Does Spielman have any negotiating skills at all? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Does Spielman have any negotiating skills at all?

Originally posted by unclemonty

Remember a second next year is equivalent to a third this year.

Can someone please explain this to me? I dont get it.

Originally posted by Dol-Fan Dupree
does anyone know the condition?

I dont believe the condition has been released yet since the deal isnt "official" until March 3rd, I believe.

Originally posted by Muck
Herm Edwards said that they tried to trade for him last year, but Philly was asking for more than they were willing to give up. And they were going to slap the 1st round tender on him this week.

That combined with the fact that we were running out of options allowed Philly to stand tough and Miami to perhaps overpay to get someone.

Philly says they were gonna put a round 1 tender on him. They couldn't get a #2 for him last year, yet a year later whithout having played, they're gonna put a round 1 tag on him? Come on, thats the weakest arguement I've heard so far.

Feely's ability will never justify the pick given to Philly. No one else took the bait, and he was going to be around awhile. Miami has plenty of time to explore other options.

p.s. "r u sure you don't want a first rounder?" haha that was a good luagh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by mbmonk

technically it's worth a 3rd this year, but next year, it's still adds up to a 2nd. Considering AJ is a 3rd string QB, it's worth much more...

Originally posted by mbmonk

All NFL teams got this thing called the "value board". It lets them know what a pick is worth compared to in other rounds.

ie: What the 7th pick in the draft is worth if you wanted to trade into that spot etc.

The rule in this book is that a future round pick is worth one round higher the following year because you get to use that pick a year in advance. So in the books a 1st rounder next year is equivalent to a 2nd rounder this year and a 2nd rounder next year is equivalent to a 3rd rounder this year in their books.

Honestly it's a bit short sighted and this team shouldn't have to operate in the win now frame of mind and have the right to build this team.

It's a good trade for Miami. Honestly...Can Feeley do worse then Jay? No. Even if he doesn't win as many games. Anyone can argue the D won those games, not Fiedler and Lamar Smith won the only playoff game. Only time will tell.

What will all the naysayers say if he turns out to be like Favre?

Originally posted by gunn34
It's a good trade for Miami. Honestly...Can Feeley do worse then Jay? No. Even if he doesn't win as many games. Anyone can argue the D won those games, not Fiedler and Lamar Smith won the only playoff game. Only time will tell.

What will all the naysayers say if he turns out to be like Favre?

Again, the point is being missed.

AJ has nothing to do with the problem. It's what Miami gave up for him, when he could of been hand for less (if the reports are true).

Also, I'm tired of the argument, he can't be worse the Jay. Yeah, Just like Lucas and Griese right? Seems like everyone is better until they have to play. I'm not saying Jay is the answer, but lets get serious. You say "give him a chance, he hasn't played for us yet" but he's already better?

He can be the next Marino, doesn't justify the pick that they gave up (reportedly).

Originally posted by Fisticuff Deuce

Again, the point is being missed.

AJ has nothing to do with the problem. It's what Miami gave up for him, when he could of been hand for less (if the reports are true).

Also, I'm tired of the argument, he can't be worse the Jay. Yeah, Just like Lucas and Griese right? Seems like everyone is better until they have to play. I'm not saying Jay is the answer, but lets get serious. You say "give him a chance, he hasn't played for us yet" but he's already better?

He can be the next Marino, doesn't justify the pick that they gave up (reportedly).

I don't think we could have gotten him for any less. Reid did all of the work developing him for us, and they probably would have just kept him. I'm happy we kept all of THIS year's picks. Next year we can trade another pick from 2006 and get our second rounder back again, same in 2007... To infinity and beyond!!!!!!!

I don't think we could have gotten him for any less. Reid did all of the work developing him for us, and they probably would have just kept him.

If thats the case why didn't Miami just go after someone like Billy Volek? Or waited around to see the Ramsey situation unfold? There were numerous options that would just take time. Obviously Rick Spielman is no better then a little kid who's ready to piss in his pants, because he can't wait till Christmas mourning, so he can open up his presents. With the market, or lack thereof for Feely, he could have been a backup plan.

I don't buy into anything Spielman did to get this deal done. I don't buy into the fact Ried would have just kept someone who was the 3rd stringer. They're a dime a dozen, and hardly of them get used. He would have gladly took a 3rd rounder (even thats stretching it IMO, a conditional 4th is more like it) like it was a Jelly Donut.

If thats the case why didn't Miami just go after someone like Billy Volek? Or waited around to see the Ramsey situation unfold? There were numerous options that would just take time. Obviously Rick Spielman is no better then a little kid who's ready to piss in his pants, because he can't wait till Christmas mourning, so he can open up his presents. With the market, or lack thereof for Feely, he could have been a backup plan.

I don't buy into anything Spielman did to get this deal done. I don't buy into the fact Ried would have just kept someone who was the 3rd stringer. They're a dime a dozen, and hardly of them get used. He would have gladly took a 3rd rounder (even thats stretching it IMO, a conditional 4th is more like it) like it was a Jelly Donut.

here is a quote from an article from NFL Insider Article .

The Dolphins are pinning their hopes on A.J. Feeley.
Feeley's acquistion is Rick Spielman's first move as the team's new general manager (and first in 34 years). He did an extensive statistical analysis of all the quarterbacks who were expected to be available and who had been acquired by trade in recent years, including Aaron Brooks, Jake Delhomme and Feeley.

Spielman and his staff broke down statistics such as quarterback rating when the player's team was ahead, behind and in the fourth quarter. He then rated the quarterbacks to determine which ones had the greatest indication of future success. Make no mistake, this was Spielman's baby and he left no stone unturned to try and ensure he got his guy.

That's why his reputation will be forever linked to this move. If the Dolphins fail to reach playoffs, he will be behind the eight ball with the ownership and fans. More importantly, he could be signing coach Dave Wannstedt's pink slip.

There was a market for Feeley out there. Pitt, Cleve, and ??? all were in the hunt so we made the deal. I believe Volek is RFA also, so he would have cost us picks as well (probably this year). I trust Feeley more than him anyhow. If Ramsey were available, he would have cost us our stud 1st round WR. I'd take Feeley + big WR over Ramsey. Brunell would have cost us our OL in free agency AND our third this year and he is an injury waiting to happen. Why do you think Gibbs is keeping Ramsey??? Henson is DEFINITELY not ready yet and wanted a 10-15 year deal!!!!!! Imagine the h@ll to pay if he flopped. Rivers will probably be gone. Feeley was our best option. With Feeley, we keep our picks, we get our stud WR, we upgrade our O-line, and we get a very cheap, young, promising, starting QB. Feeley was starting over Harrington at Oregon until his injury also.
Have some faith in Speilman's eye for talent. He hasn't let us down yet. Remember he had hand picked Hasselbeck. Wanny's indecision cost us from landing him. Speil wanted A Boldin last year, Wanny over-ruled and took E Moore. I think Speilman is a solid judge of talent, and I will give him my full support until he shows incompetence. If Speilman would have had final say earlier, we would already have an offense of Hasselbeck, Ricky, Konrad, McMike, Chambers, and Boldin. Wanny is the one that made some bad decisions and this deal was all Speilman's baby. I, for one, trust his judgement.

BTW- I'm watching Chappelle and eating a PB and crack sandwich
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

There was a market for Feeley out there. Pitt, Cleve, and ??? all were in the hunt so we made the deal. I believe Volek is RFA also, so he would have cost us picks as well (probably this year). I trust Feeley more than him anyhow. If Ramsey were available, he would have cost us our stud 1st round WR. I'd take Feeley + big WR over Ramsey. Brunell would have cost us our OL in free agency AND our third this year and he is an injury waiting to happen. Why do you think Gibbs is keeping Ramsey??? Henson is DEFINITELY not ready yet and wanted a 10-15 year deal!!!!!! Imagine the h@ll to pay if he flopped. Rivers will probably be gone. Feeley was our best option. With Feeley, we keep our picks, we get our stud WR, we upgrade our O-line, and we get a very cheap, young, promising, starting QB. Feeley was starting over Harrington at Oregon until his injury also.
Have some faith in Speilman's eye for talent. He hasn't let us down yet. Remember he had hand picked Hasselbeck. Wanny's indecision cost us from landing him. Speil wanted A Boldin last year, Wanny over-ruled and took E Moore. I think Speilman is a solid judge of talent, and I will give him my full support until he shows incompetence. If Speilman would have had final say earlier, we would already have an offense of Hasselbeck, Ricky, Konrad, McMike, Chambers, and Boldin. Wanny is the one that made some bad decisions and this deal was all Speilman's baby. I, for one, trust his judgement.

BTW- I'm watching Chappelle and eating a PB and crack sandwich
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Billy Volek is an UFA for the record. Yes, those situations might of had strings attatched, except there were more out there. What about Garcia? He is being slated to be released, and don't tell me he's not as good as Feely because he's been in the PB, while Feely is backup to the backup.

There was still plenty of time to wait to make this deal happen. I've heard one source say Cleveland and Pittsburgh were involved. Look at their QB mess, teams like that don't give this deal anymore cred. Also, Hasslebeck was a flop for awhile, and the fans were begging them to start Dilfer... DILFER! lol, that makes me worry. If DW never met Ricky, you can't say what would of happened. Also, I wanna address the Boldin comment. Make no mistake about it, Spielman didn't want Boldin over Eddie Moore, Spielman didn't want Boldin. He had Moore/Boldin/Calico all rated equal and said to Dave that they should take a WR (Boldin or Calico). Dave wanted the LB. Spielman didn't ask for Boldin, simply a WR... It should have been that obvious to DW.

Also, He wanted Drew Brees over Fletcher. Not that it would make a difference since they both suck, but if that move had been made, you would have called him an idiot, right? I would have..

p.s Chappelle show season 1 kicked ***. Season 2 has been pretty weak if you ask me. Other then the 3 faces of dave, and the Rick James ep, they all have been below Chappelle quality. The new one (the one on tonight) was pretty good (except the little Jon thing).

Last edited by a moderator:

Billy Volek is an UFA for the record. Yes, those situations might of had strings attatched, except there were more out there. What about Garcia? He is being slated to be released, and don't tell me he's not as good as Feely because he's been in the PB, while Feely is backup to the backup.

There was still plenty of time to wait to make this deal happen. I've heard one source say Cleveland and Pittsburgh were involved. Look at their QB mess, teams like that don't give this deal anymore cred. Also, Hasslebeck was a flop for awhile, and the fans were begging them to start Dilfer... DILFER! lol, that makes me worry. If DW never met Ricky, you can't say what would of happened. Also, I wanna address the Boldin comment. Make no mistake about it, Spielman didn't want Boldin over Eddie Moore, Spielman didn't want Boldin. He had Moore/Boldin/Calico all rated equal and said to Dave that they should take a WR (Boldin or Calico). Dave wanted the LB. Spielman didn't ask for Boldin, simply a WR... It should have been that obvious to DW.

Also, He wanted Drew Brees over Fletcher. Not that it would make a difference since they both suck, but if that move had been made, you would have called him an idiot, right? I would have..

p.s Chappelle show season 1 kicked ***. Season 2 has been pretty weak if you ask me. Other then the 3 faces of dave, and the Rick James ep, they all have been below Chappelle quality. The new one (the one on tonight) was pretty good (except the little Jon thing).

1. I think all of our centers vetoed the Garcia choice. LOL
Seriously, I like Garcia, but he is older and will probably want a lot of $$$$$. I think TO also made him appear to be a little better than he really is.
2. Dilfer did WIN a superbowl and has been solid at times.
3. I've read time and time again that A. Boldin (not Calico) was ON THE PHONE with Speilman ready to be selected and Wanny went with E Moore instead. I would have been happy with either. Calico might have produced here (Tenn has a very deep WR corp).
4. That's the first I've heard of Brees. Maybe Brees would have been a better QB here, I doubt it, but it is possible. I thought Brees might be good as well. Fletcher just seems to have NO chance of ever being good. We can thank Dave's good buddy Barry Alvarez for the Fletcher drafting (although Barry also told Dave that he HAD to get Chambers). H@ll, it was Dave's FREAKIN' daughter that talked him into signing her undrafted college friend ADEWALE OGUNLEYE.

I would like to see Fiedler accept a paycut and come back as well. We gain nothing by releasing him. The only way to help our cap is trying to BS him into helping us out and staying!!!

Oh well, we'll know soon enough. We have both created some solid arguments and facts, but while your beer is half empty, mine is half full.
I don't know, I just have a "gut feeling" that Feeley is going to do a solid job. Let's hope my gut is right here!!!!!

PS- That Rick James, Charlie Murphy skit was the BEST!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom