #20 spot.

That may not be your main point, but I think overall value should take precedent over positional value.

I agree with what is being said, but...

I think that an athlete like DJ, under the guidance of Thomas and Seau will be a great linebacker because of his athleticism. You can't teach the athleticism, but you can teach him how to recognize plays, and how to diagnose blocking schemes.

I like the player, he is rated very highly on my draft board.

Dj is one hell of an athlete, thats why he moved to LB rather than stay at Tailback, which was what he was coming out of high school, he was the biggest sign in the country at the time. DJ is gonna be a star for whoever he goes once he gets a system down.

TerryTate said:
Dj is one hell of an athlete, thats why he moved to LB rather than stay at Tailback, which was what he was coming out of high school, he was the biggest sign in the country at the time. DJ is gonna be a star for whoever he goes once he gets a system down.

Katzenmoyer was supposed to be a star as well, but alas, he had no brains.

Bodzilla29 said:
Just because he is the 3rd rated lineman on some draft boards, doesn't mean that he is worthy of the #20 spot.

That may not be your main point, but I think overall value should take precedent over positional value.

true, but he is rated to go anywhere from 18 and later, so he would not be a "reach", IMO.

TerryTate, that is exactly what I mean

DJ is a guy that we can take time with. He can learn the plays. Once he does that, he is all set to go, and will be very successful IMO

"Even with Wilfork, I think some of you overrated the U of M players. Wilfork isn't going to be a DT that gets after the passer at the pro level. He's a big, two gap defensive tackle."

Actually Wilfork is an excellent pass rusher. As opposed to wearing Hurricane tinted glasses, perhaps you should actually watch them. Don't be fooled by his size.

Mebeverine,

Danny made the point that he won't be able to rush the passer like he did in college in the NFL, which i agree with. Wilfork will be used as a run stuffer in the pros. The only guys that i can really think of that consistently rush the passer from DT presently in the pros are Kris Jenkins, and, when he can be bothered, Warren Sapp.

I think it's unfair to expect Wilfork to become the next Sapp, I believe Tommie Harris will have more joy rushing the passer in the pros than Vince.

I agree with Mebeverine, if you don't think Wilfork's a good pass rusher you obviously haven't seen all of his games. Finished with 6 and a half sacks and actually got to the quarterback, something I've yet to see with Dockett. I sure see him chasing, but he never seems to get a sack. That's why he's rated so high, because of his atleticism to get to the QB at his size. Don't say I'm wearing UM glasses, because I don't think highly of Williams and Carey is going to be a project. Taylor, Winslow, Wilfork, and Vilma are the guys I think will make a big impact for whoever they're drafted by.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the NFL coaches we'll realize what his strong suit is and that's rushing the passer. There's not many guards in the NFL that can get leverage on this guy once he gets his motor moving. They'll use him to the best of his ability and let him more time than not loose on the passer like he was able to do at UM.

I'm a big Wilfork fan and never said that he wasn't a good pass rusher

He obviously was a good pass rusher at UM, and as a Canes fans, I was fortunate to get to see a number of Canes games on British TV, and have a few game tapes from last year.

However, it obviously won't be as easy for him to get sacks in the pros.

That's all I'm saying.

Back
Top Bottom