Do you think it's possible we trade UP for Andrews?? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Do you think it's possible we trade UP for Andrews??

Muck

Now completely imaginary
☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
I absolutely covet the guy. But I also like having draft picks (which we never seem to have). Still, if there was ever a temptation trade up this year for someone, it would be for Shawn Andrews.

Denver gave up a 4th rounder and a horrible CB to move up 7 spots (24 to 17) next Saturday. In 2001, the Buccaneers traded their 1st (#21) and 2nd (#58?) rounders to Buffalo to move up 7 spots from 21 to 14 to grab Kenyatta Walker (who they said was "one of the best in a decade" :rofl: ) after he slipped.

What do you think it would take to move up from 20 to 14 or so. 6-7 spots lets say. Would you even consider trading up??

I still think Kenyatta has a decent shot at realizing his potential at RT.

Like I have said in the past I would give Ogunleye and our #20 to Chicago for #14 and their 2nd rounder.

But if we're just talking about moving from #20 to #14 and what we'd have to give I really don't know. Maybe next year's 1st for their 2005 2nd rounder. I do know that Miami was calling up and down the board trying to crack into Round 1 last year, when all they had were 2nd and 3rd round picks...so, I guess if they really wanted to make a move, they could do it.

Andrews is a guy I feel we need. When we got Boston I thought he gave us the ability to do a best player available thing...and he did somewhat, but I was wrong. We have a gaping hole around the RT and RG area.

Getting Andrews solidifies both.

yep, especially if he would be our RG , i really would love him to be part of our interior , that would put a lot of beef in the middle and this should help ricky big time to put up numbers like 2 years ago, damn i´m so hot , and this year i will be able to see the draft live on tv :D

I would much, much rather have Andrews play at RT. He can make a much bigger impact there I believe. Since we got Todd Wade at RT we've actually been able to run the ball somewhat even with Lamar Smith. Andrews' lack of first step could hurt him I think at guard in the run blocking and pulling department. He's not as good at pulling out and taking on linebackers as he is down linemen. The guy could be a man-beast at RT, but if he plays guard even if he plays it well he's playing a position we could find a dozen guys to hold down almost as well.

There is a lot of good value at 20. If Andrews falls great, but you can't tell me we would not be in good shape with Smiley.

I would rather wait and see as we need depth and we are already down a 2nd rounder.

I still absolutely loathe the idea of getting a pure guard with pick #20. Thats far too high. Guards are a dime a dozen. Tackles are much more rare. For the most part, guards are guys that are too short and slow to play tackle IMO...and not necessarily stronger and usually not as talented as tackles.

I would be surprised if we traded up; I just don't think we have the ammunition to do it. If we move, say, a 3rd round pick to move up 4 or 5 spots to secure Andrews, that leaves us with nothing left on day one. I also don't think we'll be moving Ogun. The only team that makes sense at this point and has cap room is Minnesota. Since they pick 19, that doesn't help much if we want to trade up.

What's more, it's starting to look like Andrews will fall to 20.

Originally posted by Muck
I absolutely covet the guy. But I also like having draft picks (which we never seem to have). Still, if there was ever a temptation trade up this year for someone, it would be for Shawn Andrews.

Denver gave up a 4th rounder and a horrible CB to move up 7 spots (24 to 17) next Saturday. In 2001, the Buccaneers traded their 1st (#21) and 2nd (#58?) rounders to Buffalo to move up 7 spots from 21 to 14 to grab Kenyatta Walker (who they said was "one of the best in a decade" :rofl: ) after he slipped.

What do you think it would take to move up from 20 to 14 or so. 6-7 spots lets say. Would you even consider trading up??

I think it's much more likely we'll trade back 7 picks and draft Smiley than up for Andrews.

I wouldn't mind getting Smiley or Andrews.

It seems like Smiley is the "safer" pick, and Andrews is the sexy pick that is boom-or-bust. Andrews DEFINITELY has the edge in the run blocking department, but if Smiley can pack on the muscle (and keep his explosion) he would be an outstanding RG. It seems like Smiley has the dedication, and his quotes about just wanting to play football endear me to him.

I think one main problem is that tackles are drafted, and guards are made. As good as Smiley would be at guard, it would still leave us with a gaping hole at RT. BUT if we could get by with a stopgap player until McIntosh is ready, I'd be willing to take Smiley at #20 if Andrews isn't available.

Weight problems shouldn't be problems. If you're dumb enough to eat that 6th cheeseburger and cost yourself millions, your team is doing something wrong. If Andrews can control his weight (as he has shown with his ability to get down to 330, he will control his weight. Grover Cleveland says so...

Originally posted by ckparrothead
I would much, much rather have Andrews play at RT. He can make a much bigger impact there I believe. Since we got Todd Wade at RT we've actually been able to run the ball somewhat even with Lamar Smith. Andrews' lack of first step could hurt him I think at guard in the run blocking and pulling department. He's not as good at pulling out and taking on linebackers as he is down linemen. The guy could be a man-beast at RT, but if he plays guard even if he plays it well he's playing a position we could find a dozen guys to hold down almost as well.
Wow CK, here's something we can agree on...lol I do agree with you here that he should be a lot better as a RT as I can't see thjis guy pulling at 360 lbs. But he could be a monster at RT and we could come up with a starting RG out of Yates/Whitley/St.Claire so I'd put him at RT.

Ozzy rules!!

It is true that guards have traditionally been viewed as developmental rather than high draft pick people.

But, consider the money we were preparing to give Woody. The NFL is evolving and having a top notch guard is valuable.

If Smiley is as good as advertised, you have a guy that you can plug into the line day 1 with Jeno and McKinney that will not only gash the DL, but has the ability to make blocks at the second level.

Is that worth a pick in the 1st round considering that we pulled Jamar Fletcher in our last attempt.

Call me crazy, but I'd do it and I wouldn't lose any sleep over people complaining about the "guard" issue.

Does it matter if Miami pull a "Jamar Fletcher" with a Guard rather then a cornerback?

I'd take Smiley in the first round too as he is the best pure guard in this draft. But the FO might want to go with a guy that can play both guard or tackle.It'll be intersting to see what we do if Andrews is gone. Call me crazy but I would not be shocked if we take a WR. Just a hunch I guess.

Ozzy rules!!

Originally posted by Danny
I'd take Smiley in the first round too as he is the best pure guard in this draft. But the FO might want to go with a guy that can play both guard or tackle.It'll be intersting to see what we do if Andrews is gone. Call me crazy but I would not be shocked if we take a WR. Just a hunch I guess.

Ozzy rules!!

Not crazy at all Danny. Rivers and Andrews could very likely be gone at pick 20 overall. Unless someone unexpected slides that scenerio puts a WR as the Best player available IMO.....

But if Rivers and Andrews are gone I'd like to see us trade back 5-10 picks and land another high pick. I think we could get the WR and OL there that would improve us greatly. Say USC's OL Jacobs or Grove, Snee and WR Woods or Evans....

Back
Top Bottom