Dolphins 1st Round Draft Picks since 1990, Which did you like/dislike? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins 1st Round Draft Picks since 1990, Which did you like/dislike?

I don't care what Jimmy did for Dallas,I just go on what him and all that
Cowboy garbage did to my beloved Dolphins.The amount of talent on
those Cowboys teams was awsome.Jimmy didn't have to coach.It was
a case of if your talent is so superior to every else,you can be
very vanilla in how you coach.He brought that same approach to Miami
without the talent.This is where Wanny learned it from.Dave was Jimmy's
hand pick boy.So the 4-12 season was the final death knell of what Jimmy
started.

FIREMEDIC822 said:
I agree with most of that but you still cant compare him to Wanny. That was the premise of that post. I didnt like what he did here either but he still accomplished more as a coach than most. On all levels.

You are right no comparison. Wanny was a miserable failure. Bad personnel moves, assist coach’s mutiny in the front office and a complete breakdown of the offensive system. The place was run like a zoo. No wonder we are knee deep in dodo.

FIREMEDIC822 said:
Skipping Randy Moss in 98 for John Avery. I knew at the time that one would be a bad move. One of very few JJ missed on.

Wait, did we trade down that year, because Moss was picked 21 or 22...

2004 19 (19) VERNON CAREY OG MIAMI (FLA.)

TBD (To Be Determined). Make or break season for him, IMO.

2001 26 (26) JAMAR FLETCHER CB WISCONSIN

B.U.S.T.! - Could have drafted Brees! :fire:

1998 29 (29) JOHN AVERY RB MISSISSIPPI

B.U.S.T.! - We passed on Randy Moss for him!? :eek: :eek: :fire: Jimmie's worse draft pick...EVER (I think).

1997 15 (15) YATIL GREEN WR MIAMI (FLA.)

B.U.S.T.! - Big injury concerns coming out of college. Nothing changed in the pros. Jimmy should have seen that one coming.

1996 20 (20) DARYL GARDENER DT BAYLOR

Good but not great pick. Unfortunately, the only first round pick that worked out for Jimmy. Gardner has some serious psychological problems (IMO) which prevented him from being (1) a good team player and (2) from realizing his potential. Dominated at times.

1995 25 (25) BILLY MILNER OT HOUSTON

BIGGEST BUST OF THEM ALL! One of Shula's worst personnel decisions. Even worse than Eric Kumerow.

1994 20 (20) TIM BOWENS DT MISSISSIPPI

Great pick by Shula. He'll retire a Dolphin (hopefully).

1993 25 (25) O.J. MCDUFFIE WR PENN STATE

Great pick by Shula. Got shafted towards the end of his career.

1992 7 (7) TROY VINCENT DB WISCONSIN

Great pick by Shula. Too bad we didn't resign him.

1992 12 (12) MARCO COLEMAN LB GEORGIA TECH

So-So/OK pick. He had alot of heart but little to no speed/acceleration.

1991 23 (23) RANDAL HILL WR MIAMI (FLA.)

Great trade value pick in terms of us having traded him the following off season to Arizona for their number one the following season which in turn got us Troy Vincent. As a player he stunk because he wouldn't/couldn't go over the middle.

1990 9 (9) RICHMOND WEBB OT TEXAS A&M

Great great pick.

My vote for best pick since 1990 is Richmond Webb. Interestingly, my opinion of Shula's drafts changed. He made some horrible first round draft picks from 84-88 IMO, but almost all of his late first round draft picks turned out really great...except for the Billy Milner pick. Man Jimmy and Wanny sure made some horrible decisions with their first rounder. At least Jimmy was somewhat redeemed by his later round draft picks.

Namor said:
Cowboy garbage did to my beloved Dolphins.The amount of talent on
those Cowboys teams was awsome.Jimmy didn't have to coach.It was
started.

I guess we will agree to disagree. Doesnt matter now. Heres to a new beginning.:cooldude:

Namor said:
Namor said:
Cowboy garbage did to my beloved Dolphins. The amount of talent on

those Cowboys teams was awsome. Jimmy didn't have to coach.It was

started.

Jimmy didn't have to coach, are you kidding ? How did they get the right talent, coaches and system? Remember his first year ? He turned it around pretty quick, give him that.

JJ is no saint , but how did he get it done with the egomaniac of an owner. He gets A+ for Dallas and a C for the Dolphins

I not really flaming you or nothing,the way I look at it is,your a Dolphin fan so
you must be cool.The Cowboys were a great dynasty but Jimmy didn't have
any fire when he got here,just ego.I'll never forgive Jimmy for disrespecting
Shula and Marino.I'll always consider Dave,LiL' Jimmy.

2001 was the first year I ever payed any attention to the draft, and even I knew that Jamar Fletcher was a stupid pick. Last year when we traded up I was saying "not Carey not Carey...anybody but Carey...they wouldn't trade up for Carey...it's gotta be Wilfork" and then I screamed obsenities at the top of my lungs and threw stuff for about 15 minutes. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong.

Well at the time I really liked us picking John Avery. The guy had moves, you can't deny that. I liked his shifty and quick style of running (a la a poor man's Barry). He just couldn't make the transistion to the NFL. And at the time, no one really knew Randy Moss would turn into one of the top 3 WRs in the NFL. Anyone that says they did is lying. You gotta remember, no one knows how a player will truely play in the NFL until they actually suit up and get out there on sunday. Yes, some players are who are more likely to make the transistion, that's why they go in the 1st round. But you needen't look farther than the Ryan Leaf's or the Ki-Jana Carters to see that even the most outstanding college prospect will turn out to be nothing more than a water boy....

I remember back in the day in 98, I was only 12 years old and I bought a John Avery Rookie Card for $1. I was hoping someday it would be worth more than that.
Thinking about it now, I also have a Yatil Green rookie card and a J.J. Johnson card.
That Sucks.

Randall Hill was a mistake,but recall they traded him to the Cardinals for their 1st rounder the following year. This was the 7th overall pick, which was used to draft Troy Vincent. So it turned out to be a pretty good pick.

Minnphin said:
2001 was the first year I ever payed any attention to the draft, and even I knew that Jamar Fletcher was a stupid pick. Last year when we traded up I was saying "not Carey not Carey...anybody but Carey...they wouldn't trade up for Carey...it's gotta be Wilfork" and then I screamed obsenities at the top of my lungs and threw stuff for about 15 minutes. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong.

I did not scream obsenities, but had a similar reaction. As soon as Philly picked Shawn Andrews I kept saying "trade down and get more picks. Trade back to get Woods,Smiley,Snee, or Starks. If we stay where we are draft Wilfork not Carey. If you want him, trade down." When we traded up I kept saying "We're getting Wilfork, why else would we trade up?" when they said Carey, I was pretty disappointed, mainly because we could've traded down and gotten him.

004 19 (19) VERNON CAREY OG MIAMI (FLA.)--- Work in Progress
2001 26 (26) JAMAR FLETCHER CB WISCONSIN--- Never panned out for us
1998 29 (29) JOHN AVERY RB MISSISSIPPI--- Bust
1997 15 (15) YATIL GREEN WR MIAMI (FLA.)--- Damaged goods
1996 20 (20) DARYL GARDENER DT BAYLOR--- Promising career until that back injury
1995 25 (25) BILLY MILNER OT HOUSTON--- What the Fcuk happend to him?
1994 20 (20) TIM BOWENS DT MISSISSIPPI--- Still tickin'/consistant when healthy!!
1993 25 (25) O.J. MCDUFFIE WR PENN STATE--- Great posession WR/ Career ended early
1992 7 (7) TROY VINCENT DB WISCONSIN--- Solid DB with game smarts and book smarts
1992 12 (12) MARCO COLEMAN LB GEORGIA TECH--- Had a good run w/ us...salary cap casualty
1991 23 (23) RANDAL HILL WR MIAMI (FLA.)--- Bonehead pick
1990 9 (9) RICHMOND WEBB OT TEXAS A&M--- one of the best pass blocking linemen ever......
I have 5 or 6 outta 10 depending how Carey develops..... That's not top of the litter but it's not too bad either,,, IMHO

Back
Top Bottom