Dolphins 1st Round Draft Picks since 1990, Which did you like/dislike? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins 1st Round Draft Picks since 1990, Which did you like/dislike?

What OL did Jimmy ever draft?
Look at the RB's-Cecil Collins,JJ Johnson,John Avery.took chances on Lawrance Phillips
and Dimetrius Underwood(how did those work out)cut Tyrone Wheatly(not great
but better than those others.Hired Kippy Brown as OC.Took audibles away from
Dan...Don Shula or Bill Walsh he wasn't.

RICHMOND WEBB,MARCO COLEMAN,TROY VINCENT, O.J. MCDUFFIE, TIM BOWENS are the only ones worth mentioning.

The top half of that list contributed little, underachieved, or were just plain bad.

Our poor drafting and personel moves, are the main reasons we picking #2 in 2005..

Jimmy did NOT miss out on Moss. He traded back because he thought Randy would go earlier and then he was picked a few picks before our pick if I am not mistaken. He traded back very early because he tried to stockpile picks and assumed Moss wouldn't be available.

pwn3dyo said:
Webb,McDuffie,Bowens,Gardener (short time we had him) only good ones imo

Too right. but mcduffie lost the use of some of his toes and retired and bowens is lucky to play more than one hgame a season before he is in a wheel chair

PhiNomina said:
Jimmy did NOT miss out on Moss. He traded back because he thought Randy would go earlier and then he was picked a few picks before our pick if I am not mistaken. He traded back very early because he tried to stockpile picks and assumed Moss wouldn't be available.

I believe when we traded down Randy was still on the board. I remember being upset we didnt pick him. We didnt trade down till our pick and we were supposed to pick 19th(?) that year. If my memory serves me correctly.
:confused: :confused:

We did trade out of 19th that year with GB, and they picked no other than Vonnie Holliday with that pick. Pretty funny huh?

Last edited by a moderator:
YEAR PK (OVR) NAME POS SCHOOL
2004 19 (19) VERNON CAREY OG MIAMI (FLA.) - After only one season, there is no way to judge this, unless you count the fact that our first round pick was also a fourth round pick. Stupid patriots!:fire:
2003 RW - another great year by ricky and within two years he shattered all the running records for the dolphins.
2002 RW - Great pick made wanny look like a genius. would've netting him coach of the year if we hadn't have had another december swoon.
2001 26 (26) JAMAR FLETCHER CB WISCONSIN - Not a need pick, the trashing the Rams were putting on everyone made wanny bite on this, we could've had a franchise player instead. (Brees, duh)
1998 29 (29) JOHN AVERY RB MISSISSIPPI - this was the WTF pick.
1997 15 (15) YATIL GREEN WR MIAMI (FLA.) great pick, but again a 20/20 situation.
1996 20 (20) DARYL GARDENER DT BAYLOR - Great while he lasted, like ricky hindsight is 20/20, should've been used elsewhere.
1995 25 (25) BILLY MILNER OT HOUSTON - Horrible, don trying to draft a RT to bookend with Webb.
1994 20 (20) TIM BOWENS DT MISSISSIPPI - Awesome mr. reliable until last year.
1993 25 (25) O.J. MCDUFFIE WR PENN STATE - awesome too bad about the "toe"
1992 7 (7) TROY VINCENT DB WISCONSIN - Awesome talent, should never have been let go.
1992 12 (12) MARCO COLEMAN LB GEORGIA TECH - Great talent, short lived.
1991 23 (23) RANDAL HILL WR MIAMI (FLA.) - BAD
1990 9 (9) RICHMOND WEBB OT TEXAS A&M - BEST

FIREMEDIC822 said:
Skipping Randy Moss in 98 for John Avery. I knew at the time that one would be a bad move. One of very few JJ missed on.

We didnt skip randy moss....we picked 29th...randy went 21st i think....jimmy blew this when he traded the pick BEFORE the draft....I'm sure he was kicking himself when Randy fell that far. Still a STUPID MOVE though.

FIREMEDIC822 said:
Jimmy has 3 Super Bowl rings and 2(?) national championships. Wanny 0 and 0
You cant compare the 2.

I'm a big UM fan and respect JJ accomplishments, however his results as a Dolphin were mixed at best. He made some good personnel moves and draft choices; he made some very bad mistakes too. Nobody is perfect.

He came making big promises, he then disrespected the history of the franchise, and bad mouthed Shula and clashed with Marino.

He also tried to quit prior to his final year and was talked out of it.

2004 19 (19) VERNON CAREY OG IMO will soon shine
2001 26 (26) JAMAR FLETCHER CB still do not understand this pick
1998 29 (29) JOHN AVERY RB Jimmy was desperate for ring
1997 15 (15) YATIL GREEN WR what could have been...
1996 20 (20) DARYL GARDENER his greatness didn't last
1995 25 (25) BILLY MILNER OT Shula was desperate for ring
1994 20 (20) TIM BOWENS DT IMO Best D-player in last 10 yrs
1993 25 (25) O.J. MCDUFFIE WR Fine player; unfortunate injury
1992 7 (7) TROY VINCENT DB Great player we couldn't afford(like Surtain now !?!)
1992 12 (12) MARCO COLEMAN LB Great as a rookie
1991 23 (23) RANDAL HILL WR traded for Vincent pick
1990 9 (9) RICHMOND WEBB OT Best O lineman since 1990

Yelorag said:
I'm a big UM fan and respect JJ accomplishments, however his results as a Dolphin were mixed at best. He made some good personnel moves and draft choices; he made some very bad mistakes too. Nobody is perfect.

He came making big promises, he then disrespected the history of the franchise, and bad mouthed Shula and clashed with Marino.

He also tried to quit prior to his final year and was talked out of it.

I agree with most of that but you still cant compare him to Wanny. That was the premise of that post. I didnt like what he did here either but he still accomplished more as a coach than most. On all levels.

and guess who green bay picked with our 19th.....vonnie holliday...:eek:

afishfan said:
We didnt skip randy moss....we picked 29th...randy went 21st i think....jimmy blew this when he traded the pick BEFORE the draft....I'm sure he was kicking himself when Randy fell that far. Still a STUPID MOVE though.

I could of swore we made the trade during the draft. I can remember being piss@# off when we made the trade and he was still on the board. I could be wrong though.:confused:

Back
Top Bottom