Does Steve Ross's Age Matter For The Dolphins? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Does Steve Ross's Age Matter For The Dolphins?

you know i am not so sure. that was part of my OP. i do believe he really wanted to win a SB, and tried really hard, but was just incompetent, and also had a little bad luck. now, i am worried, at his age, what you describe might be more true OR maybe better said he might be fatigued, and cant stomach starting over again with a new QB or GM. i am still perplexed at the rush to hand tua 5 and $250mm when they could just let him play out his 5th year option, then they can decide after that. look i could be completely wrong. they might fully believe tua is the guy and believe they get him cheaper by locking it down now. but i am worried ross just doesnt want to start over and he thinks the least painful thing to do is to lock tua up now, even if he doesnt believe he is a sb QB

Dude when you post positive stuff you get tons of likes but when you post negative stuff about our QB no one responses

You should be smart enough to figure out what you should be posting

Steve Ross is not your typical bad owner. He has tried to win, as opposed to using the franchise as his personal piggy bank, like many owners in sports tend to do (for example Loria with the Marlins). He has spared no expense, neither payroll nor team facilities. The just released NFLPA players survey shined a very favorable light on him.

However, in his tenure here as owner, without rehashing all the gory details, he has made a lot of poor decisions when it comes to the coaches and GMs he has hired, as well as some other organizational mistakes.

But, at least, his goal really does seem to have been to win a Super Bowl. Spent the money to try and do it, tanked (poorly) to try and do it, and fired coaches and GMs to try and do it.

Now, is winning a Super Bowl still Steve Ross's goal?

He is 83 years old. He knows the clock is ticking. That is one of the reasons why he is now considering selling a piece of the team.

Is it possible at this point, Steve Ross just wants to not suck again, and go through the pain and embarrassment of another rebuild, that could potentially fail as well, and another wash, rinse, repeat? Is that now Ross's goal for the organization - maintain status quo, put a respectable product on the field, and be done with it? Or alternatively, does he believe what is here is Super Bowl caliber stuff for the next 5-10 years?

It sounds like Tua is going to get his big deal. Do not kid yourself, when it comes to 5 years and $250mm, this is an ownership decision.

The million dollar question is what internally do they really think about Tua? Do they believe he is a Super Bowl winning QB, or do they believe they will be "fine" with Tua back there, and put a decent product on the field, but never truly be a great team, especially if Tua takes up a big portion of the salary cap?

Nobody knows the answer to this question.

The question is, does Tua get this deal because they believe he is that good, or at his age Ross does not want to go through the whole process of finding another QB and stinking while you try and do it, and then hearing everyone complain about what a bad owner he is all over again?

This is just food for thought. I do not know the answer. However, I do think the calculus on this one is quite complex, and there may be more things at play than people realize.

To be clear, nowhere did I say Tua is a bad QB. Nowhere did I say they believe they cannot win a Super Bowl with him getting 5 and $250mm. I am just raising the question about what they really think (as opposed to what they say, because of course when they give him the deal they will tell us he is the guy to win us a SB), and what will really drive their (which in this case will ultimately be Ross) decision making?
I think Ross is a good owner. His tampering just showed his commitment to winning, I blame that rat Flores for the loss of draft picks more than I blame Ross. I mean he tries to get the guy Tom Brady and the guy rats him out, that’s some weak ass bullshit.

But, I digress. Early in his tenure he made some questionable decisions. He kept Jeff Ireland too long. Some
Would say the same about Grier, but not me, I think Grier has redeemed himself somewhat as of late. Now he better draft some offensive linemen early this draft, but the team has had talented players at all positions the past couple of years.

I think Ross wants to win and he wants a Super Bowl. But if the team is exciting to watch and a playoff team, one that people think is a contender, then I think that is the minimum standard they are looking for.

It’s not unrealistic that we can field a team that is just a little bit better in key areas than last year to get us over the hump this year, the hump being winning a playoff game or
Two.

As for Tua, there was a long period
Of time last year when he was playing like the top qb in the league or at least was in the conversation. Whatever anyone on this forum thinks,the FO has indicated thst they believe in him and that they want him to be their
Franchise qb. They are committed to him And if guys like Herbert can get the size of
Deal that he got you can expect Tua to get a deal that wld
Make him one of the highest paid QBs in the league.

People always move the goalposts with Tua, it’s kind of ridiculous.

Guys like poopard are going to lose their **** but that’s only because they don’t like him as their qb. The ones that matter, McDaniel, Ross, Grier probably do and that’s what matters at their end of the day.

Last edited:
so i agree with all of these things, but then we keep hearing more and more they are ready to hand tua the 5 and 250mm now. so why would they do this now when they dont have to?
The media and fans push every team to extend rookie contract of any rookie QB who has produced half decent numbers. This is why approximately 20 NFL teams are currently over paying for their QB.
But football is a team game and a team without an excellent defense or effective OL play will not succeed. Paying too much for a QB usually means the team has to compromise its roster for fielding a great defense or OL play.

I think with Ross, it's similar to Jerry Jones, without Jerry's foolish idea that he can be an active owner and "GM" with his bozo son.
Both want to win. Both have made some gaffes along the way.
However, to me, I think Ross is putting his chips into his GM and other "football" people. Jerry is trying to build a team with his silver spoon son.

Jerry seems to be stuck on Prescott, cause while he's limited, he's still a starter in this league and it's not easy to even find a competent QB. Jerry is 81 or 82.
Ross may be feeling the same way. He saw the team in purgatory bouncing between journeymen, failed draft picks etc.
Tua isn't without some weak spots, but he has improved each year and I have a strong feeling that Ross, factoring in his age, may not want to reset the QB carousel.

I don't think he really deep down gives a **** if we ever win a SB. What he wants is this franchise to continue to make him money and grow in value. If that happens without a SB so be it. He's a business man through and through. He invests in his franchise and its real estate holdings (stadium and its surroundings) like he would any other business and looks at the profit/loss like any business owner would.

Jeff and the Marlins....thats another ballgame 😂...guy was primarily rich as an art dealer if I remember right and he was always looking to knee cap the payroll...he wasnt a billionaire real estate corporate guy like Ross. These 2 guys were both rich but it stops there as they had two different mind sets on how to build a business. In the end though the goal is the same, profitability and long term growth of the asset(s). SBs, World Series and all that is a sidebar....or a feather in the cap....icing on the proverbial cake 😂 😂
Hitting a sore spot. Loria was the Expos knight in shining armor to save the team, little did we know he wanted to move it to Florida the whole time he was there.

Now THAT was a bad owner!

so i agree with all of these things, but then we keep hearing more and more they are ready to hand tua the 5 and 250mm now. so why would they do this now when they dont have to? i really wonder if ross just wants to get it over with because he is old and tired and just doesnt want to risk the same process all over again
There is nothing about Ross that seems "old and tired" to me. He is still sharp and active and seems to enjoy owning the Fins. I also think Ross believes in Tua, as do Grier and McD. The other factors are....

$50ish is the going rate for starting QB's. It is only going to go up. I remember Dak signing his big contract and everyone thinking just a few years ago how expensive it was. It is now a bargain. Fans look at these numbers and relate it to their own experience....and it is apples and oranges. The NFL has its own compensation rate that is likely only comparable to the NBA and MLB and it needs to be viewed in that context

Everyone is talking about the NFL being a "business"....which is right. It would be a good business decision to sign Tua now and reduce his cap hit immediately and have him locked up for the next 4 years. The team is competitive currently and we need to sign additional talent. Signing Tua gives us flexibility and the ability to use that flexibility to keep some of our young, rising players

If you don't sign Tua and let him play out his fifth year and become a FA, you have lost your leverage. If he plays well, he is going to cost you a lot more than $50m. For those who keep saying don't pay him and draft a QB.....we have been doing that since the early 2000's and the history of success is hard to find. We have a top 10 QB on the roster and I'm amazed people want to not lock him up for the near future. Gambling on Tua and his ability to continue to improve and grow seems like a much better gamble to me than doing what we have done the last 20 something years with no success

Also, OP, a thread on Ross seems to turn into another one of your Tua threads. I'm curious, is there anything new in here that hasn't alredy been debated in your other threads?

Also, OP, a thread on Ross seems to turn into another one of your Tua threads. I'm curious, is there anything new in here that hasn't alredy been debated in your other threads?
This was always a thread about Tua. He just put Ross in the title as an attempt to throw posters off.

Mentions Ross in a few sentences then goes on about Tua.

. Gambling on Tua and his ability to continue to improve and grow seems like a much better gamble to me than doing what we have done the last 20 something years with no success
This is the same logic the Raiders used (twice) by signing Carr to long term contracts. If there is any sort of pass rush Carr and Tua both fold like a cheap suit.

This is the same logic the Raiders used (twice) by signing Carr to long term contracts. If there is any sort of pass rush Carr and Tua both fold like a cheap suit.
Unfortunately for you......your evaluation of Tua doesn't matter. It is the evaluation of the owner and football staff that does.....

Unless Ross is demanding that he be included on the final 53 man roster because he owns the team, his age doesn’t matter at all. Like everyone, he is getting older and while I have no doubt his goal is to win a SB before he
becomes worm food, I think he learned his lesson in the Brady fiasco.

He will let Grier and McDaniel decide who the QB of the Dolphins will be going forward and I have no doubt that QB will be Tua for the next several years.

Unfortunately for you......your evaluation of Tua doesn't matter. It is the evaluation of the owner and football staff that does.....
If the owner and team staff believe that what Tua brought to the table the past 4 seasons is worthy of a long term high dollar contract then they are incompetent.

If the owner and team staff believe that what Tua brought to the table the past 4 seasons is worthy of a long term high dollar contract then they are incompetent.
Says the guy who wants to trade for Justin Fields or bring back Tannehill.

Last edited:
Isn't the opposite just as possible in that your talent evaluation skills may be the problem?

QB's get paid all the time on the potential that they have. Tua is 25, has improved each year and has more potential to grow in the future

Your not thinking he is deserving is perfectly fine....but this thread is supposedly about Ross and he clearly believes Tua is the guy

As a starter in the NFL, Tua has a record of 32-19. Herbert has a record of 30-32. Yet some so called experts seem to think Herbert would have been the better pick.

In fact Jalen Hurts has a win-loss record at the QB position similar to Tua and the Eagles have obviously had one of the best rosters in the entire league while Hurts has been the Eagles QB.

Other than Mahomes and maybe a healthy Burrow, there isn’t another QB I would want to be the Dolphins QB now or for the foreseeable future.

I am just happy that you are not the GM of the Dolphins or we would be in the same situation we were in for the 20 years the Dolphins were looking for a QB to replace Marino.

Back
Top Bottom