Does Spielman have any negotiating skills at all? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Does Spielman have any negotiating skills at all?

NJPHIN34

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
When I first heard about the trade I was sick to my stomach, but then I read alot of arguments for the trade and finally I started to like it, but in my opinion Rick Spielman and company ripped of by the fat man in Philly, Andy Reid, Cmon now AJ Feely for a 2nd rounder? Is that the best Rick could do? I get this bad feeling that there was no negotiations whatsover and that Spielman was like "r u sure u don't want the 1st rounder too?".......I like the Feely trade but for a 2nd rounder, we got RIPPED OFF PEOPLE!!!

P.S. My Eagles friends up here are thanking me left and right for this trade.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Feely was expendable to the Eagles w/ Mcnabb at QB, they wouldve taken antyhing for him and we gave them a 2nd rounder!!!

Originally posted by NJPHIN34
Feely was expendable to the Eagles w/ Mcnabb at QB, they wouldve taken antyhing for him and we gave them a 2nd rounder!!!

you dont know that. One of the reasons he was never traded last year could be that philly wouldnt take the crap offered them. Its all speculation.

But think about this. Everyone is making such a huge deal about a compensational 2nd rounder next year, that is next year for crying out loud! who the hell cares? Spielman will just keep dealing and eventually end up with one anyways. So what the hell does it matter by then anyways? the only way it will is if Feeley screws up, which is what im sure alot of fans are hoping for now, which is just sick if you ask me.

If Feely ends up a capable QB, and does better than Fielder then it will be well worth a 2nd rounder for next yr. Players have to be given a chance to show if they are good or not. The only thing that worries me a little is what has been said of his deep ball. But everything else points to him be a good replacement for Fielder, if he is as accurate as people say he is, then he will be a hell of an improvement on Fiedler. He may fall flat on his face or shine and make Speilman look like a genusis next yr. Either way I am gald Fiedler won't be behind the regins of the O.

Herm Edwards said that they tried to trade for him last year, but Philly was asking for more than they were willing to give up. And they were going to slap the 1st round tender on him this week.

That combined with the fact that we were running out of options allowed Philly to stand tough and Miami to perhaps overpay to get someone.

We the fans were the ones that DEMANDED a new QB. There isn't much out there in the QB market, so Philly could demand what seems like a "higher" price on the surface. I personally don't think it is that bad of a trade at all. I think it is a very solid move. Reid probably said nothing less than a second. He probably wanted a pick this year so consider us lucky. It is a second rounder NEXT year (which is equivalent to a third this year). At least we kept all of our picks this year, got a new young QB, and signed our new starting QB to a VERY cap-friendly deal that will probably be barely over $1 million this year. This was one VERY important part of this deal because it will allow us to upgrade our O-line as well and strengthen our team as a whole.
Look at it this way.
1. With Brunell we would lose our third this year and cap # close to $5 million. We wouldn't be able to upgrade our line like we want to.
2. With Ramsey we would have lost our first this year and missed out on a STUD WR in the draft this year.
3. With Feeley we keep all of our picks this year. We get our STUD first round WR. We can also use the money saved to upgrade the o-line with maybe Woody and/or Villareal.
Looks like a great job by Speilman and company when you break down everything instead of just complaining because Feeley is a "lesser" known QB.
Give it a chance, it gives us flexibility to do some other things.

Its a valid point. A second rounder seems a little steep for Feeley, no matter how much potential he may have. I would have thought a third rounder tops would be sufficient.

Sure, I'm disappointed now that Rivers is out of the picture, but chances are slim that he would fall to us anyhow.
It's time to give our support to A.J. Feeley. He IS our new starting QB, like it or not.

Originally posted by Surferosa
Its a valid point. A second rounder seems a little steep for Feeley, no matter how much potential he may have. I would have thought a third rounder tops would be sufficient.

Remember a second next year is equivalent to a third this year.
Would you have rather given up the third THIS year?????
I know I sure as h@ll wouldn't. We didn't have much to work with for trade this year. We gave Philly what we had to.
KUDO's to the FO.

I was supporting the trade, I just thought that it was a little too high for us but I guess after some of these arguments its not such a bad trade, good points UNCLEMONTY.......

What's done is done, I think he'll do a good job for us but we need to upgrade the o-line and WR. That's make the off-season a good one.

Ozzy rules!!

Originally posted by Surferosa

Eagles was planning to tender AJ with a 1st. We got a QB that can start now for us. Yeah, he started 5 games but how long has he been in the NFL? Some of guys were going crazy saying Henson/Rivers isnt start-now material.

Originally posted by unclemonty
Sure, I'm disappointed now that Rivers is out of the picture, but chances are slim that he would fall to us anyhow.
It's time to give our support to A.J. Feeley. He IS our new starting QB, like it or not.

This is what Spielman figured also, hence him making a move fast.

Originally posted by unclemonty
Remember a second next year is equivalent to a third this year. Would you have rather given up the third THIS year????? I know I sure as h@ll wouldn't. We didn't have much to work with for trade this year. We gave Philly what we had to.
KUDO's to the FO.

now instead of picking a QB in the early rounds, we can use those picks on a WR & OL. if we dont keep JF, then there is always a chance we will pick a QB in the late rounds or sign a veteran QB.

I was supporting the trade, I just thought that it was a little too high for us but I guess after some of these arguments its not such a bad trade, good points UNCLEMONTY.......

Thanx a lot, I appreciate it.
I was a little upset at first as well, but after laying it all out there, the deal made a TON of sense to me. We need more than JUST a QB and this move will allow that.

As far as Rick Spielman's negototiating skills go, I think you aren't giving him enough credit. Why just yesterday I saw Mr. Spielman bargaining to buy a bagel. The guy wanted 3 bucks up front but Rick told him to give him the bagel now and he would give him 10 bucks in an hour...:lol: Ok lame joke, its late.

Back
Top Bottom