Do you believe Wannstadt when he says | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Do you believe Wannstadt when he says

Originally posted by RikWriter

I am sarcastic because I am cynical of Wannstedt's coaching ability. If we beat the Pats and Chargers, which we should on both counts, we will be 6-1. The problem is, the hard part of our season starts right there. We still have to play the Colts in Indy, Philly, Dallas, Washington, Baltimore, Tennessee and the Pats in NE. Those will not be easy games and I am skeptical of our ability to come out of them with a winning record in that stretch of games the way our offense is playing.
I certainly hope Wanny proves me wrong, but there are certain things you don't believe until you see them: FSU beating Miami, the Cubs or Red Sox making the World Series and the Dolphins beating good teams on the road in December.

uh....rikwriter, we play Indy at home dude!:D

Originally posted by Sherif
He's going to get our passing woes corrected?

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/7008111.htm

I do. In fact the worse thing that can happen to this team is an injury to Jay. We're comming up on the part of the season where he usually gets injured and misses some games. If he's our future QB he has to stay healthy all season. Thats the main thing

Do I believe that?
Well that along with $4.95 will get ya an expresso at Starbucks!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Originally posted by DolphinzD
This may sound silly, but after what happened last year and the awful and empty feeling of being home for the play-offs, I just want the team to get back there. If 10-6 gets the team to the play-offs, fine. That would have last year. Of course I would like to think the team will be farther, and I know that just making the play-offs isn't good enough for many people on this board, but more than anything I just want to be there.

Well, I'll grant you that. To make any kind of noise in the playoffs, we gotta get there 1st !! ;)

His players believe in him... and he has tried to improve the team every season. this season it was D, last it was the RB spot (which was needed badly).

did shula get a RB for marino? nope..
Did johnson get a RB for Marino/Huard (marino was hurt a lot) nope...

Did Dave try and get a RB for Fiedler? yup.. Lamar smith who was good but at the end of his career, and ricky williams who is the most feared RB in the NFL. Ricky was being pissed on in NO and miami saw something in him... how many coaches would have gone after a guy who had mental issues, injury problems and a problem expressing himself with the team/media. i think DW sees the great in his players and that makes them respect him and want to win for him and themselves. when he no longer doesn't they don't even get dressed (fletcher).

considering he has gone after big Free agents and some key trades i think he'll keep his job for a few years as long as he keeps improving the team. like Norv Turner said "it's just a matter of inches" (reffering to the passing game). miami's problems are very fixable. when everone is on the same page we'll be fine. i believe DW is the best coach miami has had in awhile. Shula at the end was a great coach but never went after the big deals. and when he did he pissed off Clayton and Duper the greatest combo off all times.. andthey walked. Shula was great with dog **** lol... he was just so amazing. he did things with little talent and big talent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Still gonna be a tough game, the way the Colts are playing this year.

yeah, but HF is huge. they play in a dome and have no real understanding of heat. they played awful for 3 3/4 of football. the bucs also had WANSLEY on Harrison who had a huge game after kelly got hurt. before that he caught mostly dinks and dunks.

i think if miami's D is healthy manning will feel the same pressure he's always known miami to give him, and make the big mistakes.

Listen if they are really going to make a committment I think we have to believe them just by sure numbers. If they're practicing deep passes all week, and the throw a bunch of deep passes during the game, with Chambers and Derrius Thompsons abilities to jump in the air and come down with the ball, we're gonna get a few deep ones I think...just like in Madden if you take a bunch of shots down field you will end up gettin a pretty fair share.

What I'm worried about is the fact that the deep passing game isn't coming naturally to us. By concentrating so much on it we will be taking away our practice of more complicated plays that take more practice, like screens and well timed dumpoffs and stuff like that. Those kinds of plays have been our bread and butter so far along with timing plays. If Norv calls a screen or a timing based slant or out route that this team hasn't practiced a lot and is unprepared for, the consequences could be disastrous (we're talkin 6 the other way...especially with Fiedler at the helm).

If we're lucky what will happen here is that we spend a few weeks just takin all kinds of shots down the field, trying to get it on track to where we dont have to feature it as much to take advantage...then we move back to the types of things we do best and hopefully the work we did getting the deep game going for a few weeks will carry over next time Norv sets up the play-calling perfect for a shot deep down the middle to James McKnight or something.

But during that period where we're getting the deep game on track, we could lose one, or even two games. And if we fvck around against the Patriots TOO much, one of those losses could be against them, beleaguered as they are with injuries...home game winning streak or no.

I am sarcastic because I am cynical of Wannstedt's coaching ability. If we beat the Pats and Chargers, which we should on both counts, we will be 6-1. The problem is, the hard part of our season starts right there. We still have to play the Colts in Indy, Philly, Dallas, Washington, Baltimore, Tennessee and the Pats in NE. Those will not be easy games and I am skeptical of our ability to come out of them with a winning record in that stretch of games the way our offense is playing.
I certainly hope Wanny proves me wrong, but there are certain things you don't believe until you see them: FSU beating Miami, the Cubs or Red Sox making the World Series and the Dolphins beating good teams on the road in December.

You talk about his coaching ability and never give any reasons why or just take those statements right out of your pie-hole. He's had a coaching resume dating back to 1975 He has a vast knowledge of football and has been making adjustments this season. You must be pete prisco...

Originally posted by juniorseau55

You talk about his coaching ability and never give any reasons why or just take those statements right out of your pie-hole. He's had a coaching resume dating back to 1975 He has a vast knowledge of football and has been making adjustments this season. You must be pete prisco...

I see both sides of this. I think Wannstedt has tried to improve the team and has brought in a lot of good players. I hope it works. I do have some doubts about our offense working or improving if our OL pass and run blocking don't improve.

I think Wann's biggest weaknesses have been 1) trying to patch together an OL in piecemeal fashion, then trying to be a smashmouth football team - can't ahve both; 2) Not thinking "out of the box" quite enough - he seems to be getting better at this though; and 3) Showing some brashness and intensity with the players (ala John Gruden, Bill Parcells). But, that doesn't seem to be his personality.

I like Wannstedt - but, the fact is, a lot of guys get entrenched in the game, have the right connections - and are decent enough to coach, but that doesn't make them championship calibre coaches. I think that's what RikWriter is saying. He simply hasn't proven he's a championship calber head coach.

Originally posted by i2panzer
His players believe in him... and he has tried to improve the team every season. this season it was D, last it was the RB spot (which was needed badly).

did shula get a RB for marino? nope..
Did johnson get a RB for Marino/Huard (marino was hurt a lot) nope...

Did Dave try and get a RB for Fiedler? yup.. Lamar smith who was good but at the end of his career, and ricky williams who is the most feared RB in the NFL. Ricky was being pissed on in NO and miami saw something in him... how many coaches would have gone after a guy who had mental issues, injury problems and a problem expressing himself with the team/media. i think DW sees the great in his players and that makes them respect him and want to win for him and themselves. when he no longer doesn't they don't even get dressed (fletcher).

considering he has gone after big Free agents and some key trades i think he'll keep his job for a few years as long as he keeps improving the team. like Norv Turner said "it's just a matter of inches" (reffering to the passing game). miami's problems are very fixable. when everone is on the same page we'll be fine. i believe DW is the best coach miami has had in awhile. Shula at the end was a great coach but never went after the big deals. and when he did he pissed off Clayton and Duper the greatest combo off all times.. andthey walked. Shula was great with dog **** lol... he was just so amazing. he did things with little talent and big talent.

His players believe in him? How do you know this, cuz the papers say so? A big part of the problem is that Wannstedt HAS upgraded this team every year but we've gone backwards each year since. The guy simply cannot coach at the level we need him to. Granted, so far this yr he has done somewhat better than in the past but the season is not over yet. we always start out this way................................

Still gonna be a tough game, the way the Colts are playing this year.

And it's one the Dolphins should win. The Dolphins play light out at home. It should be a GREAT game for all Dolphin fans!

Oliver...

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Listen if they are really going to make a committment I think we have to believe them just by sure numbers. If they're practicing deep passes all week, and the throw a bunch of deep passes during the game, with Chambers and Derrius Thompsons abilities to jump in the air and come down with the ball, we're gonna get a few deep ones I think...just like in Madden if you take a bunch of shots down field you will end up gettin a pretty fair share.

What I'm worried about is the fact that the deep passing game isn't coming naturally to us. By concentrating so much on it we will be taking away our practice of more complicated plays that take more practice, like screens and well timed dumpoffs and stuff like that. Those kinds of plays have been our bread and butter so far along with timing plays. If Norv calls a screen or a timing based slant or out route that this team hasn't practiced a lot and is unprepared for, the consequences could be disastrous (we're talkin 6 the other way...especially with Fiedler at the helm).

If we're lucky what will happen here is that we spend a few weeks just takin all kinds of shots down the field, trying to get it on track to where we dont have to feature it as much to take advantage...then we move back to the types of things we do best and hopefully the work we did getting the deep game going for a few weeks will carry over next time Norv sets up the play-calling perfect for a shot deep down the middle to James McKnight or something.

But during that period where we're getting the deep game on track, we could lose one, or even two games. And if we fvck around against the Patriots TOO much, one of those losses could be against them, beleaguered as they are with injuries...home game winning streak or no.

prob with just practiing the deep stuff in practice is that it's not all game speed stuff. Sure, you work on the timing and route running and such which is good, but you're not getting it under real games pressure and such. That's why Fiedler wears the red jersey during practice. he knows that he can stand there all day waiting on the route knowing he won't take a hit. Come game time, he won't have that luxury.

Originally posted by juniorseau55

Uuh, no one has said, to my knowledge, that he wasn't knowledgable. Doesn't matter if he goes back to '04, that knowledge doesn't manifest itself down on the field, not in a HC capacity anyway. As a HC, what are his [grand] accomplishments?

Back
Top Bottom