Dolfanmike's draft thoughts | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolfanmike's draft thoughts

DOLFANMIKE

Coaches Corner
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone - long time no see. For those of you that don't know me I'm a Dolfan since 1971 and was one of these forums original posters. I've also coached for 32 years.

Since we have 5 picks in the top two rounds this NFL Draft I've obviously been thinking a lot about the draft. Here's my thoughts -

- The best player in the 2020 draft is Ohio State DE Chase Young. Hands down should be the top pick of the draft for us. His speed out of his stance is amazing and he has the size / speed ratio to dominate games for a decade. He will also make Wilkins and the rest of the DL better!

- Tua is solid, but I'm a little concerned with his feet (not very fast and two foot injuries in two years) and I like Herbert from Oregon's arm strength if we do take young and lose Tua I'd be Ok with that. . I'm also a Rosen fan and think he could develop into our guy. In fact, I'd much rather go with Rosen and draft DE Young and a couple other studs in round 1 and stick with Rosen / Fitzpatrick. Our QB play isn't why we are losing and Fitz is the perfect guy to bring Rosen around. If Rosen struggles next season or can't beat out Fitzpatrick, then we still have two first rounders in 2021 to grab our QB.

- We truly are in a mode to "Draft the best player" regardless of position with our next two years 1st and 2nd rounders. Free Agency will also be sweet as we should have the cap room to sign in just what we need to fill the cracks. Personally I'd like to use FA to find our OL additions and maybe an elite defender.

Last edited:
I think Tua is the move, if he’s not there then you go Chase Young and trade out of the 1st with the Steelers pick. Grab a 1st rounder next year and a 2nd and third this year. Go BPA out of our nerd positions remainder of the draft. This gives you 3 picks next year to move up for Lawerence or Fields while still grabbing the best player in the draft and stacking other positions with remaining 4 out of 5 1st picks.

There is so many holes we need to fill. Some people here willing to throw all those picks at one player. Totally agree, BPA across the board.

Tua, Young and Burrow will likely be off the board for us. I agree with BPA for our picks. Love or Eason will likely be available later for us. We’ll look completely different next year after the free agency.

Hi everyone - long time no see. For those of you that don't know me I'm a Dolfan since 1971 and was one of these forums original posters. I've also coached for 32 years.

Since we have 5 picks in the top two rounds this NFL Draft I've obviously been thinking a lot about the draft. Here's my thoughts -

- The best player in the 2020 draft is Ohio State DE Chase Young. Hands down should be the top pick of the draft for us. His speed out of his stance is amazing and he has the size / speed ratio to dominate games for a decade. He will also make Wilkins and the rest of the DL better!

- Tua is solid, but I'm a little concerned with his feet (not very fast and two foot injuries in two years) and I like Herbert from Oregon's arm strength if we do take young and lose Tua I'd be Ok with that. . I'm also a Rosen fan and think he could develop into our guy. In fact, I'd much rather go with Rosen and draft DE Young and a couple other studs in round 1 and stick with Rosen / Fitzpatrick. Our QB play isn't why we are losing and Fitz is the perfect guy to bring Rosen around. If Rosen struggles next season or can't beat out Fitzpatrick, then we still have two first rounders in 2021 to grab our QB.

- We truly are in a mode to "Draft the best player" regardless of position with our next two years 1st and 2nd rounders. Free Agency will also be sweet as we should have the cap room to sign in just what we need to fill the cracks. Personally I'd like to use FA to find our OL additions and maybe an elite defender.
Good to have you back Mike.

Tua, Young and Burrow will likely be off the board for us. I agree with BPA for our picks. Love or Eason will likely be available later for us. We’ll look completely different next year after the free agency.

I know we played good last week but you honestly think we pick 4th or higher? I don’t see a world in which we have worse than the 3rd pick and 1st isn’t out of the question. We play the bengals and the jets once. Jets play the bengals and the redskins. Falcons don’t really play anyone but have such a high strength of schedule that any tie they lose and I can’t see them not get a win with Ryan and Julio.

I think we will have 1 or 2 overall and two in the top 12

I know we played good last week but you honestly think we pick 4th or higher? I don’t see a world in which we have worse than the 3rd pick and 1st isn’t out of the question. We play the bengals and the jets once. Jets play the bengals and the redskins. Falcons don’t really play anyone but have such a high strength of schedule that any tie they lose and I can’t see them not get a win with Ryan and Julio.
Julio might play this year

I think we will have 1 or 2 overall and two in the top 12
I highly doubt that pick from Pitt will be a top 12 pick. Right now it's #17 and their schedule will be easier now plus with all the bad teams I just don't see it being any higher than 15 if that.

That Cincinnati game and the rematch against the Jets will go a long way in determining the number one overall pick.

My priority at number one overall would be Tua, but I wouldn't be heartbroken if Miami ended up with Young.

Also agree with the OP that Rosen could still be the guy. That's probably a minority viewpoint, but not ready to dismiss that possibility.

I see us picking two or three worst case scenario. If we miss out on Tua I can see us just trading down.

Say we pick #2, say Bengals take Tua, say Falcons pick #4. I can see them wanting Chase Young. How about their 2nd, 3rd and second next year?

I see us picking two or three worst case scenario. If we miss out on Tua I can see us just trading down.

Say we pick #2, say Bengals take Tua, say Falcons pick #4. I can see them wanting Chase Young. How about their 2nd, 3rd and second next year?
what if the falcons then take Burrow? They would lynch Grier

Joe burrow looks like a winner to me, not just that he destroyed Bama....but he’s developed this year into a very accurate QB, Some want too lump his first season in with this year to downgrade him....But looking at this year you can see his growth and development....I would be great with drafting Joe Burrow!

Back
Top Bottom