Doctors Say Tua NOT At Risk For More Concussions | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Doctors Say Tua NOT At Risk For More Concussions

This is so very simple:
If you get a concussion and don't give it proper time to heal, then you are prone to further concussions. If you do give it proper time to heal then you are NOT prone to further concussions anymore than the average person.
Exactly but people will still say “he needs to retire” lol

You don't have to be prone to concussions to get another concussion. If you fall and whack your noodle the wrong way everyone can get one.
Exactly. So the it's just a wording issue then. Because the next time he fall down and get a little bumpy he will get another concussion. So he can be prone or not prone, when he hits his head next and gets another, I guess we will just call it his next concussion

Dolphins are in tight spot w Tua... maybe it work, maybe it do not.. If it do not wk GM should be fired.. bottom line McD need back up plan.. if it dont work next yr and he would be fool not have qb off his choice...

Exactly but people will still say “he needs to retire” lol

The concern isn't over the topic of this thread, the debate about if you are more likely to get a concussion after having had one is really a red herring.

The concern is the damage caused by concussion(s) to your brain. Even with significant 'rest' this damage cannot always be repaired to the state your brain cells were in before the concussion, this is why repeated concussions are of such great concern to the healthy long term functioning of your brain.

For Tua, he has a greater chance to get another concussion because he's an NFL player not because he's had concussions before. Setting aside the fact he could be an elite QB for my Dolphins I do worry that the number and severity of the concussions he's getting could deprive him of a long healthy life after football.

The concern isn't over the topic of this thread, the debate about if you are more likely to get a concussion after having had one is really a red herring.

The concern is the damage caused by concussion(s) to your brain. Even with significant 'rest' this damage cannot always be repaired to the state your brain cells were in before the concussion, this is why repeated concussions are of such great concern to the healthy long term functioning of your brain.

For Tua, he has a greater chance to get another concussion because he's an NFL player not because he's had concussions before. Setting aside the fact he could be an elite QB for my Dolphins I do worry that the number and severity of the concussions he's getting could deprive him of a long healthy life after football.

Yep, I agree with you. He won’t be any more susceptible to more concussions next year than other QBs, but if he were to suffer another major concussion (next year or a few years from now), the risk of long-term health issues rises. I think he’d want to keep playing but there comes a point for any player that suffers multiple traumatic brain injuries where they have to consider retirement.

I’ve said this before, but Sidney Crosby has now gone 10+ years since his concussion issues. I know it’s a different sport, but it has similar concussion challenges to football and Crosby is a guy that possesses the puck a lot so I still think it’s a worthy comparison for Tua. In his case he had a major concussion followed by a series of smaller ones from minor hits that caused the same conversation we’re having with Tua. Fortunately for him, once he took the time to properly heal from his first major brain injury, he has been able to play a decade without a repeat incident. This gives me hope that Tua can still play a full career in the NFL. There are obviously many examples of guys that haven’t been as lucky and were forced to retire but this risk exists for every player in the NFL.

This is from the link you provided"
"...Second impact syndrome (SIS) occurs when two concussions happen in a relatively short period of time and the second concussion is inflicted before the first has fully healed..."
Approximately 300 000 sport-related concussions are reported in the United States each year. An athlete who has suffered 1 concussion is at 3 to 6 times greater risk for suffering a second concussion.

Yes...having a previous concussion and not letting it fully heal, will put you at risk for more concussions...

Since you want to quote Mayo Clinic...

Straight from the horses mouth...
Sigh....

Approximately 300 000 sport-related concussions are reported in the United States each year.1 An athlete who has suffered 1 concussion is at 3 to 6 times greater risk for suffering a second concussion.

Approximately 300 000 sport-related concussions are reported in the United States each year. An athlete who has suffered 1 concussion is at 3 to 6 times greater risk for suffering a second concussion.

they had 2 footnotes at the end of that line. They link to 2 studies quoted below:

"...Players who sustained one concussion in a season were three times more likely to sustain a second concussion in the same season compared with uninjured players..."

"...During follow-up of 4251 player-seasons, 184 players (6.3%) had a concussion, and 12 (6.5%) of these players had a repeat concussion within the same season..."

It seems the key is proximity to the first concussion. Hopefully 9 months will be enough time for a full recovery

I don't know your definition "evidence". The reality is that if 100 neurologists reviewed Tua's medical history I expect at least 75 of them would recommend that he retire from playing football.
This post is so wildly hypocritical, wow :lol:

Even if his brain isn't more susceptible to another concussion, the way he falls back (and plays football in general) increases the risk.

I hope he is able to play again. Would be awesome. I suspect we will sign Jimmy g to back him up then. We need a really good backup qb. Ted bridgewater is not going to cut it but I said that when we signed him.

This post is so wildly hypocritical, wow :lol:
Hypocritical how so ?
The OP is hanging his hat on one doctor's opinion. My perspective is that out of 100 doctors, I imagine that 75 or more would likely advise Tua to retire from football immediately.

Hypocritical how so ?
The OP is hanging his hat on one doctor's opinion. My perspective is that out of 100 doctors, I imagine that 75 or more would likely advise Tua to retire from football immediately.
Youre talking about evidence, and then turn around and give a full fledged opinion piece and pass it off as matter of fact. Thats why.

Are you in the medical field? You know 100 doctors? Whats your basis for these numbers??

Back
Top Bottom