Dolphan Draft Reality? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphan Draft Reality?

So Be

Club Member
Reaction score
I've been reading a number of posts on how we have to build through the draft, forget high priced FA, should not trade a 3rd round pick for a starter, we can get 2 or 3 rookie starters on the OL, a better RB, a good TE, a LB, a S, etc, etc.

In all due respect. I enjoy the enthusiasm of the draft as much as the next but, the draft is WAY overvalued by most fans. We are not replacing 9 starters with 6 picks, and we would be lucky to get 1 or 2 starters for this year's team.

As to getting 2-3 starter on the OL, ain't gonna happen, and IF it does our OL will be worse than last year. In over 15 years of drafting we found 3 VG starters in Carey, Pouncey, and Long, who was #1 overall. Now, we're looking for 2-3 this year.

FA is the only way to fix this team's problems this year, and maybe we can get some help from 1 or 2 picks. That's the reality of the situation.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=2700&type=team

For those needing some history, click on the above link.

Hopefully, we can address a majority of our needs in fa. We will see how savvy our new GM is. I hope he puts us in a position where we are able to go with the BPA. But, we will see....

My opinion is unchanged. We need to draft 3 OL that are going to be solid players. My preference would be to draft 3 OL in the top 4 rounds with 2 of them being OT's. We have a very deep OT class this year and there's good players to be had. I'd target in on Taylor Lewan in round 1 and maybe move up a bit to get him. He has the long levers needed in the pass pro and the big physical nasty demeanor needed to move people in the run game.

We can easily get a RT in round 2 or 3 maybe even. I'd try to grab Hurst out of UNC in round 3 because he's a round 1 talent who needs a year to heal and bulk up but can compete at LT. We can pick up a guard somewhere as well. Maybe two. This is a great year to be rebuilding an OL via the draft, particularly the expensive positions like LT. I'm hoping we do it.

The salary cap is a thing...

I don't believe we will fix the line in the draft, for reasons you mentioned. I think we should concentrate all our free agency efforts on the line.

It's more probable that we hit on a WR in the first round and a RB in the second IMO.

My opinion is unchanged. We need to draft 3 OL that are going to be solid players. My preference would be to draft 3 OL in the top 4 rounds with 2 of them being OT's. We have a very deep OT class this year and there's good players to be had. I'd target in on Taylor Lewan in round 1 and maybe move up a bit to get him. He has the long levers needed in the pass pro and the big physical nasty demeanor needed to move people in the run game.

We can easily get a RT in round 2 or 3 maybe even. I'd try to grab Hurst out of UNC in round 3 because he's a round 1 talent who needs a year to heal and bulk up but can compete at LT. We can pick up a guard somewhere as well. Maybe two. This is a great year to be rebuilding an OL via the draft, particularly the expensive positions like LT. I'm hoping we do it.

If we draft 3 on the offensive line Philbin and Hickey are history. Giving them two years is telling them you have a limited amount of time, and lineman wont sell tickets or produce in the first couple years unless they are absolute studs which we wont get at 19+.

BTW I heard something interesting on the radio today, it was an interview with the Falcons GM and he was talking about the line (their line in this case but it's a NFL issue). The NFL has so many restrictions on when the teams can meet, practice, the types of practice they can have, that it's very tough developing rookie lineman. I thought that was something we should take into account in the Dolphins situation.

If we draft 3 on the offensive line Philbin and Hickey are history. Giving them two years is telling them you have a limited amount of time, and lineman wont sell tickets or produce in the first couple years unless they are absolute studs which we wont get at 19+.

BTW I heard something interesting on the radio today, it was an interview with the Falcons GM and he was talking about the line (their line in this case but it's a NFL issue). The NFL has so many restrictions on when the teams can meet, practice, the types of practice they can have, that it's very tough developing rookie lineman. I thought that was something we should take into account in the Dolphins situation.

Great point, and completely agree. The lack of practices with pads and little real hitting has diminished the rookie OL coming into the league. They have little idea what they are in for until actual games, and are then overmatched and somewhat lost.

I don't believe we will fix the line in the draft, for reasons you mentioned. I think we should concentrate all our free agency efforts on the line.

It's more probable that we hit on a WR in the first round and a RB in the second IMO.

I'm thinking DT in the first, again depending on FA. I have totally disagreed on the draft being held after FA. It should be reversed. You have no idea who will be available in the draft, and you can easily fix a position in FA that you really did not want to if you knew who would be there in the draft.

I've been reading a number of posts on how we have to build through the draft, forget high priced FA, should not trade a 3rd round pick for a starter, we can get 2 or 3 rookie starters on the OL, a better RB, a good TE, a LB, a S, etc, etc.

In all due respect. I enjoy the enthusiasm of the draft as much as the next but, the draft is WAY overvalued by most fans. We are not replacing 9 starters with 6 picks, and we would be lucky to get 1 or 2 starters for this year's team.

As to getting 2-3 starter on the OL, ain't gonna happen, and IF it does our OL will be worse than last year. In over 15 years of drafting we found 3 VG starters in Carey, Pouncey, and Long, who was #1 overall. Now, we're looking for 2-3 this year.

FA is the only way to fix this team's problems this year, and maybe we can get some help from 1 or 2 picks. That's the reality of the situation.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=2700&type=team

For those needing some history, click on the above link.

We arent going to be able to fix this team in 1 year period.

The foundation(or lack thereof) for our 1-15 season wasnt built in 2007, it was built in 2000-2004. The black void of incoming talent during those years just destroyed us. That team was filled with a bunch of rookies and a bunch of players a year or two away from retirement. No 28 year old veterans in the prime of their careers ready to carry us.

To a lesser extent, we repeated the same mistake. I bitched for years that missing on entire draft classes was going to bite us in the ass. Well, here we are. Its not going to be easy un****ing this roster. The best way to having lasting success is a hefty injection of talent via the draft, using all of our resources in the best way possible, but that wont really pay dividends until 2015...at the earliest.

Free agency is a nice compliment, but using it to fill key position on a roster is folly. Which this website knows and points out(mocks might be the better word) when it comes to teams that arent the Miami Dolphins. Hope that Hickey can hit the ground running, because if he cant we are in a world of hurt for years to come.

We arent going to be able to fix this team in 1 year period.

The foundation(or lack thereof) for our 1-15 season wasnt built in 2007, it was built in 2000-2004. The black void of incoming talent during those years just destroyed us. That team was filled with a bunch of rookies and a bunch of players a year or two away from retirement. No 28 year old veterans in the prime of their careers ready to carry us.

To a lesser extent, we repeated the same mistake. I bitched for years that missing on entire draft classes was going to bite us in the ass. Well, here we are. Its not going to be easy un****ing this roster. The best way to having lasting success is a hefty injection of talent via the draft, using all of our resources in the best way possible, but that wont really pay dividends until 2015...at the earliest.

Free agency is a nice compliment, but using it to fill key position on a roster is folly. Which this website knows and points out(mocks might be the better word) when it comes to teams that arent the Miami Dolphins. Hope that Hickey can hit the ground running, because if he cant we are in a world of hurt for years to come.

Although I agree with most of what you have posted, there is no period on fixing this team this year. Bring the OL to average or better, fix the Wallace connection, sort out the DT's, and we will be a SCARY playoff team THIS YEAR.

We really don't need 9 new starters. If you keep Patterson then you won't need a starter for the DB, but if you do cut him you'd use that money to sign another starting vet in FA. I'm almost positive Clemons is signing back. We need thunder to Miller's lightning, so one draft pick there. We need 4 new offensive lineman and i'm guessing half of them are going to be FA with the other being draft picks, 2-3 picks there. Linebackers have starters, but we NEED depth and possibly someone to beat out Wheeler(shouldn't be hard), one pick OR a FA. At Tightend we need another seam threat receiving type. Can Sims be that guy? I'd sign a vet just in case and that's done. At DT we'll be signing back one of our FA guys and the other spot will be Odricks. We might sign a vet and be done with that position altogether. DE and WR are stacked. So, all I see is 4 maybe 5 draft picks needed there, which leaves us flexibility to maybe take BPA somewhere early on. We're a lot better off then people on this board think.. A oline away from being a very good team, imo...

We really don't need 9 new starters. If you keep Patterson then you won't need a starter for the DB, but if you do cut him you'd use that money to sign another starting vet in FA. I'm almost positive Clemons is signing back. We need thunder to Miller's lightning, so one draft pick there. We need 4 new offensive lineman and i'm guessing half of them are going to be FA with the other being draft picks, 2-3 picks there. Linebackers have starters, but we NEED depth and possibly someone to beat out Wheeler(shouldn't be hard), one pick OR a FA. At Tightend we need another seam threat receiving type. Can Sims be that guy? I'd sign a vet just in case and that's done. At DT we'll be signing back one of our FA guys and the other spot will be Odricks. We might sign a vet and be done with that position altogether. DE and WR are stacked. So, all I see is 4 maybe 5 draft picks needed there, which leaves us flexibility to maybe take BPA somewhere early on. We're a lot better off then people on this board think.. A oline away from being a very good team, imo...

Do you honestly believe we can draft 2 starters on the OL, and not be much worse than last year. I cannot even imagine it in my wildest dreams.

Agreed. I'm all about building through the draft but sometimes you have to pick up some free agents. Miami will/should pick up at least one offensive lineman in free agency. Two would be better. In fact I will bet money on two or more.

Back
Top Bottom